Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Handover Event -- July 28, 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He thanked S & X owners for making this happen

Roadster owners got no love. :( Without them we wouldn't have had the S or X either.

In any case, I hope the faults we may find with the presentation don't diminish our appreciation of the milestone that Tesla has achieved today.

Bruce.

At least the trunk opening is larger now.

Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 10.28.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 10.28.28 PM.png

From the M3 FAQ: "This means international Model 3 deliveries will begin in late 2018, contingent upon regulatory approvals, staring with left-hand drive markets, followed by right-hand drive markets in 2019."

That is a bummer, guess I'll be waiting for 1.5years more then until 3 lands in Finland.

Reactions: hobbes
Great Specs. But overall event was soft. I love Elon but he needs professional presentation coaching. I'm concerned they downplaying the model 3 to try and sell more s/x. He spent more time talking about what could go wrong with production than he did actually talking about the car.

Honestly, I was relieved when Elon took the stage. Everything before felt stiff and too rehearsed. Elon's demeanor and unpolished speaking nature adds to his likability on-stage. I was just bummed when it ended so abruptly, but very happy overall for Tesla and the future.

A little disappointing no real options were mentioned and no final reveal of the UI. Oh well. Pretty much a given I'll be getting the range version, but I might wait a bit to see what the Performance/Dual motor versions are like and how much they cost.
One of the youtube livestreams that ran late has a pretty good overview of the UI during their test ride. For example, you use your fingers on the control panel to direct the air vent direction. Also you use the thumbwheels on the streering wheel to adjust it, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: cdub and mhan00
Do the math. Employee cars FIRST. It's widely been reported 3-4k orders for them. August 100 cars, Sept 1500 cars etc... You don't need to know details yet for configuration. You've no shot of getting your car for more than 3 month's time.

I heard estimates anywhere from 12-15,000 employees reserved. With that in mind, I don't expect any 'non-employee' customers to be shipping until near the end of the year.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
Did we witness a delivery event - without any actual, you know, deliveries? :confused:

And they didn't even use 'autosteering'/autopilot to drive the car around or indicate progress on a coast to coast trip using self-driving tech. I get it was more of a company employee event, but many of us reservation holders are also anxiously awaiting the release of this game changer.

Great Specs. But overall event was soft. I love Elon but he needs professional presentation coaching. I'm concerned they downplaying the model 3 to try and sell more s/x. He spent more time talking about what could go wrong with production than he did actually talking about the car.

If that was the goal. He sold me on getting a S instead. However I for sure will be looking to get a P/D/Ludicrous Model 3. Would be way cheaper than getting a ludicrous mode Model S.

Some questions and comments I came away with after watching and reading so far. So I looked over the press packet and wondered if the glass roof in the PUP package has UV and IR what is the standard roof then.

Some of the reviews and online videos from the event/test drive revealed some interesting aspects to me such as the key card, pockets in the doors, lighted vanity mirror (although struck me funny that the flap opened downward and not up), choice of standard open console or PUP enclosed console, 2 charging ports for a phone (thought I read or interpreted this as being both in the front). I like our MS soft interior lighting and noticed that in a test drive car. While more minimal, I thought it had some nice interior features and things the average joe might expect in his car.

I will say I love our MS and think I would find it hard to go with something smaller. Really feeling spoiled by it and kind of hate driving our other car which is an older fully loaded Toyota Avalon, so similar size. In fact drove it so little recently that we needed to have the battery jumped (and couldn't do it with our Tesla!). However, if and when they actually get the M3s in the showroom I'd be interested to drive it for comparison and see how I would feel with the center screen. That has been something with changes in vision I have wondered about. I am still "parking lot shy" with our MS so a smaller car does have its advantages. Great job on the design and I know lots of people will be checking it out and loving the styling and electric advantages. Biggest problem I see them having right now is getting them made fast enough for people who are in the market to buy and can't wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skotty and Bebop
I found a video on YouTube that I think is the one Engle was talking about, Channel name: Now You Know. The ability to adjust the airflow looks amazing and pretty damn intuitive on the screen. Going back to watch the rest now.

Edit: not a fan of using the touchscreen to open the glove compartment.

Edit 2: so far the touchscreen looks a LOT more responsive than the one in the S. It had better be, given everything is controlled by it. Tesla really needs to make sure that stays smooth with no slowdown, or that could get wildly annoying.

Edit 3: I really like the look of the interior. I was iffy on it at first when the 3 was first revealed, but it has grown on me and I like the simplicity and it looks insanely easy to clean. The airflow concern I had (I like to blow cold air on my face even on mild days) about the one long vent is completely alleviated after seeing the vid. The airflow adjustment looks very customizable. It really depends on Tesla nailing the software for the screen. If it's buttery smooth like in the vid, it would be a dream to use. If it has slowdown or it lags, then it could quickly become an annoying nightmare. Can't wait for test drives to become available.

Last edited:
I am so disappointed... expected so much more...why did they lie to us all this time?

Where is the fully autonomous driving? Where is the 500 mile range? Where is the hyperdrive acceleration? The diamond coated sapphire blue color? The production ramp to 250K produced by October? Why didn't Tesla employees show up at my house to high five me and deliver a bottle of Dom? No personalized text from Elon. Nothing about crossover SpaceX technology. Not a single mention of life on Mars.

I am canceling my reservation as soon as my computer recovers from the awful live video feed and I manage to stop sobbing.

One of the youtube livestreams that ran late has a pretty good overview of the UI during their test ride. For example, you use your fingers on the control panel to direct the air vent direction. Also you use the thumbwheels on the streering wheel to adjust it, etc.

Are you referring to Erik's video? He and friends get in for their test drive just after 1:45:00 in the video and good look at the screen and vent controls.

what a disappointment. a year and a half of holding our cash -- these cars are now driving on the street and we still have no idea what options are available and what they cost?

somehow people here will make excuses as to why that is acceptable to them. so glad i preordered an xc60 since my initial reservation. was holding out hope that elon had something up his sleeve, but he wasn't even wearing a shirt.

You just couldn't wait a few minutes longer for the press kit to be released, eh? :rolleyes: