Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it'll be a solid upgrade if not the jump from Model S before Plaid to Plaid. 275 tyres should give it some extra grip at slow speeds so it'll hopefully be somewhat quicker to 60. Better top end from the new motor gives it a reasonable performance boost overall without hopefully a cost increase.

I'm actually more interested in the new suspension. In comfort will this match or even beat the lower models and yet be nice change enough to be nice and sporty also. Other brands can pull this off so hoping Tesla has done so as well.
I'm with you on that. The suspension in the current car bothered me quite a bit so I went to the MPP comfort coilovers, but the Highland LR that I test drove still felt better to me than my current car AND it was quieter inside on the same roads than the S LR that I tested the same day. I can't wait to test drive the new 3P.

I'm with you on that. The suspension in the current car bothered me quite a bit so I went to the MPP comfort coilovers, but the Highland LR that I test drove still felt better to me than my current car AND it was quieter inside on the same roads than the S LR that I tested the same day. I can't wait to test drive the new 3P.
Yes, I've tried a Highland and it's really impressive. If I can get that kind of comfort plus some extra performance with not a massive range drop off then I'm sold.

I’m not so sure, the battery is really the limiting factor here.
Not really. With improved cooling (just faster pumps and better radiator) it can give more power for longer. Also its not 100% certain which pack design would be in use.

But more importantly - 0-50 and top speed never been limited by the battery.

Top end is cheaper motors design with too much back emf.

And 0-50 is intentionally limited by inverter design to avoid stepping on Model S specs.

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
Not really. With improved cooling (just faster pumps and better radiator) it can give more power for longer. Also its not 100% certain which pack design would be in use.

And 0-50 is intentionally limited by inverter design to avoid stepping on Model S specs.
According to eivissacopter on X, battery pack would be LG for Europe/Asia & Panasonic for USA...the same as we know already.

Well I'm from Europe, first ones seem to be made in China so it'll have the LG pack. Unknown if they'll use Panasonic pack in the US but seeing as LR doesn't anymore I think you'll have the LG pack also.

Anyway I agree they can go faster 0-60 and wider tyres will help with that. Just remember LG pack Model 3 Performance is slower than Panasonic. It doesn't drop off as much at lower SOC though and is better in colder climates. Believe the degregation is also less as well.

Well I'm from Europe, first ones seem to be made in China so it'll have the LG pack. Unknown if they'll use Panasonic pack in the US but seeing as LR doesn't anymore I think you'll have the LG pack also.

FWIW the previous gen P stuck with the Panasonic pack even after LR-AWD switched to LG some time ago.

Not guaranteed it will this time, in fact several reasons it doesn't make sense to (mostly around pricing and the IRA credits which are different this year than last for the 3) but simply LR using them doesn't necessarily tell us much.

After seeing all that I’m seeing the likelihood of a significant price hike over the current M3P. The question I’m curious about is “will it be priced above a base MS and if so how much faster do you make it in order the justify the cost over it.
When they finally sold out of the 2023 Model 3 Performance cars they were listed at about $46k. Of course the new one is going to be more expensive than that. However, I doubt they will be above $60k which is what they cost back in 2021 and 2022 when I got mine.

This Ludicrous Model 3 will be a bargain to people who bought brand new 2022 Model 3 Performance cars if they can get out of the current car without losing too much money.

After seeing all that I’m seeing the likelihood of a significant price hike over the current M3P. The question I’m curious about is “will it be priced above a base MS and if so how much faster do you make it in order the justify the cost over it.
I don't think the changes are that expensive on an OEM level. A better battery pack would be worth paying significantly extra for.
Ludicrous mode would just be squeezing an already strained pack even more.

Possibly offset by the federal incentive that might be available on new performance models with the Panasonic battery?

Just remember LG pack Model 3 Performance is slower than Panasonic. It doesn't drop off as much at lower SOC though and is better in colder climates.
There's a very informative thread over on TFF Forum by @eivissa that compares the 3L and 5L batteries.

The power of the Panasonic pack is always greater than the LG, except below 16% to 22% SoC, depending upon temperature. At this SoC both are underperforming.

AIUI the new rear motor in the M3L has more high speed power but no more torque from 0-60. The 3.2s 0-60 time may well be correct with the LG pack.

There's a very informative thread over on TFF Forum by @eivissa that compares the 3L and 5L batteries.

The power of the Panasonic pack is always greater than the LG, except below 16% to 22% SoC, depending upon temperature. At this SoC both are underperforming.

AIUI the new rear motor in the M3L has more high speed power but no more torque from 0-60. The 3.2s 0-60 time may well be correct with the LG pack.
That would be extremely disappointing if true, but with a peak performance mode that heats the battery the testers should get a little better numbers than normal.

I hope they don't raise the price too much otherwise might have to just go for the LR. The last MSRP of the 2023 Model 3 Performance I could find was $73,290 CAD ($53,789 USD). (according to driving.ca)

They seem to be going all out with this refresh though, so maybe it will end up being more like $82K CAD ($60K USD), assuming they won't be trying for the US EV tax credit.

Maybe they would offer a "Ludicrous/Ludicrous+" acceleration software unlock to keep the MSRP down, with "Insane" being the base offering.

FWIW the previous gen P stuck with the Panasonic pack even after LR-AWD switched to LG some time ago.

Not guaranteed it will this time, in fact several reasons it doesn't make sense to (mostly around pricing and the IRA credits which are different this year than last for the 3) but simply LR using them doesn't necessarily tell us much.
Not the made in China models it didn't, P stayed on Panasonic for a bit longer but it's been on the LG pack for a good while now.

I hope they don't raise the price too much otherwise might have to just go for the LR. The last MSRP of the 2023 Model 3 Performance I could find was $73,290 CAD ($53,789 USD). (according to driving.ca)

They seem to be going all out with this refresh though, so maybe it will end up being more like $82K CAD ($60K USD), assuming they won't be trying for the US EV tax credit.

Maybe they would offer a "Ludicrous/Ludicrous+" acceleration software unlock to keep the MSRP down, with "Insane" being the base offering.
I’m worried it’ll be priced more in line with an Ioniq 5N at 67k ish

• Funny
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I don't think the changes are that expensive on an OEM level. A better battery pack would be worth paying significantly extra for.
Ludicrous mode would just be squeezing an already strained pack even more.
It depends I used to work in OEM, you’re talking about the suspension changes plus whatever carbon fiber plus the wheels, the seats and other external stuff not to mention potentially whatever battery changes there are. It depends on what kind of margins they are shooting for

I’m worried it’ll be priced more in line with an Ioniq 5N at 67k ish

From this recent article "Hyundai IONIQ 5 N pricing for Canada announced" :
...it will also by Hyundai’s most expensive vehicle in Canada. The IONIQ 5 N will only come in an all-wheel drive (AWD) trim, priced at $78,199 CAD $(57,391.65 USD)
Which is interesting, considering that's $10K cheaper if one just converted the US price of $67,475 USD ($91,284 CAD).

Also I feel like the 5N is more similar to Model Y size, which the Performance trim is currently priced at $69,990 CAD (and -5K for iZEV Federal rebate for being <$70K). Tesla can likely offer lower prices with their better vehicle margins.

If the Ludicrous is 75K CAD that'd be great, feels a bit harder to justify much more than 80K though.

From this recent article "Hyundai IONIQ 5 N pricing for Canada announced" :

Which is interesting, considering that's $10K cheaper if one just converted the US price of $67,475 USD ($91,284 CAD).

Also I feel like the 5N is more similar to Model Y size, which the Performance trim is currently priced at $69,990 CAD (and -5K for iZEV Federal rebate for being <$70K). Tesla can likely offer lower prices with their better vehicle margins.

If the Ludicrous is 75K CAD that'd be great, feels a bit harder to justify much more than 80K though.

It’s interesting that those are two significantly different prices that are published in two different magazines, but my main thing isn’t so much the comparison of the size as much as just roughly around the power, and what the current cost of a performance EV is

Reactions: spennnyy