Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm. Is this for the 20” bois? I don’t believe I’ve hit this 111 limit in my closed course Mexico runs. Ours shipped with 22s.

Edit: 115mph per internet. Tires rated to 130.

There's a speed buffer, it says 115 on the speedo, but it's not. And yes the limit is set based off the 20" wheels, but you don't get a raised limit with the 21s or 22s. They all have the same limit

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
There's a speed buffer, it says 115 on the speedo, but it's not. And yes the limit is set based off the 20" wheels, but you don't get a raised limit with the 21s or 22s. They all have the same limit
Interesting. The internet says their oe tires are rated to 130. But seeing that one of the more common accidents for these things seems to be them attempting to squish anything with the nose, I don’t blame that 13yr old company

• Funny
Reactions: momo3605
I know Tesla usually addresses safety only when they are forced to by NHTSA or regulatory bodies, but I really do think it's the case here.
Ironically, they fight NHTSA even when they are out of compliance with an actual, published regulation.
Yet NHTSA has never once suggested that non-contextual speed limits are useful for safety. So this is where Tesla decides to do something voluntarily and argue they are forward looking on safety?

The same Tesla that basically has a curve of price vs top speed, puts top speed as a parimary number for their cars, and advertises a car with a 200 MPH top speed despite it having signifigant caveats?

How do you square the idea that they are doing this for safety against the fact that they have spent the last 13 years advertising speed and still do?

Yet if you look at it from the engineering standpoint of something only being rated to a specific speed (tires, motor RPM, aerodynamic lift, etc), then it's a lot more logical and likely than some sort of fuzzy "because it's safer" argument.
I like how you intentionally left out the one physical thing that changed the most(The Suspension). Gearing and motors didn’t change at all. They are identical to previous versions.

How do you square the idea that they are doing this for safety against the fact that they have spent the last 13 years advertising speed and still do?

I touched on this in my post. Because the clients of Model 3s have changed. They don't care about the performance anymore. They're not competing with M340s or C43s anymore.

With the release of so many $40k+ slow as *sugar* EVs from Kia/Toyota/Ford/GM, they don't need to advertise speed anymore. Especially in the non-performance sub $45k market. It's a win-win. It shields Tesla a bit, and it doesn't hurt sales.
I like how you intentionally left out the one physical thing that changed the most(The Suspension).

I don't believe the reduced speed is because of the suspension. Think about it, that's a real kick in the nuts, that you're advertising a new and improved suspension...but oh wait it's not stable at high speeds anymore.

Last edited:
I like how you intentionally left out the one physical thing that changed the most(The Suspension). Gearing and motors didn’t change at all. They are identical to previous versions.
In all fairness it is probably just that they found an obscure scenario where if you hit a certain bump with the new Aero and new suspension you run the risk of getting just enough lift to make the front end unbalanced especially if you try to turn after that or something along those lines.

They probably looked at the solution to resolve that issue for speeds over 125 mph and it just didn’t make sense from a cost perspective especially since their data shows so few people in the RWD and LR ever exceed 125 mph.

I don't believe the reduced speed is because of the suspension. Think about that, that's a real kick in the nuts, that you're advertising a new and improved suspension...but oh wait it's not stable at high speeds anymore.
Precisely why they blamed it on the tires. I totally could see the engineers describing an obscure scenario where the car could become unstable at speeds over 125 mph to Musk.

Then Musk just says “limit it to 125 mph and say it is the tires. They will believe that and blame it on government mandates”.

They know that everyone will accept that it is tires without even checking whether that is true or not.

It isn’t the tires.

I touched on this in my post. Because the clients of Model 3s have changed. They don't care about the performance anymore.

With the release of so many $40k+ slow as *sugar* EVs from Kia/Toyota/Ford/GM, they don't need to advertise speed anymore. Especially in the non-performance sub $45k market. It's a win-win. It shields Tesla a bit, and it doesn't hurt sales.
This is the Model 3 page for the cheapest car they sell right now. Why is top speed the second thing listed and 0-60 the third if "they don't care about performance?" Tesla is still very much marketing performance and these numbers as the differentiator as to why to buy a more expensive car.
1705101156723.png

Reactions: P-Lo801
I like how you intentionally left out the one physical thing that changed the most
I did not leave out the thing that changed the most. What changed the most is AERO.
They got 8% less drag out of this new shape. Low drag shapes often have issues with lift at high speeds.

Does anyone remember the first Audi TT and how it would pick up at high speed and killed 5 people and Audi had to retrofit spoilers?
The internet does: No Car Tells The Story of Design vs. Performance Like The Audi TT

In all fairness it is probably just that they found an obscure scenario where if you hit a certain bump with the new Aero and new suspension you run the risk of getting just enough lift to make the front end unbalanced especially if you try to turn after that or something along those lines.
Oh yeah, there you go, as you say, it's aero. No suspension in the world can save you from aero issues, nor do they cause aero issues, because no suspension in the real world on real roads can guarentee airflow over the car.

Was this an Aero issue or a suspension one?
SzkBNv.gif

The arms/suspension design changed? Or are we trying to equate struts&springs to vmax?
Supposedly the geometry changed. They also changed a bunch of bushings from what I understand, probably to softer ones.
I don't believe the reduced speed is because of the suspension. Think about it, that's a real kick in the nuts, that you're advertising a new and improved suspension...but oh wait it's not stable at high speeds anymore.
I don’t know if suspension is the issue, but that often is the tradeoff when going with more compliant suspension - less performance.

Very well could be aero. I’d be curious to see impressions of how this one feels at 125 vs the original model 3.

I’d be curious to see impressions of how this one feels at 125 vs the original model 3.
I like that half the people are saying nobody drives an LR anywhere near 125 MPH, and then others think we're about to get some "impressions" of what it's like to drive the car hard against the limiter for long enough to have an opinion on why 130 would be a problem..

Reactions: buckets0fun
I like that half the people are saying nobody drives an LR anywhere near 125 MPH, and then others think we're about to get some "impressions" of what it's like to drive the car hard against the limiter for long enough to have an opinion on why 130 would be a problem..
Exactly! No one will drive fast enough to give you these impressions lol. Let me know when you get them.

Also Can anyone explain why the model S LR speed was reduced to 130? That is literally the exact same car, same suspension, everything.

Reactions: Ethan Ryczek