Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 does more than 429 Kw from the battery. I have seen as much as 448 Kw with a fully optimized battery.

I can make the car at 16% SOC perform like the same car at 89% SOC just by changing the battery temperature.

Here are two max discharge values at different temperatures and SOC. 365 KW is ~490 HP.

You need to go out again and look for the actual delivered battery power.
A max discharge is a theoretical value.

The BMS might allow for 460kW for the sake of the battery, but the car limits the power to 428-430kW from the battery.

At all other values but the upper power limit, the output voltage from the battery will be too low to make the motor deliver the rated power.

Do the homework again and come back with confirmed numbers of actual battery power delivered ;)

• Funny
Reactions: mpgxsvcd

Sport Auto Drove the Ioniq 5N and did 7min45 on the full lap with P-Zero Corsa. Would have been in the 7min 30's with extreme tires (CUP2R for example)

Absolutely no performance degradation during the lap, power stayed consistent the whole time. (Plaid in limp mode after 3.5min, same for a current 3P). Car is also able to do 0.6G in regen alone, so brakes are holding great (not like Tesla on stock setups...)

This powertrain on another platform (sedan/sport car) would be pretty insane.

I'm certain a 600HP Model 3 would do significantly better if it was able to maintain power during the entire lap, since it is a lot lighter. Issue is that Tesla is far from the competition as far as cooling, so not likely to happen with the highland IMO. I will not start again 400V vs 800v, but I have my strong opinion on that matter for performance EVs.

I hope Tesla will step up this time, pretty sure acceleration will be great, pretty sure cooling will be bad again and we end up again with a half lap setup...
I always forget about the engine noises and “gear changes” it’s so weird to me

The BMS might allow for 460kW for the sake of the battery, but the car limits the power to 428-430kW from the battery.

At all other values but the upper power limit, the output voltage from the battery will be too low to make the motor deliver the rated power.

Do the homework again and come back with confirmed numbers of actual battery power delivered ;)
448 kw was not a max discharge value. That was a realtime value recorded during a 1/4 mile pass.

Maximum “Max Discharge Value “ is 462 KW. It certainly will never get to that value in realtime but it will definitely exceed your 429 Kw value.

IMG_1247.png

correct people when they claim the reason for the carbon overwrap is to allow higher RPM.
Thought experiment, if the carbon overwrap is stationary then how would it make a difference mechanically only at high RPMs? i If they changed rotor mechanics and materials than I would imagine a mechanical.

Agree that the most likely mechanism is that the carbon mechanical piece is not electrically conductive and therefore currents, and subsequent to that, counteracting magnetic fields cannot be induced in it. That back force scales with RPM because that means faster change in magnetic field flux and thus more current induced thanks to Faraday's electromagnetic law.

BTW Elon seems to understand only mechanical engineering (sort of), he's way out of depth on machine learning for sure and likely electrical and chemical engineering. So he might have made some immediate bro-science assumption about the reason for the carbon and he fires people who tells him he is wrong so they all shut up.

Pictures of the early M3P sightings in Fremont also show the Ludicrous badge. All but confirms it will be in the prior Ludicrous performance range. I’m expecting high 2.x 0-60 and high 10.x 1/4 mile performance numbers. Maybe we’ll see an un nerfing of the Model S long range to match?

I assume you want to see the RAW data before you will believe it. This a run from 2022 with 99% SOC and a fully preconditioned battery. You can see the real time recorded HP was 448 KW. Peak rear motor power is at 45 mph and peak front motor power is at 57 mph. However, peak total power happens at 55-56 mph every time.

Dyno.jpg

Pictures of the early M3P sightings in Fremont also show the Ludicrous badge. All but confirms it will be in the prior Ludicrous performance range. I’m expecting high 2.x 0-60 and high 10.x 1/4 mile performance numbers. Maybe we’ll see an un nerfing of the Model S long range to match?
Any link to the post? The model s LR already is a med to high 10s car. If they bump the 0-60 it would push it to the med to low 10s which would be sweet but unlikely. It would negate the entire point of them nerfing the top speed to 130. That’s already basically the trap speed at the 1/4mi if they add more you wouldn’t theoretically be going any faster because you’d hit 130 before crossing the line

To get this thread closer to on topic my prediction is that we will all be pleasantly surprised when the next gen Model 3 Performance is finally announced.

My prediction is that they will improve it in every way. It will be a lot more expensive than the cars in inventory now but I don’t think it will exceed the price I paid in 2021 for my 2022 Model 3 Performance(~$60k).

I think it will have a revised battery and new motors along with an entirely different suspension setup and new brakes. It will have new wheels and tires too.

I predict that the battery will have slightly more capacity. For instance 85-90 kWh and the car won’t focus as much on efficiency because of the increased capacity. It will weigh a little bit more though but no where near what the Ioniq 5N weighs(over 4,800 lbs).
That’s a lot of predictions!
Ok oddly I went to my SC to pick up my car today and had a conversation with a sales associate about the S plaid demo car to try.

He actually tells me ‘if you still like the 3 handling, best to wait for the 3 plaid. Ya..I stopped for a moment and I did a double tske …uh did you say plaid 3?

He confirmed and said it’s in development as we speak. I responded with ‘oh come on bud, the most we can expect is some improvements to power and maybe some handling no?’ Then he says ‘you forum guys are all the same bud lol. It’s in development and when it is announced it’s going to blow your mind so if you want to hold on the S plaid and stick to 3 platform, I’d wait’ he then says ‘tesla is all about streamlining offerings across all models. There will be a plaid for each of the model line up and yes before you ask it will be more expensive than the outgoing 3P. ‘So eventuslly yes a Y plaid as well and the ‘performance’ designation will be eliminated. Even with CT as you know.

I’m…floored! I don’t know what to think as sales guys at tesla are often FOShyte.
But wholly crap!!

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
That’s a lot of predictions!
Ok oddly I went to my SC to pick up my car today and had a conversation with a sales associate about the S plaid demo car to try.

He actually tells me ‘if you still like the 3 handling, best to wait for the 3 plaid. Ya..I stopped for a moment and I did a double tske …uh did you say plaid 3?

He confirmed and said it’s in development as we speak. I responded with ‘oh come on bud, the most we can expect is some improvements to power and maybe some handling no?’ Then he says ‘you forum guys are all the same bud lol. It’s in development and when it is announced it’s going to blow your mind so if you want to hold on the S plaid and stick to 3 platform, I’d wait’ he als then says ‘tesla is all about streamlining offerings across all models. There will be a plaid for each of the model line up and yes before you ask it will be more expensive than the outgoing 3P. ‘

I’m…floored! I don’t know what to think as sales guys at tesla are often FOShyte.
This happens all the time but the truth is the sales people know even less than us forum people

Any link to the post? The model s LR already is a med to high 10s car. If they bump the 0-60 it would push it to the med to low 10s which would be sweet but unlikely. It would negate the entire point of them nerfing the top speed to 130. That’s already basically the trap speed at the 1/4mi if they add more you wouldn’t theoretically be going any faster because you’d hit 130 before crossing the line
To be clear, not saying the 1/4 mile is nerfed on the Model S, but the 0-60 times. Based on trap speeds it should be able to hit high 2.x 0-60

This happens all the time but the truth is the sales people know even less than us forum people
Yes i know. But he was so sure of himself it was fascinating. He also said ‘are you guys privy to internal info or are we? And he capped it with. ‘Hey whatever you wish to believe bud but it does me no good to talk you out of an S plaid. Patience buddy and you’ll see.’

I’ve never heard any tesla sales person speak like this. He was middle age and mature not a millennial roolkie 🤷🏽‍♂️

I’ll believe it when I see it ! But was nice to hear.

Yes i know. But he was so sure of himself it was fascinating. He also said ‘are you guys privy to internal info or are we? And he capped it with. ‘Hey whatever you wish to believe bud but it does me no good to talk you out of an S plaid. Patience buddy and you’ll see.’

I’ve never heard any tesla sales person speak like this. He was middle age and mature not a millennial roolkie 🤷🏽‍♂️

I do believe that the next Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous/Plaid will be a true step up in performance. However, it won’t be a “Plaid” in the sense of tri-motors. It will still be dual motors.

Dual motors can still provide pretty ridiculous performance in a 4,100 lb car. It will be more expensive than the current Model 3 Performance for sure but I don’t think it will exceed Hyundai Ioniq 5N pricing.

Honestly, I can’t wait for it. I think the seats look great and I do prefer the Highland exterior changes. My belief is that it is going to offer E-Ray performance for half the price.

Reactions: Adam3

millenials are in their 40s now

To be clear, not saying the 1/4 mile is nerfed on the Model S, but the 0-60 times. Based on trap speeds it should be able to hit high 2.x 0-60
No I understand that
I do believe that the next Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous/Plaid will be a true step up in performance. However, it won’t be a “Plaid” in the sense of tri-motors. It will still be dual motors.

Dual motors can still provide pretty ridiculous performance in a 4,100 lb car. It will be more expensive than the current Model 3 Performance for sure but I don’t think it will exceed Hyundai Ioniq 5N pricing.

Honestly, I can’t wait for it. I think the seats look great and I do prefer the Highland exterior changes. My belief is that it is going to offer E-Ray performance for half the price.
i hope not because the ioniq 5n is going to be 70k minimum before any markups which thankfully aren’t a thing with Tesla

Reactions: PhaseWhite