Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
interwebs is fast. just saw a screen capture on YT

K0Jp9M-WQ_Wvg7CAFOLQLuftqPARqHOOfY16TtoBE_hM56vNMLraTVgg7SWMAurD13ARN8p0pkgvGQ=s596-c-fcrop64=1,3c280000c3c7ffff-nd-v1

I think the fact they’ve submitted documents in Europe that it’ll have the 5D1 motor shows it’ll have a different rear motor. They had to do the same before they enabled adaptive / matrix headlights on the Highland and that came true. They’ve done the same for older models of 3 / Y for adaptive headlights which is how we know it’ll come to those cars at some point also.

I mean I guess nothing stopping them from changing their minds and refilling but seems unlikely. I think the reason the performance didn’t launch at the same time is the rear motor will be carbon wrapped and slightly different so they need time to test that. Think all the carbon wrapping only happens in the US but they’ll want that kit in China also I imagine.
Those documents are news to me. Then that would imply plaid motor in the rear

Reactions: Sellout
What does carbon wrapping do technically to allow more power? Thanks.
Guess maybe it’s wrong way of putting it but it stops the power dropping off at higher rpm’s like it does without it. This is why the Plaid doesn't drop off in performance at higher speeds but the Model 3 Performance does. This is even worse because at higher speeds you have more aerodynamic drag to overcome so the drop off in hp you get makes this worse.

To those that say no point adding it to the car, I think there's plenty of point. I'm not even sure that it would cost them a lot more to do this, other than the machines they need to buy / build to create them. I suspect they've got better at this and can do it cheaper than when the Plaid first came out.

Reactions: phantasms
Tesla only charges a few hundred bucks more for the front plaid motor (carbon wrapped) than the front LR motor (not carbon wrapped), so agreed they can do that upgrade for minimal cost.

If those old docs are anything to go by, sounds like they’re keeping the old induction front motor which is a bit of a shame since that seemed to be responsible for the bulk of the high speed power drop off. But maybe they could make up for it by cranking more power to the rear as the speed increases. The plaid front motor (5D1 which is supposedly going into the new performance rear) can officially do 314kW, thiugh in real life you tend to see more like 220ish when there’s no torque redistribution going on