Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the taycan (7:07, $230,000) is ~4% faster around the a track than the plaid ($110,000, 7:25) at ~110% increase in price.
This is not the math anyone into performance cars runs because it's never logical and speed tends to be logarithmic in cost. A Plaid is not twice as fast as a Model 3 around any track or dragstrip, yet it costs twice as much. A Camaro ZL1 1LE will run 2% faster than the Plaid at the ring for 30% less. A Model 3 is not twice as fast as a used Corvette around any track, yet it costs twice as much. A Corvette is not twice as fast around a track as a $500 Lemons car, yet it costs 50X as much.

And that's all without getting into the incremental costs of tires, brakes, and fuel/energy as you actually go faster as well.

And none of this matters because not even 1% of us here actually track our cars.

This is not the math anyone into performance cars runs because it's never logical and speed tends to be logarithmic in cost. A Plaid is not twice as fast as a Model 3 around any track or dragstrip, yet it costs twice as much. A Camaro ZL1 1LE will run 2% faster than the Plaid at the ring for 30% less. A Model 3 is not twice as fast as a used Corvette around any track, yet it costs twice as much. A Corvette is not twice as fast around a track as a $500 Lemons car, yet it costs 50X as much.

And that's all without getting into the incremental costs of tires, brakes, and fuel/energy as you actually go faster as well.

And none of this matters because not even 1% of us here actually track our cars.
Right, it's almost as if it's all down to...preference.

Yes Elon but by how much?
D9827A6C-53C1-4488-B92E-24D71170219C.png
And

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheetah
Yes Elon but by how much?
Well, the car has a well published 8% reduction in drag, so yep, it's faster 0-100. Remember, Elon will use the smallest pedantic truth to keep the hype machine going.

The fact that we may be looking at a 3.2 second 0-60 (with rollout) in a Tesla performance sedan in 2024 when all the SUV's and trucks on the market can run 2.9 or less is just super disappointing. So much for them benchmarking and being terrified of cars like a BMW M3. It's clear that they know their market and 95% of M3P owners just buy it for the red badge and brakes.

The fact that we may be looking at a 3.2 second 0-60 (with rollout)
That's been debunked. You can verify yourself using the wayback machine on the model 3 configurator URL. Those numbers and "ludicrous" have been there since at least Jan. 2021.
in a Tesla performance sedan in 2024 when all the SUV's and trucks on the market can run 2.9 or less is just super disappointing.
All?

Well, the car has a well published 8% reduction in drag, so yep, it's faster 0-100. Remember, Elon will use the smallest pedantic truth to keep the hype machine going.

The fact that we may be looking at a 3.2 second 0-60 (with rollout) in a Tesla performance sedan in 2024 when all the SUV's and trucks on the market can run 2.9 or less is just super disappointing. So much for them benchmarking and being terrified of cars like a BMW M3. It's clear that they know their market and 95% of M3P owners just buy it for the red badge and brakes.
I don't believe any of those numbers at all. There is zero chance it comes out with a 0-60 mph time of 3.2 seconds(with rollout). Absolutely zero.

All suv and trucks are running sub 3.0 0-60? That’s definitely not an accurate statement

2025 Hyundai Ioniq 5 N priced at $67,475 for single, loaded trim - Autoblog

Hyundai released pricing for the Ioniq 5N... will be interesting to see how much lower the M3P will come in...i'm going to guess $60k if they bump the performance up. If Elon pulls an april fools on us and use the same old performance internals, then i can see them leaving it under 55 for the tax credit.
lol 67k before markup since Hyundai does it also just like they did for the Elantra N

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
lol 67k before markup since Hyundai does it also just like they did for the Elantra N

Markup initially but the Kia EV6 GT has good discounts now. Same will be for the Ioniq 5N...just will take some time. No hate though as the 5N looks like a fun hot hatch and I may have considered it except for the stupid removal of the ventilated auto seats.

Markup initially but the Kia EV6 GT has good discounts now. Same will be for the Ioniq 5N...just will take some time. No hate though as the 5N looks like a fun hot hatch and I may have considered it except for the stupid removal of the ventilated auto seats.
I think you can get 10-15k off the EV6 GT or ~$600/month leases on them now. I would cross-shop M3P/MYP and the 5N with those level of discounts.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I don't understand the anxiety of the comparison when none of those options are <$60k (and none are <3.0s save the CT and 2026 R2).
EV6 GT and i4 m50 are well under $60k with discounts.

But the point is that when the M3P was released in 2018 there was nothing even close to it. Now you have huge 7000lbs trucks and hyundais and kias pretty much neck and neck. BMW M3s and Audi RS3, Corvettes are cheaper ICE cars that can do 0-60 in 3 seconds or less too (and much faster above 60)

Reactions: gearchruncher
EV6 GT and i4 m50 are well under $60k with discounts.

But the point is that when the M3P was released in 2018 there was nothing even close to it. Now you have huge 7000lbs trucks and hyundais and kias pretty much neck and neck.
It's not disappointing to see enough competition to bring down the extra soft margins of Teslas. I'd imagine from Tesla's perspective it's also good because more compelling EVs on the road is in line with their mission statement. I hope all potential EV6 GT and m50 buyers receive those discounts.

BMW M3s and Audi RS3, Corvettes are cheaper ICE cars that can do 0-60 in 3 seconds or less too (and much faster above 60)
Congrats to the fart cars?

• Funny
Reactions: moonchild