Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 hub caps stolen *ugh*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks all. Yes, I meant our ratty scraped up Aero covers. no reason to want them, someone just probably wanted to take them off to be mean. it was quite stormy here yesterday and they hit a patch of road that felt like hydroplaning but didn't notice anything else. but, on the way home, (it's a few miles to the gym each way) they heard a scraping sound and when they got out to check there is plastic or something hanging off the back middle underside of the car and the 3 aero caps were gone. So now they are thinking they ran something over like a big branch when they hydroplaned? that then caused the aero caps to pop off? I am doubtful about that but what a coinkydink that the poor car suffered all that at once.

I think it's pretty common for the water pressure to force the aero covers off, I read about it somewhere here.

Given that you now have mid aero shield damage, it seems likely that the large puddle damaged your shield and also popped the aero covers. It takes a lot of water but definitely can happen.

It is not necessary to run over a branch to damage your composite. If you read this thread below, the summary is:

1) You'll probably find pictures that match the damage your car has.
2) The mid aero cover may have some design issues
3) There is a new revision of the part now.
4) Probably the aero cover damage should be covered by warranty.
5) It's not essential to fix the aero cover immediately, but you should do it soon, as it reduces the change of debris damaging the oil filter and other components that may be fragile.

Ripped Undercarriage Composite from the rain?

thanks all. Yes, I meant our ratty scraped up Aero covers. no reason to want them, someone just probably wanted to take them off to be mean. it was quite stormy here yesterday and they hit a patch of road that felt like hydroplaning but didn't notice anything else. but, on the way home, (it's a few miles to the gym each way) they heard a scraping sound and when they got out to check there is plastic or something hanging off the back middle underside of the car and the 3 aero caps were gone. So now they are thinking they ran something over like a big branch when they hydroplaned? that then caused the aero caps to pop off? I am doubtful about that but what a coinkydink that the poor car suffered all that at once.
I'm not surprised that people stole them just to be a jerk. This is why I don't use mine unless I'm going on a road trip.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Possibly a junkie trying to get some cash together for a fix, etc. Wouldn’t recommend shooting anyone since that’s considered deadly force unless they’re coming at you with a weapon. Then, yes you have a right to defend yourself.

Cuz there’s no penalty for crime here. That’s why people keep stealing. Yes. Shoot them! Then there’s better possibility of less crime.

I think it's pretty common for the water pressure to force the aero covers off, I read about it somewhere here.

Given that you now have mid aero shield damage, it seems likely that the large puddle damaged your shield and also popped the aero covers. It takes a lot of water but definitely can happen.

It is not necessary to run over a branch to damage your composite. If you read this thread below, the summary is:

1) You'll probably find pictures that match the damage your car has.
2) The mid aero cover may have some design issues
3) There is a new revision of the part now.
4) Probably the aero cover damage should be covered by warranty.
5) It's not essential to fix the aero cover immediately, but you should do it soon, as it reduces the change of debris damaging the oil filter and other components that may be fragile.

Ripped Undercarriage Composite from the rain?
Very helpful! Thank you so much. It just doesn't make sense for someone to take aero caps, like stealing someone's toupee - it's useless and not valuable to anyone else. Really appreciate the support though from this community though against any perpetrators who may have considered stealing crappy aero caps though. Makes me smile, you rock.

Your hubcaps weren’t stolen. I “lost” 3 hubcaps, too, but my neighbor found one on the side of our rural, one lane road. They FELL off. Now Tesla is saying it was a road hazard, not covered by their warranty. A road hazard? On both sides of the car? Give me a break. The hub caps come off in heavy rain and driving through puddles. Cheap, poorly designed part.
Grr. My husband and kids went to the gym for one hour tonight and just called to say someone stole 3 of the hubcaps (standard issue) off the car (got it March 2018). They were all scraped up from hitting the curbs while parking. Has this happened to anyone else? I assume I'll have to pay out of pocket to replace these? Also, is there any way to prevent this from happening again? Thanks for any thoughts.

Your hubcaps weren’t stolen. I “lost” 3 hubcaps, too, but my neighbor found one on the side of our rural, one lane road. They FELL off. Now Tesla is saying it was a road hazard, not covered by their warranty. A road hazard? On both sides of the car? Give me a break. The hub caps come off in heavy rain and driving through puddles. Cheap, poorly designed part.

At first I thought mines were stolen too, only 3 days after delivery, I came home at midnight after a one hour drive, plugged in on a public charger, but parked in the opposite direction so the distance between the charger and the car was minimal, and walked back home. I don't remember checking the right side of the car when walking away.

The next morning, I go get the car, and I see my aero wheel covers are gone on the right side. Left side they're still on... :eek::mad:

But, after reading these posts, I'm starting to believe no one in my neighbourhood would do that and they just fell off while driving, without me noticing...

I then took the other two off, and they were so easy to remove, with only one hand. I already called Tesla SeC and they ordered 2 and also a set of lug nut covers and center caps, but unfortunately in Belgium, Europe, they don't have them in stock.

After I bent one of mine I looked online and found a sketchy post. After a couple questions I asked what kind of car he had. He said, "It's a new Tesla without the badges". They were obviously stolen so I now have Trips and my phone scratched onto the inside of each. That will not prevent them for being stolen but might prevent them from being resold.

Grr. My husband and kids went to the gym for one hour tonight and just called to say someone stole 3 of the hubcaps (standard issue) off the car (got it March 2018). They were all scraped up from hitting the curbs while parking. Has this happened to anyone else? I assume I'll have to pay out of pocket to replace these? Also, is there any way to prevent this from happening again? Thanks for any thoughts.
CA is crazy - broken windows and now hub caps. I have never heard of a vandalized Tesla in MA

After I bent one of mine I looked online and found a sketchy post. After a couple questions I asked what kind of car he had. He said, "It's a new Tesla without the badges". They were obviously stolen so I now have Trips and my phone scratched onto the inside of each. That will not prevent them for being stolen but might prevent them from being resold.

The junky selling your stolen caps will just say his nickname is Trips because he trips a lot and the phone # is no longer his but some cranky guy claiming he gets ripped off a lot.

I stumbled on this thread after all 4 of my covers were stolen last week. Glad to hear that the OP probably wasn't a theft victim, but I just wanted to post so that people know that they do in fact get stolen on occasion.

The guy in the part department at the local service center who sold me the replacements ($100+tax for a set of 4 for the "old" covers) said that while it doesn't happen a lot, someone like me does come in every once in a while looking for replacements. And I'm guessing another chunk of people just decide to go without the covers after theirs are stolen.

Side note... and I would have laughed at this suggestion just a week ago, but now I'm considering using a tie strap to secure the covers to the rims to deter any future theft attempt. I found a way to do it in which the tie strap is pretty well hidden visually, and posted about it in this thread: Cable tying aero wheel covers