Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been confirmed by MPP that the non-Ludicrous highand has the same suspension locations as the legacy cars and can use existing suspension mods. The chance Ludicrous has a different suspension than the base cars is basically zero, Tesla has never done that nor do other performance brands like M or AMG except in extreme cases.

But since you have comforts, there is also a good chance the new adjustable/reactive suspension on the Ludicrous is as good or better than the MPP's.

This seems like an independent issue however- you will not get more money for an M3P on Coliovers than stock suspension, and it may even be a negative to many buyers. You should always take mods off and sell them individually when selling a car if you care about the financial aspect.

Thanks for chiming in. Fortunately, cost is not a concern for me, nor is resale value on my existing M3P. So, will probably just leave the MPP coilovers on the existing vehicle when I get rid of it.

I like tinkering with things, so that is why I had mentioned possibly removing the coilovers and putting them on the new M3 Ludicrous, if they do indeed fit.

I seem to recall a popular/repeated rumor that Tesla sent several of their engineers over to Shanghai to solve a suspension problem that appeared on the M3 Ludicrous test vehicles. So, this made me think/wonder if Tesla ultimately changed the suspension on M3 Ludicrous variant to address/fix that problem. Who knows if those reported rumors were true.

Regardless, my interest in putting aftermarket coilovers on the new M3 Ludicrous is strictly to lower the vehicle (to reduce the wheel gaps). Yes, I could simply put different springs to get the desired lowered look. However, I think we all know that slapping only springs on a vehicle without also pairing it with a well thought-out set of dampers is generally not a good idea… hence the coilover route.

I’ll just have to evaluate the available aftermarket suspension options after I get/drive the new M3 Ludicrous…

Reactions: phantasms
It's been confirmed by MPP that the non-Ludicrous highand has the same suspension locations as the legacy cars and can use existing suspension mods. The chance Ludicrous has a different suspension than the base cars is basically zero, Tesla has never done that nor do other performance brands like M or AMG except in extreme cases.
The Ludicrous Model 3 will have active, electronically adjustable dampers.

He got blasted for saying the Highland Model 3 RWD and LR had new motors and batteries. However, he deletes all of those comments and tries to hide the fact that he is wrong.
Yep, him, and to a lesser extent Ryan Shaw, don't seem to care about correcting themselves when they're clearly off the mark. That and not using timestamps for their schizophrenic topic changing within videos discourages me from clicking.

Reactions: Adam3 and phantasms
The Ludicrous Model 3 will have active, electronically adjustable dampers.
Yep, I said that in the very next line after the one you quoted:
But since you have comforts, there is also a good chance the new adjustable/reactive suspension on the Ludicrous is as good or better than the MPP's.

But all an active damper needs is a wire coming out of the top, which even the legacy cars have space for. This does not mean a whole new suspension architecture. Lots of cars out there have active/adjustable damper options and it's just the shock that is different, and it's also very common to remove EDC and replace it with a pure mechanical shock in performance applications.

Reactions: tm1v2 and Sellout
Yep, I said that in the very next line after the one you quoted:

But all an active damper needs is a wire coming out of the top, which even the legacy cars have space for. This does not mean a whole new suspension architecture. Lots of cars out there have active/adjustable damper options and it's just the shock that is different, and it's also very common to remove EDC and replace it with a pure mechanical shock in performance applications.
Ah yes, if only I read more carefully. Will it be complex or cause issues with vehicle software to remove active dampers?

Modders better pray they don't have some kind of PID feedback loop to the controller......
I cant imagine wasting processing power on something like that vs just setting a static map based on whatever parameters the designers chose. Especially with a damper, feedback loop would need to be something related to position which would be more sensors driving price.

If anything, it would be a CAN signal that needs to be mimicked.

I cant imagine wasting processing power on something like that vs just setting a static map based on whatever parameters the designers chose. Especially with a damper, feedback loop would need to be something related to position which would be more sensors driving price.

If anything, it would be a CAN signal that needs to be mimicked.

Agreed on the CAN signal.....but Tesla....do some odd stuff!

This guy claims a May release date:

Yesterday he posted several of the new photos from the Malibu showroom:

I am hoping he meant shipping starts in May...
China shipping in April and USA shipping in May (likely because Fremont can't ramp up as quickly as Shanghai) has been the whisper info for awhile now. Judging by the picture of the wrapped cars in South Korea and the press event this past Monday, it sure looks like info release tomorrow or Friday with China shipping shortly after.