Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Handover Event -- July 28, 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jalopnik is mostly petrol heads, so yeah, there's going to be an inherent bias from their writers and commenters against electric cars in general, just like there's a bias here and on places like Electrek in favor of them.

I am aware of their take, but saying or implying Tesla can't sell the cars at the announced $35,000 price point is just plain wrong and shall we say fake news. Always good to consider the source and what they feel they have to protect, in this case gasoline vehicles and all the peripheral businesses associated with them from oil/gas to repair shops and part manufacturers. EVs will be quite an assault on them over time. Kind of reminds me of when smaller Japanese cars with better mileage came to the U.S. and look at the car market years later.

Reactions: EinSV and madodel
I'm curious about the climate control from the app...

Can it be used if the car is unplugged? I believe the Model S can do that, my Kia Soul EV cannot.

In the S, how long will it run for when remotely activated?

RT

You can pre-condition your car with heat or A/C for 30 minutes through the app. If you are not talking about using the app but want some climate control through the screen such as Cabin Overheat Protection, then if you drive the car or sit in it with the setting turned on and you leave the vehicle, it will keep your vehicle at a max of 104-105F for a period of 12 hours or until the battery reaches 20% in which case it will shut off cabin overheat protection. No need for these climate features to work while plugged in.

Last edited:
to anyone who felt some disappointment with last night's event (fwiw, I felt some at first myself)

Entry Level Model S

2013 .................................................... Today

Price*...........................................$69,500 ................................................ $69,500

EPA Range ..................................218 miles ..............................................249 miles
0-60 mph* ...................................5.5 seconds ..........................................4.3 seconds
Smart Air Suspension ............... option ($thousands) ............................ Included

Power Liftgate .............................option package items ......................... Included
Ambient Interior Lighting ........... part of a total package**
Nav w/real time traffic ............... cost ~$4.5K
HomeLink

Center Console ............................option ~$1K ........................................ Included

Active Safety Tech
-Collision Avoidance ........................all............................................................all
-Auto. Emergency Braking ..........unavailable........................................... Included
-other a.s.t.

Side Mirrors
-Power folding .................................all ..........................................................all
-auto dimming ........................... unavailable ........................................... Included
-heated

LED turning lights ..................... available (?) ......................................... Included

LED Fog Lights ......................... option.................................................... Included

Here's my point, limits to my TMC chart-making skills notwithstanding,

I was hoping for more range on the base model myself, but, I don't see Tesla's strategy as trying to game the public by offering as little as possible for as much as possible. Consider all the value added to the entry Model S over the past 4 years was without ANY competing long range EVs reaching the market in the Model S' class to date. That is, Tesla enhanced value by adding many many features, battery size, and improving performance for the same price, not because the market place required them to, but because with the passage of time, Tesla was able to add more capability to the Model S for less cost.

Similarly, in time, with the GF and Fremont reaching volume production (which means markedly lower costs for Tesla to produce the Model 3), it is all but certain that Tesla will offer more value because they will be able to. Producing an affordable EV that is compelling to as much of the market as possible is an ongoing process, and the tax incentives are there to help accelerate the process (yes, I realize not everyone qualifies for them, they are not perfect).

As I said, I was hoping myself for something like 240 miles of range for $35K, so I "feel that pain" some myself. If these specs are a deal breaker for anyone, that's their own call. Maybe you buy another car, or maybe you wait to see what kind of value Tesla will offer you in a couple of years. That said, I strongly sense that this is simply about the path to producing compelling mass market EVs being challenging, rather than Tesla trying to offer as little as possible for as much as possible.

* a few of these numbers on the 2013 Model S 60 are based off memory and may be slightly off.

** I'm not sure if all the parts of the original total package are now all included in the base vehicle.

Last edited: