Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the conclusion was it still would have been even at the quarter mile, but they didn't want to risk it.
Nope, Engineering explained did all the math and it would lose no question at 1/4 mile.

I mean you can see it at the 1/8 mile that there is no way the slowest 911 isn't gaining on the Cybertruck. This is where they were at the 1/8th after a much larger gap at the launch:
1710262636513.png

@n2mb_racing - So what I get from that thread is that Tesla never actually ran a quarter mile, has no idea what the actual quarter mile is, but that didn't stop them from publishing a video that says it's a quarter mile, and publishing a quarter mile time, because they have "faith" in their simulations. Oh, and they never actually show you the "best" 1/8th in the video either, so you have to trust them that the Cybertruck is faster than they showed, so your simulations can't be trusted.

As a great response to that tweet says:
1710263958566.png

Yep, not slimy of "desperate" at all, but rear seats out of a Taycan and having it actually crush the FASTEST Tesla at two very different tracks is just Porsche doing ridiculous things because they are so scared of Tesla.

Reminder that a Cybertruck by itself can't beat a higher end 911 in the quarter, even without towing a 911:

Last edited:
@n2mb_racing - So what I get from that thread is that Tesla never actually ran a quarter mile, has no idea what the actual quarter mile is, but that didn't stop them from publishing a video that says it's a quarter mile, and publishing a quarter mile, because they have faith in their simulations. Oh, and they never actually show you the "best" 1/8th in the video either, so you have to trust them that the Cybertruck is faster than they showed.

Yep, not slimy of "desperate" at all, but rear seats out of a Taycan are just Porsche doing ridiculous things because they are so scared of Tesla.

Reminder that a Cybertruck by itself can't beat a higher end 911 in the quarter, even without towing a 911:
You are definitely all correct there. However, let's be honest. A vehicle weighing that much doing 0-60 mph in 2.6 and 1/4 mile in low 11s or better is pretty impressive to us on its own. However, to any normal person they can't even comprehend the difference between a 10.9 second 1/4 mile and an 11.5 second 1/4 mile even though the 10.9 1/4 mile is SOOOOO much harder to achieve with that sized vehicle.

This all makes me even more confident that they can achieve Cyberbeast 0-60 mph numbers with a Model 3 Ludicrous and even better 1/4 mile times. That Cyberbeast is going so incredibly slow for the time it does when hits the 1/4 mile traps. The Model 3 Ludicrous should be going substantially faster even with only modest upgrades.

I really do think that the Cyberbeast shows us that Tesla is capable of way more than the current Model 3 Performance can do without raising the price substantially over what it was in 2021-2022.

A vehicle weighing that much doing 0-60 mph in 2.6 and 1/4 mile in low 11s or better is pretty impressive to us on its own
It is, which is what makes all the lies and exaggerations even more annoying. Definitely one of my least favorite parts of Tesla.

Same with the Plaid. It's blisteringly fast. Why do they have to do the shenanigans of quoting rollout time, quoting a top speed it can't achieve without a $20k brake retrofit, and quoting a trap speed it can't achieve when the real trap speed is still amazing.

Why do they have to do the shenanigans of quoting rollout time, quoting a top speed it can't achieve without a $20k brake retrofit, and quoting a trap speed it can't achieve when the real trap speed is still amazing.
No, you don't understand, they ran a simulation that said it could do those things, so no need to actually do it. It's the same thing.

I've heard a Plaid can do a 1:27.7 at Laguna and 7:07.6 at the Ring, they just haven't announced it yet as the simulation needs a few tweaks as it's currently running more like a 7:25 at the ring for some reason.