Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I promise you, the 911 turbo S will pass into the sunset before the 1/4 mile marker.. the 911ts is a beast and outlauches the m3l and just keeps on pulling.
My thinking is the M3 will someday replace the Plaid it’s in inching towards that goal slowly, but surely. We are probably years away from that yet, though. Just a bit of speculation and fun. I don’t think many people cross shop the M3P and 911 Turbo S?

My thinking is the M3 will someday replace the Plaid it’s in inching towards that goal slowly, but surely. We are probably years away from that yet, though. Just a bit of speculation and fun. I don’t think many people cross shop the M3P and 911 Turbo S?
BMW m3 is probably more the benchmark for the model 3 than a 911.

I honestly don’t think they’ll get rid of the S/X if only because they want to keep the s3xy pun. I think Tesla also does recognize that having a flagship / halo product does attract buyers to the brand.

Reactions: easyev
I dont see a significant cost difference of LR and M3L. Mostly increased cost of battery warranty, few lower quantity production parts and few additional cheap parts. All in all, I highly doubt that direct cost increase is more than 300 USD.

Then there is additional R&D, marketing and production NREs which need to be covered by the difference of upsell price and additional future sales from the improvement of brand series image.

So the price is only going to be determined by the profit ladder between different other propositions.

Cost has nothing to do with it.

And I still believe that it will be like 2.8 Insane mode, 2.5 Ludicrous for additional price.

And later they will do a track pack with different brakes and wheels which they won't ever going to bother to certify in EU.

Or 19 wheels is a track pack and comes with better brakes and already certified. But I doubt, because mainstream believes that larger wheels are better. Might be a stupid thing like 20 inch is track pack...

And I still believe that it will be like 2.8 Insane mode, 2.5 Ludicrous for additional price.

And later they will do a track pack with different brakes and wheels which they won't ever going to bother to certify in EU.

Or 19 wheels is a track pack and comes with better brakes and already certified. But I doubt, because mainstream believes that larger wheels are better. Might be a stupid thing like 20 inch is track pack...
Where are they going to get this magic Ludicrous package from when the battery is the limit?

• Disagree
Reactions: Krash and Adam3
Ed

could Tesla do something like BMW with a short term overboost function? My i4 has a 10 second boost function that adds 60 hp. Just a thought.
I’m not an expert on this but they have to get it certified in some countries around maximum battery power peak, this is already done and it doesn’t have more battery power. If they wanted to offer this, they’d have to get it certified.

For instance the LR has been certified in Europe to the levels the car was providing with Acceleration Boost so while it’s not available to buy anymore, they did certify the car and battery that they could offer it at any time.

Reactions: clerks
Where are they going to get this magic Ludicrous package from when the battery is the limit?
There is space in the launch to cut a few tenths off the 0-60, and there is a little bit of space above ~45mph if the motors (efficiency / back-EMF) and inverters (efficiency/robustness) are up to it. There is a lot of space approaching and above 100mph.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
There is space in the launch to cut a few tenths off the 0-60, and there is a little bit of space above ~45mph if the motors (efficiency / back-EMF) and inverters (efficiency/robustness) are up to it. There is a lot of space approaching and above 100mph.
Guess we’ll see soon but I don’t believe there will be a Ludicrous package. You’ll be able to get it with 19’s or 20’s, range of colours, etc and that’s it.

My opinion on this is this is the fall back model. They hoped to have a new battery ready that would have made it a lot faster but it didn’t turn up so fall back is to just ship with the existing battery.

Guess we’ll see soon but I don’t believe there will be a Ludicrous package. You’ll be able to get it with 19’s or 20’s, range of colours, etc and that’s it.

My opinion on this is this is the fall back model. They hoped to have a new battery ready that would have made it a lot faster but it didn’t turn up so fall back is to just ship with the existing battery.
I mean at this point it’s all but confirmed the car is going to be called a Model 3 Ludicrous. We’ve seen the badging in the flesh and in software

Reactions: phantasms
I mean at this point it’s all but confirmed the car is going to be called a Model 3 Ludicrous. We’ve seen the badging in the flesh and in software
Yes I don’t disagree with that. Just was a suggestion there would be a software package like acceleration boost that would unlock a Ludicrous speed upgrade.

It might be called Ludicrous but in the cars options it only goes up to Insane. A Model S Plaid has a Plaid option, the Model 3 Ludicrous doesn’t, it just goes to Insane.

Hence as said I think they wanted a Ludicrous option but didn’t pull it off this time.

Battery or motors are not limiting 0-60.
You’re suggesting they are intentionally sand bagging the car. That happens say when you have a higher end model you don’t want to get too close to but this will never get close to the Plaid. So why would they make it slower on purpose?

My opinion is what they announce and you can get will be the best the platform can offer with the components used. Will they improve it over time, of course that’s what Tesla does. But this new car when they ship it, I don’t think they will be some magic £2k option that’s going to reduce 0-60 by 0.2 - 0.3 seconds.

Reactions: Adam3
You’re suggesting they are intentionally sand bagging the car. That happens say when you have a higher end model you don’t want to get too close to but this will never get close to the Plaid. So why would they make it slower on purpose?

My opinion is what they announce and you can get will be the best the platform can offer with the components used. Will they improve it over time, of course that’s what Tesla does. But this new car when they ship it, I don’t think they will be some magic £2k option that’s going to reduce 0-60 by 0.2 - 0.3 seconds.
I am sure they were just trying to beat out the competition without snapping axles. However, there are no major hurdles keeping them from dropping a few extra tenths off the launch, especially with 275 summer tires out back.

Reactions: ChuckM3P
Which is what 2.9 seconds is to 60. 0.2 seconds less than the less model…
Which is what 2.9 seconds is to 60. 0.2 seconds less than the less model…
The inverters and motors are likely capable of shaving a couple tenths off through raw torque from 5-35. The battery is also likely capable of making up a tenth from 45-60 by maintaining peak HP a bit longer, if the new motors can hang.

We’re saying they could probably make up an additional couple tenths from 0-5mph with a separate “launch mode.” All in all, that’s how we theoretically get half second faster with current hardware.

Reactions: Sellout
Yes I don’t disagree with that. Just was a suggestion there would be a software package like acceleration boost that would unlock a Ludicrous speed upgrade.

It might be called Ludicrous but in the cars options it only goes up to Insane. A Model S Plaid has a Plaid option, the Model 3 Ludicrous doesn’t, it just goes to Insane.

Hence as said I think they wanted a Ludicrous option but didn’t pull it off this time.
It was also dev software. They may have simply not changed the label yet. As far as the motor controllers go, whether it’s called insane, ludicrous, or plaid, it’s just mapped to the peak performance.