Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean, if you’re going just for speed, it doesn’t even matter because the previous generation model three performance was already faster than what the ionic 5N is running at the track
But the Ionic 5N do not overheat like the current m3p and probably the m3l will do.. i managed 4-5 laps on my track before the battery went yellow and power loss. So well under 10 minutes and the heat fest starts... thats the thing with 800v, half the amps and a much better charge curve.

But the Ionic 5N do not overheat like the current m3p and probably the m3l will do.. i managed 4-5 laps on my track before the battery went yellow and power loss. So well under 10 minutes and the heat fest starts... thats the thing with 800v, half the amps and a much better charge curve.
Is that really known to be true? It’s a 2025 model that isn’t in customers hands anywhere yet is it?

what identifiers can I look for that's indicative of the car having the 3D6 motor without actually looking at the car physically?
You are looking for drive unit (DU) category (CAT) 2 or 3 which is indicated by a Q or Z respectively in the second character of the version code on the registration document. For example, mine is variant: E3LD and version: PQP2S5N.

Last edited:
So if I were to look for a pre-owned M3P in the US, what identifiers can I look for that's indicative of the car having the 3D6 motor without actually looking at the car physically? As long as it was built in Q1 of 2022?
These unicorns don't exist in the US as you guys never got the transition to hairpin motors in the Model 3. The 3D6/3D7 were Shanghai/Grünheide only.
Now with the 2024 Highland Ludicrous you will get the first hairpin motor in form of the 4D2.

In the US I'd be looking at M3P with AMD Ryzen MCU as the best combination of current cars. There is only Fremont as source and only 3D1 as rear motor.

I suppose we would have seen something by now if there was an official info release today. I would have bet money earlier this week it would have been today.
1712345169181.png

I think media would need a bit longer. Can some edit up videos quicker, sure but not all. Also there’s the written articles to write if they had more traditional media there also and not just YouTubers. Next week though you’d think, they can all write articles and edit videos for a new iPhone where Apple gives them a week.

Monday?

This is the more confusing chart behind my prediction, which also shows how I expect the front and rear motors to behave on the new car and how I know they do behave right now. The chart also includes the claimed motor limits from the internal Tesla docs.

View attachment 1034605
I think this is very informative about the likely, relative performance from 0-100kph and above 100kph.

• The area under the curve of the M3L-LG-Comb is less than the M3P-PANA-Comb from 0-100kph, so the M3L-LG-Comb will not be faster than the M3P-PANA-Comb.
  • The area under the curve of the M3L-LG-Comb is greater than the M3P-LG-Comb from 0-100kph, so the M3L-LG-Comb will be faster than the M3P-LG-Comp we have in the UK/EU.
  • The area under the curve of the M3L-PANA-Comb is a little greater than the M3P-PANA-Comb from 0-100kph, so the M3L-PANA-Comb will be a little faster to 100kph but will have greater acceleration above 100kph.
One conclusion is that the M3L will be faster than the M3P with the same battery, so the M3L will be faster than the M3P in the US, and the M3L will be faster than the last version of M3P in the UK/EU.

The M3L-PANA-Comb is the fastest of all, but will the homologated, published performance stats be based on this, or the slower M3L-LG-Comb version? It would be polite to understate the performance a little, but not if it were slower than the outgoing model. Is this the origin of the 3.2s 0-60 time?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood
I suppose we would have seen something by now if there was an official info release today. I would have bet money earlier this week it would have been today.
View attachment 1035956
Not even sure if I'll order this or a Long Range. My concern is the range and if the sports seats will work for longer trips and larger framed people. Most cars I've ever had with bolstered sports seats the bolsters are adjustable so you can get them right regardless of your size.

I just know I might kick myself if I don't want to see the reviews and final details before making a call. Just need to order soon as my Eletre went back this week so I have no car. Sharing with the wife can work for us but it is a pain also.

Reactions: gsxdsm
Not even sure if I'll order this or a Long Range. My concern is the range and if the sports seats will work for longer trips and larger framed people. Most cars I've ever had with bolstered sports seats the bolsters are adjustable so you can get them right regardless of your size.

I just know I might kick myself if I don't want to see the reviews and final details before making a call. Just need to order soon as my Eletre went back this week so I have no car. Sharing with the wife can work for us but it is a pain also.

If you care about range just swap on some Eco 235s and light 18" wheels then drive in chill mode.