Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a 0-110mph run I recently logged at 81% SOC and ~25C battery temp with no charging or conditioning.
The flat 420kW peak is from 42-58mph (not 69?) and regen is pretty stable around 134kW. Note that the BMS max allowable regen starts at 120kW and creeps up to 134kW during the run, perhaps due to cell heating.
But @gearchruncher is right that 65kW regen is pretty common for a well charged cold battery not in track mode, though 85kW is the official limit per CANbus messaging when no dots are displayed, and I routinely see it reach that. Hence the point I made about the brakes feeling inconsistent during extreme driving.

1694407164611.png

Last edited:
This is a 0-110mph run I recently logged at 81% SOC and ~25C battery temp with no charging or conditioning.
The flat 420kW peak is from 42-58mph (not 69?) and regen is pretty stable around 134kW. Note that the BMS max allowable regen starts at 120kW and creeps up to 134kW during the run, perhaps due to cell heating.
But @gearchruncher is right that 65kW regen is pretty common for a well charged cold battery not in track mode, though 85kW is the official limit per CANbus messaging when no dots are displayed, and I routinely see it reach that. Hence the point I made about the brakes feeling inconsistent during extreme driving.

View attachment 972851
Cool how it is way higher than Supercharging would be in those same conditions. Lithium plating anyone? I guess they either don’t worry about lithium plating, chalking it up to warranty expense paid for by Performance premium, or the duration matters (I am fairly sure it does due to the behavior of regen - where it gets more limited the more sustained it is). Probably matters less if there is more slosh like there would be on the track. No idea though.

Yeah, it's definitely duration-dependent. You'll see this anytime you go down a long hill with a marginally hungry battery, the dots just keep growing as you go. It used to be very unnerving before the blended brake option was added because the car would keep needing more and more brake pressure as if the brakes were failing.

And here's the trailing end of that data where the regen limit declines back down to 117kW within about 10 seconds:

1694411305202.png

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Apologies for the tangent, but this is somewhat related to improvements that could potentially be made to the Highland (or OG) performance model with regards to braking consistency.

My battery was low today so I decided to lift off the Gauss and scored a new PB of 172kW regen (that's 230HP of deceleration!):

1694498378950.png

Then Crunchy's questions about 65kW max got me digging thru last month's logs and I found something interesting. This log looks pretty standard, notice the rear motor doing all of the braking before the run, then both motors sharing the 66kW regen at the end, just like you'd expect:

1694498636419.png

But 2 days later, notice the front motor doing all of the braking before the run and the rear motor supplying the entire regen at the end, briefly hitting 85kW this time:

1694498753528.png

The steering angle was around 4 degrees for the case where the rear motor hit 85kW all by itself, and 9 degrees in the case where the motors did a 25kW/35kW share. I don't know if there were other factors such as software updates.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: gearchruncher
you do all know that every decal is avail in China right? They are the mecca of auto decal manuf lol. Anyone can slap a plaid badge on a new 3 and take some pics. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Tesla does not refer to ‘model anything’ on any of their line up’s…not for some time now. Its T or now T E S L A and a dual motor or nothing or Plaid (SX)

Just saying :)

I always just assumed this was the rectifier getting too hot as even a very brief period of respite and the dots go away.

This is not likely the limitation that causes this particular commonly observed behavior.

The motors are driven from a DC pack (via switching FETs in the inverter to provide the three-phase drive) so when operating in reverse through the inverter, I would think the conversion losses should be similar. (And should be very small by design!)

Also at low SOC, this decreasing regen does not occur (or at least it is not visible (maybe it is in track mode still), since the pack is so ready to accept charge without lithium plating concern). If it were inverter/heat limited, the SOC would not matter much at all (pack voltage would be only difference).

• Informative
Reactions: SigNC
OK, so this is an interesting theory about performance / non-performance brakes that ties into my regen plots above.

Hitachi is developing electric brake calipers intended to deliver vastly smoother/faster/better computer-initiated braking response. One obvious motivation for this would be to provide *nicely* blended brakes which could provide a comfortable 65kW regen for one-pedal driving that seamlessly increases to 172kW or more when the brake pedal is pressed and then seamlessly adds in friction only when needed.

Reactions: phantasms
I'm not aware of any car on the market with nicely blended brakes. Both Hitachi and Brembo even list well blended brakes as one of the core functionalities made possible by electric calipers. And what can a Prius even do anyway? Maybe 12kW? A driver can't tell the difference between squishy or smushy when lightly touching the pedal in a parking lot. But crank the regen up to 200kW and drivers are sure as heck gonna be sensitive to transition feel under medium/hard braking.

Also, there's little indication that fast charging is a significant factor in battery degradation, so a couple seconds of 172kW regen once a week is surely negligible.

I haven't seen a good description of Hitachi's system, but Brembo's looks like it uses a souped up parking brake motor on the rear calipers and a pair of ABS pumps to drive conventional hydraulic front calipers. The primary function and feedback are electric, but a conventional master cylinder will actuate the front calipers in the event of electrical failure.

Brembo 100% has full electric calipers, and they literally developed it on a Model 3.

The real question is why telsa doesn't allow 200kW regen in track mode? All the hardware is there. It would make a huge difference to track endurance and performance.