Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm interested in the new Performance but Tesla's trade-in valuation for my 2020 M3P is £23k, WBAC is £20,745 and Motorway is up to £24,988. So at best a gap of around £35k. I'm torn now between waiting to see if the price drops, but then the valuation of my car will almost certainly drop too, or going for the Highland LR. Or just keeping my car. I never was good at decisions!

M3LR highland is a great car for the price it is been sold. I think our purchasing decisions cannot be influenced by what the price is in Europe or US. If that’s the case then they shouldn’t be bothered to buy any of the Rangerovers or Jaguars.
I agree. Will they maybe drop it, probably but it's still a lot of car for the price I paid and got to make a call at some point. Also as you rightly say, have to take the prices in the UK vs other cars because we need to buy in the UK when we want the wheel on the correct side.

Obviously would need to try the seats once the Performance gets here but realistically I want a Performance Long Range or Performance+. Give me 19inch wheels instead of 20's and a larger battery, maybe 90kWh with 85kWh usable. Enough that the range becomes more like a regular Long Range while also being able to give us the car it probably should be with the motors it has. Not the gimped version coming from China currently vs the USA car.

In reverse the Long Range is better from China than the USA. They now have the same LG battery but are not using the hairpin motor in the rear. Honestly it does my head in a bit that you can order the same car but it's actually not the same car, depending on where it's built and what parts they might have at the time. Like Model Y's with HW4 in some locations, not in others and so on.

Reactions: Durzel
I'm interested in the new Performance but Tesla's trade-in valuation for my 2020 M3P is £23k, WBAC is £20,745 and Motorway is up to £24,988. So at best a gap of around £35k. I'm torn now between waiting to see if the price drops, but then the valuation of my car will almost certainly drop too, or going for the Highland LR. Or just keeping my car. I never was good at decisions!
I was 100% in your position. I waited from December until last month and the only difference is I’ve got 15,000 points and lost about 4K on my trade-in.

Still not sure if I’ve made the right choice. Still waiting for my car and now the P is out. FFS.

I don’t disagree and I’m in that boat although my new PCP APR is 8.6%. Problem I have is my 3P value is dropping by the second. Tesla valued my car a month ago at £24,500, about the same as WBAC.com. Today WBAC.com is £18,000 that’s a loss of £6,500 in 30 days - the car has just been sitting in the garage. My current order has 15,000 loyalty points = 9000 free miles of driving. That bonus goes next week so that’s a grand or two lost. The press don’t think interest rates will come down before Aug, Sept or even later and if they drop by even 1 whole percent it’s not going to make that much difference. If Tesla dropped to say 6-7% again the drop isn't huge.

I’m not sure I am making the right decision purchasing a Highland right now but I’ve kind of run out of options. My PCP has ended and I’m on a HP extension at the moment so I can no longer return the car. My only other option is to extend the HP for up to 18 months but who knows if I will be better of worse off then vs now 😵‍💫
To flip the argument on its head - have you considered what you're going to lose on the new car in terms of depreciation? I would be very surprised if you lost more keeping your current car than you would buying a brand new car.

With the amount of cars Tesla are pumping out, and have made clear they want to increase either through volume or discounts, any new Tesla is going to crater in terms of depreciation. New cars do anyway, but Teslas seem to suffer disproportionately. I would optimistically expect them to be half price within 2 years. It's a buyers market with how many are coming to market constantly with them dropping off business leases, etc.

All of that is to say that if you're getting spooked by what appears to be big monthly drops then you should not expect any salvation in buying a brand new car. I would also say that it stands to reason that the car can't drop by £thousands every month because otherwise by the end of the year you'd have to pay someone to take it off your hands. The car has a floor price due to the battery, etc.

The APR on the P is still 9.6%, but the RWD/LR has dropped to 5.9%. Why the difference? Tesla are gouging early adopters, pure and simple.

If you just want the car because it is calling to you - that's fine. Man maths is a powerful drug. I would be wary however of trying to rationalise buying a brand new car and starting the whole savage depreciation journey over again, thinking that it will save you money somehow.

Strange my order has just updated with this..

IMG_5421.jpeg

The APR on the P is still 9.6%, but the RWD/LR has dropped to 5.9%
My 4 year PCP is now cheaper over 3 years, that’s how much difference it makes.

Just waiting for Tesla to confirm they will honour the new APR since the 5.9% is not with BlackHorse and I’ve already been approved. I guess if BlackHorse don’t match it I’ll have to do another finance with the other company and drop BlackHorse.

They did, along with reverting to 'standard' ride height. It's still firm and not all that comfortable at slow speeds. Probably the single reason I would be interested in the '24 M3P when/if they put a better battery pack in it.
Having trouble sussing out...

Would a 2018 and 2024 M3P have the same clearance or would the 2024 be lower? Asking for my driveway. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Kevg and FastLaneJB
Strange my order has just updated with this..

View attachment 1042013
Yeah I had this today also. They haven’t advertised they’ve had ultrasonic sensors for a long time so there’s no need for it anymore surely. Maybe someone clicked a button and pushed it out again by mistake.

Or maybe it’s because I used a referral code so have 3 months of free enhanced autopilot where most of the features are not available yet.

But sometime people do not research that much when they buy these cars, later come back and complain they thought they had parking sensors.
Frankly I’d think most people wouldn’t know how it all works and the high fidelity parking assist would likely have them fooled for the most part.

Having had wife’s car when it had nothing (Terrible) to the first iteration (So so and better than nothing), the new one is actually pretty good in a unique kind of way.