Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe they’re waiting for the share price to hit $100 lol. This whole launch has been handled atrociously. They are now faced with a free falling share price and a CyberTruck recall. If this car is overpriced and fails to deliver I wouldn’t go anywhere near it. I might pick up a slightly used EQE53 AMG in about 6 months when they drop by another 30%.

Maybe they’re waiting for the share price to hit $100 lol. This whole launch has been handled atrociously. They are now faced with a free falling share price and a CyberTruck recall. If this car is overpriced and fails to deliver I wouldn’t go anywhere near it. I might pick up a slightly used EQE53 AMG in about 6 months when they drop by another 30%.

I dont get this unless its supposed to be a hot take or something. This is not the launch of the model Y as a vehicle. This is the launch of a fairly niche performance version of a refreshed vehicle.

Its a much worse thing that there are delays on the regular model 3 with white seats than somehow "this launch is handled atrociously" because the data is not coming out exactly when enthusiasts want it (while almost no one else cares).

Are there others that are likely to cross shop used or new BMW i4 M50 or Audi e-tron GT and the Model 3 L?

I’m thinking if I’d emphasize Teslas performance or go for a premium/traditional feel of the BMW/Audi. Although Higland overall feels like a big improvement fit and finish wise which is a huge improvement in my book. Still concerned about Tesla Vision, lack of stalks and especially if there will be as much variance in the quality as there was when I test drove my current Model 3.

Are there others that are likely to cross shop used or new BMW i4 M50 or Audi e-tron GT and the Model 3 L?

I’m thinking if I’d emphasize Teslas performance or go for a premium/traditional feel of the BMW/Audi. Although Higland overall feels like a big improvement fit and finish wise which is a huge improvement in my book. Still concerned about Tesla Vision, lack of stalks and especially if there will be as much variance in the quality as there was when I test drove my current Model 3.
To be honest, I am here mostly out of curiosity.
With how strongly all EVs tend to depreciate, and since I do buy my cars outright, I would only consider a used EV in the future.
I can’t seem to get rid of my 2021 M3P with 43k miles for half of the list price and was offered a fifth of list price for my 2020 M3P with 94k miles.
I am therefore “cross shopping”, a newly presented car is not an option for me any longer.

The only thing I am cross-shopping with is a M3LR and Model Y. I have a M3 RWD now, and love it to death, but I am interesting in a bunch of the highland upgrades, as well as an increase in performance. So I am eager to compare the final '24 M3L (or whatever it will be referred to) compared to the 24 M3LR compared to the current Model Y (which have some pretty good pricing still at the moment).

The lack of stalks does not bother me at all, I am much more concerned about the price. The model Y getting the tax incentive at the moment is very enticing for me but I am also considering the Y refresh due next year (most likely).

Gotta admit, seeing 2021 Used Plaids for $70k is awfully interesting as well, I just have this terrible fear of buying something used with 20k miles on it already.

Not to really state the obvious, but it will be priced what people will pay for it. If it’s too high, and cars are not sold it will come down. Tesla has been fortunate to have products that people are willing to pay for the features / performance out of the gate. At some point, that will no longer be the case. My suspicion is that with the M3L - they will easily sell if it’s in the $60’s - it will be more of niche market. Spent more than that for my less capable and unknown at the time ‘18 M3P like many others here. The other comparisons available are just too different (including the model S - just cannot go back to being Captain of the boat, if even if it takes off like a Scarab).