Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You also said people need to put up with a stiff ride and not want efficiency in a performance car otherwise they should buy a Leaf.

The reality is they can if they want offer a fast, comfortable and efficient car. They can make it more stiff for those that want that and more comfortable for people that want more comfort. They can change the power outputs and the throttle mapping if people want. Basically they can give a choice so it's the car suitable for all types and situations. The technology for this exists, it's only if it makes the car too expensive that they won't do it.

Not all tarmac is created equal, sports mode is likely fine if you have smooth roads but on some cars with a stiff suspension you'll rattle your teeth out in a lot of places in the UK. Same reason some might want smaller rims because they need more sidewall to avoid pothole damage.
Hopefully, they offer a smaller wheel package for those that want more sidewall. Honestly, having 20 inch wheels is more form over function as the 18s feel great with the same tires (and way more pot hole resistant).

All this car now needs is a front bumper camera to be perfect :D

Do the European Model 3 Performance cars hit close to 630A/211KW for the front motors?
Just above 200kW is the max I've seen, but whenever the rear loses traction there is the chance that excess battery power is shifted to the front and then the 211kW can be maxed out. Combined power with good traction at the rear makes it basically impossible to get to the 211kW at the front.
There appears to be a lot of headroom for the front motor with the Panasonic battery. I wonder if the new rear motor will allow greater current for the front motor especially if current for the rear motor hits peak current at a higher speed?
This actually means that even less power will go to the front as in the current config the rear motor peaks first at 70kph and then the front motor peaks at 90kph. With the new motor peaking later at aroung 112kph the rear motor will eat up more of the battery power with increasing speed, which will leave even less for the front.
What a lot of people are missing is that just because they only changed to a new motor in the rear doesn't mean that they haven't changed how the front motor operates.
Technically yes, but without available battery power and the fact that the Korean docs stated 158kW at given RPM, meaning it is still the 3D3A and not some altered 3D3B version...little chance I guess.
The Ludicrous Model 3 could get EXTREMELY quick if they can put another ~50 amps in the front motor and perhaps another 100-150 amps in the rear motor but not at the same time.
As mentioned above. Since the rear now peaks after the front and not before and the fact that the rear can now take up even more power/current. The front becomes less important, which is a good thing since we know the front is the weaker link.
I assume the total battery current limit will stay the same?
At least for Europe (LG) I am struggling to see extra reserves in that pack, since it has such a big voltage drop under load that it gets close to the 260V lower limit pretty fast. The Panasonic does look like it can squeeze out a little extra, but this would mean that Tesla purposefully increases the power difference between US and EU/MIC spec cars even more. That is something I doubt.
Is the rear motor voltage different than the front motor voltage?
Yes. Performance Motors with 840A/950A have a lower operating voltage of 320V.

Just above 200kW is the max I've seen, but whenever the rear loses traction there is the chance that excess battery power is shifted to the front and then the 211kW can be maxed out. Combined power with good traction at the rear makes it basically impossible to get to the 211kW at the front.

This actually means that even less power will go to the front as in the current config the rear motor peaks first at 70kph and then the front motor peaks at 90kph. With the new motor peaking later at aroung 112kph the rear motor will eat up more of the battery power with increasing speed, which will leave even less for the front.

Technically yes, but without available battery power and the fact that the Korean docs stated 158kW at given RPM, meaning it is still the 3D3A and not some altered 3D3B version...little chance I guess.

As mentioned above. Since the rear now peaks after the front and not before and the fact that the rear can now take up even more power/current. The front becomes less important, which is a good thing since we know the front is the weaker link.

At least for Europe (LG) I am struggling to see extra reserves in that pack, since it has such a big voltage drop under load that it gets close to the 260V lower limit pretty fast. The Panasonic does look like it can squeeze out a little extra, but this would mean that Tesla purposefully increases the power difference between US and EU/MIC spec cars even more. That is something I doubt.

Do you think Tesla left much efficiency on the table with cables, bus bars, inverter etc? As in could they gain some free power at the wheels by lowering resistive losses?

Do you think Tesla left much efficiency on the table with cables, bus bars, inverter etc? As in could they gain some free power at the wheels by lowering resistive losses?
Surely there is room for efficiency, not only with 48V in the LV System, but also in the HV System. I just dont think this will be a such meaningful change that we see a difference in power to the road. When we compare the Battery Power (calculated) sensor and the combined Inverter Power (calculated) sensors these numbers are pretty close together. Then, when you accelerate, you dont notice the difference between 420kW on the first run and 415kW on the second. Though gaining 5kW in efficiency under load, would be a great improvement.

Only the "Insanse" mode puzzles me, as I just dont know what this mode is supposed to improve over sport. The only logical explanation to me is a reduction of sport mode to a power that can levelled at 300kW or 320kW with variable current to adapt for variable voltage, like in Chill Mode, which is always 160kW, no matter the SOC or Temp. Again...just guessing ATM.

Ludicrous car with added Insane mode, but without Ludicrous mode sounds improbable. So i expect that to come as purchasable option.

2024 model that has Insane and Ludicrous mode above Sport and Chill can't be really providing same power in Ludicrous mode as Sport in 2023 model.

I believe that those modes are torque limiters at low speed. With extended torque at low speed, there is no reason why 0-60 can't be low 2.5 with Insane and 2.2 with Ludicrous. I didnt do the math, but there should be enough power for that.

Top speed power I expect to see significantly improved by better rear motor that doesnt drop more than 50% of power at the speed limit as it is now.

And still a lot can be done with improved cooling, which wasnt great from the beginning.

Seats which can't be used with a racing harness is a stupid move. Old seats were usable for that.

Last edited:

That is a very informative post. Thank you for that. Will the new rear motor maintain constant torque to 112 kph or just constant HP from the previous peak? That would be a huge amount of power from that rear motor if it maintained constant torque.

What RPM is the motor doing at 112 kph? Motor RPM is the one value I can’t find in the Canbus data. I wish it gave motor rpm for the front and rear. I know it can be calculated but there are differences in tire diameter that can affect the accuracy. It would be nice if they just gave us that precise value in the data.

What RPM is the motor doing at 112 kph? Motor RPM is the one value I can’t find in the Canbus data. I wish it gave motor rpm for the front and rear. I know it can be calculated but there are differences in tire diameter that can affect the accuracy. It would be nice if they just gave us that precise value in the data.
The new 4D2's maximum power is at 8000rpm according to that Korean registration docs. I use 0.014 to convert RPM into Speed. When you compare this with the SMT peaks of different motors the results are pretty close. You need to take into account that peak power speed shifts with battery power. The more power the higher the speed at reaching peak power. This is also mainly due to the 3D3A front motors power characteristics.

Surely there is room for efficiency, not only with 48V in the LV System, but also in the HV System. I just dont think this will be a such meaningful change that we see a difference in power to the road. When we compare the Battery Power (calculated) sensor and the combined Inverter Power (calculated) sensors these numbers are pretty close together. Then, when you accelerate, you dont notice the difference between 420kW on the first run and 415kW on the second. Though gaining 5kW in efficiency under load, would be a great improvement.

Only the "Insanse" mode puzzles me, as I just dont know what this mode is supposed to improve over sport. The only logical explanation to me is a reduction of sport mode to a power that can levelled at 300kW or 320kW with variable current to adapt for variable voltage, like in Chill Mode, which is always 160kW, no matter the SOC or Temp. Again...just guessing ATM.
I think that makes sense. Sport won't be the same performance as an old Performance Model 3, it'll be probably more like Long Range Model 3 speeds, of a little over 4 seconds to 60mph I think.

I was expecting not Insane but Ludicrous as the option considering it's potentially called the Model 3 Ludicrous. I feel though 2 possible reasons for having it as Insane:

1. It's an admission that the jump in performance from the last car isn't enough that they don't feel it warrants being called Ludicrous. That does kind of give issue with the naming though if they call it the Model 3 Ludicrous.
2. It's just called Insane for now while they test it but final firmware will change the name to Ludicrous in the options.

I do think though they'll have a new battery in the not too distant future that will be able to unlock more power here.

I am still puzzled about your 448kW screenshots as you are really the only source were I've seen these high numbers. Every other car I know caps at 435kW, although the BMS max discharge states 462kW as the absolute max.
I went back and looked through every one of my logs and I actually found 6 separate instances of 440+ KW combined real-time power readings. They ranged from 440 KW to 448 KW. However, they were all in 2022. All of them used a Level 2 charger to get to 100% and preconditioning to heat the battery. Is it possible that Supercharging gets it too hot for truly optimal performance?

It is also possible that the app I was reading the data from was wrong back then and now they have fixed it because I only get ~435 KW or less now.

• Love
Reactions: Lindenwood
Grain of sand Info
IMG_1028.png

• Funny
Reactions: superflyrolla
We already know, direct from Elon, there's nothing that'll be called the Model 2. And 3/Y are already near 95% of annual sales. So yeah, Reps just make stuff up or repeat rumors.

Reactions: phantasms
Very bullish prediction but you know, the math matters.

0-60 is a torque limit of inverter. Not a battery, power or thermal limit.

What math tells you that torque limiter can't be expanded?

You realize that 0-60 Model 3 is almost completely tire limited and torque was artificially limited to not compete with Model S? Motors can take slightly higher torque in that range.

I honestly don't even know why 0-60 is still a thing. It's a dumb spec that shows tire compound and quality of tire slip control, which certainly better on EV.

Same dumb as a test of braking distance that only measures tire compound and ABS program quality.

But anyway, yeah, since you care - that's what they can easily do introducing Insane and Ludicrous. Just space it out evenly. Sport 3.0, Insane 2.7, Ludicrous 2.5, Ludicrous+ 2.3, Plaid 2.0. Or something like that.

We wont get above Ludicrous and even that one would come months later, I think as a purchase, because marketing.

Last edited: