Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do believe that the next Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous/Plaid will be a true step up in performance. However, it won’t be a “Plaid” in the sense of tri-motors. It will still be dual motors.

Dual motors can still provide pretty ridiculous performance in a 4,100 lb car. It will be more expensive than the current Model 3 Performance for sure but I don’t think it will exceed Hyundai Ioniq 5N pricing.

Honestly, I can’t wait for it. I think the seats look great and I do prefer the Highland exterior changes. My belief is that it is going to offer E-Ray performance for half the price.
He said it would be a tri motor and all models will have a tri offering. Teslas new offerings synchronized.

Anyway, one sales guys discussion. Taking it as such :)

I thought it didn’t actually charge any faster than the Model 3 Performance?
Was meant to be a joke/dig at all the people saying 800V and 4680 structural packs are the answer, since the CT has these things and in the real world is charging slower than other cars and is getting pretty iffy range. Clearly these things do not magically make for a good EV.

Crazy that it is that fast when it weighs close to 5,000 lbs. Tesla definitely has the capabilities of making a Model 3 that would be insanely quick and fast. It just depends on what price point they want to hit.

The Ionia 5N will probably be over $80k with markups when it finally comes out in the US.
No one in their right mind is paying ADMs for this in this market. And if they do, god bless them. Fools. EVs are sucking wind big time. Markups? No chance I’d pay over sticker for any EV.

Thought experiment, if the carbon overwrap is stationary then how would it make a difference mechanically only at high RPMs?
Elon seems to understand only mechanical engineering (sort of)... So he might have made some immediate bro-science assumption about the reason for the carbon and he fires people who tells him he is wrong so they all shut up.

The Plaid rotor uses segmented iron to limit eddy currents. That's all there is to it.

Just as a generator uses magnets to induce currents in copper windings, the magnetic fields of a motor's copper windings induce currents in the iron of the spinning rotor. This current flows thru the iron to produce a magnetic field of its own, which is in opposition to the driving field and tries to turn the stator into a generator. This reversal is known as back EMF and is the reason that power begins to decline above 50mph in the Model 3 - the motor fights back by generating a voltage of it's own that the battery then has to overcome. By segmenting the iron, the electrical connection is broken such that only small eddy currents can develop and this undesirable back EMF is greatly reduced. But the segments also break the mechanical integrity of the rotor and there's no glue strong enough to bond these iron pieces back together so they tie up the whole jumble with a band of carbon fiber.

By having a higher supply voltage you can counter the back EMF with increased voltage to keep the power at higher rpm.

No. That's not how it works. Yes, that literally is exactly how it works, but the more voltage overhead the system has, the less efficient the motor and inverter become at lower power levels. So it's an optimization trade, not a simple "more is better".

Also, higher voltage = less losses. The ohmic losses is squared to the current, by doubling the voltage we cut the current in half and the losses by four.

No. That's not how it works. Battery power is basically proportional to battery mass, and motor power is basically proportional to copper mass. It doesn't really matter if the system is configured for 4V or 400V. Yes, there are 2nd order effects like the bus wiring size, insulation size, transistor design, etc. but from the motor/battery standpoint there's very little sensitivity to voltage.

When you double the design voltage of a motor, you cut the current in half and the I^2R losses by 1/4. But you also double the length of the windings and cut the wire size in half. Doubling the wire length and doubling the resistance results in 4X losses. So you're right back where you started.

Batteries have a similar limit in that wiring them for 2X voltage capability inherently cuts the maximum pack current by 1/2. The wattage remains the same.

So again, all 800V does is allow for faster charging. And not because of some Ohm's trickery, it's simply because people can't wrangle the larger cables that would be needed to flow umteen gigawatts at lower voltages.

• Informative
Reactions: SigNC
I still claim that when using motors made for delivering full power at for example 350V, having a battery that is capable of staying above 350V at full throttle/load for a wide range of SOC is what is needed to keep the power high not only at 80-100%.

This can be made by increasing the battery voltage (just like in the S Plaid by going from 96S to 110S) and it can also be done by reducing the internal redistance (just like the S Plaid by having the dragstrip mode warming the battery to ~40C).

In the S Plaid case it is evident that neither of the actions alone is sufficient to give the full power in the 20-100% range.
But together they do it well. Still, at higher speeds the low SOC reduces the power from what I see in my logs. I would guess the overhead voltage from using 110S instead of 96S is not enough at lower SOC to be able to use extra voltage to counter the EMF and loss of power at high rpm.

For the new M3P it would need to deliver better power outside the narrow band the okd one did, at least if they are to put the Plaid badge on the frunk lid.

I guess there will be battery warming, like the Dragstrip mode in the Plaid.
I guess a higher voltage battery would be desirable, but it might be too expensive to have a separate battery version for the Performance version, so not sure about that.
The Superchargers already are made for up to 500V, thats the reason we can charge our new model S with them.
I guess the 110S (462V) configuration was set to be able to use the current supercharging stations.

A 5C discharge in a Tesla is nothing like the 60C+ you're doing in RC helicopters.

Plus, the Plaid uses the EXACT same controller board part number as the Model 3. The plaid board even says "Model 3" on it. This is not a controller issue, nor a cooling issue.

Please, explain to me how 15% more battery voltage can take a motor from going from being peak output at 6000 RPM to holding power all the way to 16,000 RPM? And why anyone bothers to go to 800V architectures when that would just blow up a 320V motor? Why are we assuming there is only one motor on the planet and only batteries can change?

This is why it's so exciting that there is evidence that they changed the Model 3 rear motor- they can make much, much more difference in performance with that instead of just re-configuring the cells from 96S to 110S, and unless they are trying to make the M3P go 200MPH, it's not even clear 110S would do anything for a Plaid motor at lower RPM.
Technically the part number for the board is different, while the LR does use the exact model 3 inverter board down to the part numbers. I couldn't tell you what's different though, EPC claims both are rated for 810A.

Also for what it's worth, MSLR also uses the same 980 rear motor as the M3P. Front motor is obviously different. Neither is carbon wrapped, though the overall power curve is still much flatter than M3P. Not sure if the power curve difference is coming entirely from the front motor or if there's something else going on.

This can be made by increasing the battery voltage (just like in the S Plaid by going from 96S to 110S) and it can also be done by reducing the internal redistance (just like the S Plaid by having the dragstrip mode warming the battery to ~40C).

I guess there will be battery warming, like the Dragstrip mode in the Plaid.
In this video put out by Tesla they explicitly highlight that cool motors are the key to getting max power out of the Plaid. They also say that Dragstrip mode heats the battery “just a little bit”.

Not sure if the power curve difference is coming entirely from the front motor or if there's something else going on.
The vast majority of power loss in a Model 3 Performance comes from the front motor. Only half of the front motor max power is available at 130 mph.

IMG_1530.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: MrSlowEv
So some EPC digging now that the US Highland EPC is updated. Looks like the rear motor will either be a 3DU variant (same 990 motor as before) or a 4DU variant -- which interestingly is labeled as "Corked". 4DU itself isn't a big surprise, Model Ys were already rolling out with them, and possibly late non-highland Model 3s. But I think the corked description wasn't there before, and implies that there will be an "uncorked" variant at some point.

1705759020484.png

1705759035823.png

In this video put out by Tesla they explicitly highlight that cool motors are the key to getting max power out of the Plaid. They also say that Dragstrip mode heats the battery “just a little bit”.

I have data & logs from esch time I used dragstrip mode.

How to which temperature they are heated depends partly on the SOC.

How much they are heated depends on the initial temperature, of course.
High SOC heated to about 33C
Lower SOC heated to about 44C
The cell temp target is dynamic, so not 33 or 44C, these was just examples.

The motors do the heating so the motors are heated to the same temp(” (actually Slightly more to be s le to transfer the heat), inlet and outlet temps from the motors shows that.

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd