Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so I know there alot questions about HW3. What I have read so far, SC rarely email or text you regarding HW3 retrofit. Unless I am wrong! Look like whenever you bring your car in for service, then they will say your car is eligible. I am not in hurry anything. Just wondering.

My service center (Owings Mills, MD) emailed me to let me know that the retrofit was available and I should make an appointment to have it done. It's set for Feb 2.

My post HW 3.0 sentry mode problem persisted, in spite of reboot. Had 106 phantom events at work today and when I approached the car, I could see the HAL sentry mode screen flickering on, even from a distance, and without anyone near the car. Tried a complete power down tonight and will test again. If this doesn’t solve it, I guess it’s back to the SC :(

My post HW 3.0 sentry mode problem persisted, in spite of reboot. Had 106 phantom events at work today and when I approached the car, I could see the HAL sentry mode screen flickering on, even from a distance, and without anyone near the car. Tried a complete power down tonight and will test again. If this doesn’t solve it, I guess it’s back to the SC :(

I just had my retrofit completed (Milford, CT) and turned on Sentry last night from the app. Since then until I picked it up today my car had 39 sentry mode alerts. And it was sitting in the parking lot while Tesla was closed until about noon today. So worried I may have same issue. Let me know what you find out.

I just had my retrofit completed (Milford, CT) and turned on Sentry last night from the app. Since then until I picked it up today my car had 39 sentry mode alerts. And it was sitting in the parking lot while Tesla was closed until about noon today. So worried I may have same issue. Let me know what you find out.
Will do. Unfortunately, the earliest I can return is February 17, so I may just have to live with this for now. Thankfully, all the phantom events don’t seem to negatively drain my battery that much, but it makes reviewing the videos for true events, extremely difficult. For now, I’m only going to review the videos if I see visible damage on the car.

Hope yours turns out to just be Tesla employees (security guard, maybe?) walking past your car on the lot. If you watch your videos and don’t see any triggers, however, let us know, as this could indicate a more widespread problem.

Will do. Unfortunately, the earliest I can return is February 17, so I may just have to live with this for now. Thankfully, all the phantom events don’t seem to negatively drain my battery that much, but it makes reviewing the videos for true events, extremely difficult. For now, I’m only going to review the videos if I see visible damage on the car.

Hope yours turns out to just be Tesla employees (security guard, maybe?) walking past your car on the lot. If you watch your videos and don’t see any triggers, however, let us know, as this could indicate a more widespread problem.
Same story here

I've cracked the secret to getting the upgrade before you get the call. If you have a Model 3 with a sub-150k VIN and you've paid for FSD, chances are good that there is an internal service bulletin on your car for the upgrade. That said, calling and asking for it, or booking a service appt and asking for it won't work. You'll get auto-rejected by a rep who won't even check your VIN. To have them check for the service bulletin, you need to book an in-shop service appointment (mobile appointments won't work) for something unrelated. Ex: battery range concerns + motor efficiency issues, tire rotation, etc. While booking it, in the text box, also ask that they take care of any outstanding service bulletin's on your VIN. No need to mention HW3. The tech confirming your booking will check your VIN, confirm it's got the internal bulletin (which I'm pretty sure any vehicle in the mid 100k's at least right now should have), and will go ahead and confirm you for the upgrade on the earliest date that they can secure you one of the FSD computers at the service location (or the earliest date they can ship them one for you). They're trying to knock these out while they work on other issues with cars coming in anyway as a way to minimize service visits. They are calling some people (super early VINs, & Model S+X's), but if you don't want to wait for the call, this is the trick to getting it. Just remember... asking directly or booking a mobile serviceable issue won't work as that team won't check your service bulletins.

Got mine installed, along with the charging pin bulletin.

Took 3 days
Rolled my firmware back to 2019.32.2 + old maps :confused: haven't been able to see/use any FSD features. Requested new firmware in app, which they pushed within a few hours....

I had my car scheduled this morning to get my horn replaced - as it goes out every 4 months.

Anyway.....they asked me if I wanted my HW3 computer installed today. I said sure. They added 2.5 hours to the repair and its currently at the SC as I type.

I really really really really really hope HW3 doesn't cause any problems.

Exact situation here, have an appointment to fix my horn - 2nd time it has gone out, just makes a meep meep road runner sound now. Also requested HW3 upgrade and scheduled for 2/7. Now if I can only get rid of the rattles coming from what sounds like the rear doors....

Exact situation here, have an appointment to fix my horn - 2nd time it has gone out, just makes a meep meep road runner sound now. Also requested HW3 upgrade and scheduled for 2/7. Now if I can only get rid of the rattles coming from what sounds like the rear doors....

Very interesting. Yep - we have the exact same problem.

Good luck to you. I don't seem to be having it right now.

Dropped off at 8AM......

Its now 3PM. Still no call or anything.

I suppose I will have to go there because they aren't going to call me.

This is eerily familiar to what I ran into the last time I dropped off my 3 for a service appointment. I received no communication from service center staff about the status of my car and it took several calls to them before someone finally picked up. I didn't want to hold onto the ICE loaner they gave me for a second day so I ended up leaving work early so I could get to the service center in time before they closed. They really need to work on their communication when they're working on customer cars. Good luck Garlan!

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
Well.... As I mention earlier in this thread... I made a SC appointment for 1/29 to get new tires (fronts) / New wipers / address a ticking sound when the AC starts up / and a check of the range issue I have experienced since having the rear drive unit replaced...

I had also requested the retrofit to HW 3... I made this appointment about 14 days ago...

This morning, I got this from Tesla -

Good morning this is Tesla W.P.B, the part needed to address your concern will not arrive in time for your appointment. We will need to cancel your appointment and reschedule you once it comes in.

When I responded as to what part they were referring to and an estimate date to reschedule, I got no response...

So, I guess it could be anything..... But I wonder....