Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issue is that the LR is neither quick nor fast anymore since you can’t get the boost upgrade and the top speed is limited now.

Agree and I still love the extra oomph my current M3P provides. Give me the extra highway oomph with the adaptive dampers and 19s for a decent price and Tesla will have my money again. But please please don’t get rid of the ventilated seats. 😁

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
The issue is that the LR is neither quick nor fast anymore since you can’t get the boost upgrade and the top speed is limited now.
4.2 seconds isn't that bad so I'd accept that if there's no acceleration boost. Still be fine for a daily driver but yes I'd like more if possible, hence seeing what this car can be. It's also a real 4.2 seconds, not a fake one with rollout.

Top speed is still way over the legal limit here. You might only get a ticket and slap on the hand but you'll lose your driving license here if caught at those speeds or even potentially go to jail if they feel your driving was dangerous / reckless. So the top speed is still way more than I'd ever need.

I think the Ludicrous with active suspension on 19's could be more comfortable than a LR on 19's with passive suspension. This could be a great car, I might not get it but I want to weight up my options once it's announced.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
4.2 seconds isn't that bad so I'd accept that if there's no acceleration boost. Still be fine for a daily driver but yes I'd like more if possible, hence seeing what this car can be. It's also a real 4.2 seconds, not a fake one with rollout.

Top speed is still way over the legal limit here. You might only get a ticket and slap on the hand but you'll lose your driving license here if caught at those speeds or even potentially go to jail if they feel your driving was dangerous / reckless. So the top speed is still way more than I'd ever need.

I think the Ludicrous with active suspension on 19's could be more comfortable than a LR on 19's with passive suspension. This could be a great car, I might not get it but I want to weight up my options once it's announced.
3 years ago I would have said a real 4.2 second 0-60 mph was plenty but times have changed a lot in those 3 years. Technically, I think the Plaid only existed on paper 3 years ago around this time of year? Maybe it had just come out then?

10 second sedans are not unheard of now. You even have multiple choices for stock 10 second sedans now they just cost a lot.

A 10 second stock sedan for $55k really would be a big deal. Only the $90k+ BMW M3 XComp comes close to that now stock.

3 years ago I would have said a real 4.2 second 0-60 mph was plenty but times have changed a lot in those 3 years. Technically, I think the Plaid only existed on paper 3 years ago around this time of year? Maybe it had just come out then?

10 second sedans are not unheard of now. You even have multiple choices for stock 10 second sedans now they just cost a lot.

A 10 second stock sedan for $55k really would be a big deal. Only the $90k+ BMW M3 XComp comes close to that now stock.
Before I got my M3P, I was probably doing for a long range as my primary goal was not paying $6/gallon for gas. Now that I have it, I doubt I can ever live with the LR. 😁

It’s still a world apart from the 3.2-3.3 the M3P does. I don’t think many current m3p owners will be satisfied with the LR.

Before I got my M3P, I was probably doing for a long range as my primary goal was not paying $6/gallon for gas. Now that I have it, I doubt I can ever live with the LR. 😁
I had a Kia Stinger with a JB4 and some snorkels doing 4.2 real 0-60 mph before the Model 3 Performance. I tried the Model 3 LR and it wasn’t enough for my needs. The Performance was great for these last 3 years but I really want a 10 second 1/4 mile sedan that fits comfortably in my garage.

I had a Kia Stinger with a JB4 and some snorkels doing 4.2 real 0-60 mph before the Model 3 Performance. I tried the Model 3 LR and it wasn’t enough for my needs. The Performance was great for these last 3 years but I really want a 10 second 1/4 mile sedan that fits comfortably in my garage.
It still cracks me up that a 10sec sedan is more normal nowadays. Having to make sure you have a fire jacket for NHRA drags with a 4 door daily driver is always a good time

Right but I don't quarter mile my road car on public roads and risk going to prison. So I don't care what the trap speed is, I just care how it gets to 70mph, how it corners (We have lots of those in Europe), how comfortable it is for me and my family, etc. Frankly unless you go out at like 3am you'll struggle to find anywhere you could quarter mile a car here, plus a lot of roads that might be suitable have speed cameras on them.

So do I want faster than 4.2 seconds then yes, it's why I'm here but not if it compromises the car in a lot of other ways.

There's no such things as a Plaid in the UK. Nothing much is beating a M3P on UK roads and not much actually beats a LR. Sure there's ICE cars that do it with launch control but no one does launch control on the road here. So those say 3.5 second German saloons are probably more like 4.5+ when they accelerate off boost, having to release the auto parking brake, start the engine from stop / start, etc.

Right but I don't quarter mile my road car on public roads and risk going to prison. So I don't care what the trap speed is, I just care how it gets to 70mph, how it corners (We have lots of those in Europe), how comfortable it is for me and my family, etc. Frankly unless you go out at like 3am you'll struggle to find anywhere you could quarter mile a car here, plus a lot of roads that might be suitable have speed cameras on them.

So do I want faster than 4.2 seconds then yes, it's why I'm here but not if it compromises the car in a lot of other ways.

There's no such things as a Plaid in the UK. Nothing much is beating a M3P on UK roads and not much actually beats a LR. Sure there's ICE cars that do it with launch control but no one does launch control on the road here. So those say 3.5 second German saloons are probably more like 4.5+ when they accelerate off boost, having to release the auto parking brake, start the engine from stop / start, etc.
I’m in the exact same boat here in Australia. We also don’t get Plaid and we also have very strict speed limits (maybe even more so than the UK).

If the new M3L is not significantly quicker off the line whilst still being compliant for regular driving, I’ll just go with a new LR.

I believe once the M3L is released, the Acceleration Boost for LR will become available again shortly after. LR with boost is 3.9 to 100km/h which with the instant pickup will be plenty without losing out on range and (potentially) comfort compared to the M3L.

Just waiting to pull the trigger any day now….

We are so lucky here to have 4 Drag strips within 60 miles of my doorstep. That makes doing 1/4 mile runs against someone so much easier and safer.

60-130 mph runs on the highway here are go straight to jail and have your car seized.

Reactions: phantasms
60-130 mph runs on the highway here are go straight to jail and have your car seized.
Really depends on location. Plenty of folks get pulled over for such speeds with just a slap on the wrist. And unlike the countries mentioned above, the US tends to have vast areas with no population, no cops, and no speed cameras. Well I guess Australia should have that too, but idk if they have much in the way of highways in those areas

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
I’m in the exact same boat here in Australia. We also don’t get Plaid and we also have very strict speed limits (maybe even more so than the UK).

If the new M3L is not significantly quicker off the line whilst still being compliant for regular driving, I’ll just go with a new LR.

I believe once the M3L is released, the Acceleration Boost for LR will become available again shortly after. LR with boost is 3.9 to 100km/h which with the instant pickup will be plenty without losing out on range and (potentially) comfort compared to the M3L.

Just waiting to pull the trigger any day now….
Thank you my fellow repressed RHD brother. You get it 👊

It still cracks me up that a 10sec sedan is more normal nowadays. Having to make sure you have a fire jacket for NHRA drags with a 4 door daily driver is always a good time
They don’t seem to care about those things here. I have seen guys run 9s without a helmet. If you signed the waiver you are good to go.

They even let guys run 11s in an SUV with a backseat full of toddlers in car seats.

• Funny
Reactions: cptnslo
Really depends on location. Plenty of folks get pulled over for such speeds with just a slap on the wrist. And unlike the countries mentioned above, the US tends to have vast areas with no population, no cops, and no speed cameras. Well I guess Australia should have that too, but idk if they have much in the way of highways in those areas
Cops don’t mess around where I live. Cameras everywhere and they monitor them constantly. If they get you on radar at high speeds you are done for.

We are so lucky here to have 4 Drag strips within 60 miles of my doorstep. That makes doing 1/4 mile runs against someone so much easier and safer.

Santa Pod isn't far from where I live but I've never been. Race tracks are more popular here but again most people finance a new car and there is normally strict rules you don't track them as you don't technically own the car until it's all paid off. Some do of course but if they crash it they could be in for a world of financial hurt, you'll see some take their plates off to try to hide they are doing it (As always people filming) then if they crash it try to get it towed to a public road to then be able to make an insurance claim.

Anyway as most of our best roads are twisty, you don't need a massive speed. Even if the speed limit is normally 60mph on most of those roads that's fine because they have corners you might have to drop to 20 - 30mph. Then you come out accelerate to 60 and a few seconds later have to be back on the brakes. Quick accelerating cars are fun but handling is really important. You don't need a high top end speed to have an enjoyable and legal drive.

Cops don’t mess around where I live. Cameras everywhere and they monitor them constantly. If they get you on radar at high speeds you are done for.

FWIW Raleigh stopped issuing camera citations last month- and AFAIK they were only ever red light cams, not speed.

AFAIK speed cameras aren't even legal in NC (no tickets that carry points can be issued from camera evidence, even red light ones are 0 points and max $50 fine)

The big issue you'll have here is you'll almost never be on the road without other cars around. The police use a lot of unmarked cars so you don't know if one of those cars is a police car or not. Plus of course when it gets dark it's often impossible to tell a police car behind you until he puts his lights on.

Not saying you don't get some people speeding, you obviously do and the police aren't everywhere so you can get away with it a lot of the time but you don't know. Most though won't go past 100 on a motorway as that's where they'll really come down on you.

Guess we should go back to spending pages arguing about whether the 0-60 will be 2.6 or 2.9

The hellcat was the first to do it at 70k bone stock. I had a 2017 Dodge Charger Hellcat and that ran 10.8 with just street drag radials and an intake (no tune) on a 90 degree day. 10 second sedans are pretty common now and they can be had for great value used and minimal mods. An RS3 with an e85 tune and downpipe is a 10 second car easily for less than 55k.

When the electric Hellcat comes out Dodge will offer e-tunes for it, and that will be competitively priced. I think Tesla really needs to up the ball on the M3P and potentially offer upgrades across the board rather than lock everything down, otherwise they're just going to continue to lose sales.