Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't see why the surprise. Tesla is so friggin' bad about proactively delivering stuff that's past due (whether it's entire cars, or parts), and their communication is awful. Who knows if/when they'd call. For example, he found out he was eligible, but they hadn't called.

I wonder... Let's say FSD fails to materialize, and Tesla issues refunds. If you've had HW3 installed post delivery, they've arguably given you something for your FSD $ and would be less inclined to refund it.

This is funny because there is not a chance they will ever refund FSD no matter what is actually delivered. They will just conveniently move the goal posts to make it sound like what was promised was delivered.

• Informative
Reactions: tezzla
This is funny because there is not a chance they will ever refund FSD no matter what is actually delivered. They will just conveniently move the goal posts to make it sound like what was promised was delivered.
Also, people that have M3’s with HW3 already i.e. purchased May 2019 or later would get it but 2.5 > 3.0 would not? I seriously doubt as Groovyd said, they would ever refund FSD.

My used 2018 I got from Tesla 2 months ago is schedule for Monday retrofit, I requested last week for HW3 upgrade in the app and same thing... mobile cancelled and rescheduled last week to a SC. We will see how the new Renton, WA sc handles the retrofit.

How do you move the goalposts to make it sound like what was promised was delivered on this statement by Tesla:
In the future, Model 3 will be capable of conducting trips with no action required by the person in the driver's seat.
Seems very clear cut to me.

How do you move the goalposts to make it sound like what was promised was delivered on this statement by Tesla:

Seems very clear cut to me.

Let's face it, people get old and have to stop driving. I'm not ready yet, but this was my full self driving car to prevent that situation. In my years on this earth, I have learned that people seem to find out "what they can get away with" and apparently, we've gone from full self driving to the car can drive itself, but a driver must be in control of the car. Sounds like swimming across the lake with one hand in the rowboat for security. Yes, the quote sounds very clear cut to me. I use AP (just got the 3.0 hardware) alot, but I "manage" the car. The "edge cases" seem to be the barrier to success.

Reactions: C141medic
Let's face it, people get old and have to stop driving. I'm not ready yet, but this was my full self driving car to prevent that situation. In my years on this earth, I have learned that people seem to find out "what they can get away with" and apparently, we've gone from full self driving to the car can drive itself, but a driver must be in control of the car. Sounds like swimming across the lake with one hand in the rowboat for security. Yes, the quote sounds very clear cut to me. I use AP (just got the 3.0 hardware) alot, but I "manage" the car. The "edge cases" seem to be the barrier to success.

Out of curiosity, any change to the AP nag time? Seems someone on reddit said the time between nags is greatly extended with HW3.

There’s also a big issue with blocked/blinded cameras and sensors in general. Every time I drive in snowy conditions I get an error message stating one or more camera is blocked, radar is blocked, etc. causing AP or even cruise control to disengage. I think there will be a lot conditional FSD situations. We’re far from a car being able to do cross-country trips by itself, even short trips without a lot of “yes but only if” environmental conditions.

My local service center has certainly changed a bunch since my last visit. When I first got my 3 almost two years ago they had three fully staffed desks in the service area. When I was here sometime last year they were down to two desks. Today with dropping off my car it’s just a single desk and they now have tablet kiosks to check your car in and out. No wonder you can’t reach anyone on the phone here, there really isn’t anyone available to answer the phones anymore.

Anyway, I am getting the FSD computer upgrade today along with my 2 year service. They have a bunch of other cars in queue ahead of me for repair so they said it might not be ready until Wednesday. However they are actually giving me a loaner, not Uber credits. Best of all it’s actually a Model S! I’ve never driven one before. All the previous times they’ve given me a loaner it’s been an ICE vehicle. Ir sucks that I have to wait until Wednesday potentially but I’m not as bothered by that with a Model S loaner.

C80A3BB8-5A0F-4FF3-A140-D5F5E551E4D2.jpeg

Attachments

• 78711716-D6AA-47F1-82D5-8DBE5EF1C242.jpeg
    78711716-D6AA-47F1-82D5-8DBE5EF1C242.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 60
  • Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
My local service center has certainly changed a bunch since my last visit. When I first got my 3 almost two years ago they had three fully staffed desks in the service area. When I was here sometime last year they were down to two desks. Today with dropping off my car it’s just a single desk and they now have tablet kiosks to check your car in and out. No wonder you can’t reach anyone on the phone here, there really isn’t anyone available to answer the phones anymore.

I'll find out next week if the SC close to me has decreased the service center staffing.....

Anyway, I am getting the FSD computer upgrade today along with my 2 year service. They have a bunch of other cars in queue ahead of me for repair so they said it might not be ready until Wednesday. However they are actually giving me a loaner, not Uber credits. Best of all it’s actually a Model S! I’ve never driven one before. All the previous times they’ve given me a loaner it’s been an ICE vehicle. Ir sucks that I have to wait until Wednesday potentially but I’m not as bothered by that with a Model S loaner.

View attachment 512045
Which SC is this?

View attachment 512045
Wow, all they need is a cardboard “bankwupt!” sign and some empty bottles of Teslaquila to complete the look! :p

Or maybe this is Tesla going full black mirror? Did the kiosks look like this?

89F7A6AC-2E04-4488-8DCD-F19E38FC93EA.png

Envious you got a model S loaner. My last two SC visits netted a Toyota Prius and a dodge minivan. I’m at the SC right now, trying to get my post HW 3.0 issues fixed. Fingers crossed.

My SC in Lyndhurst, Ohio was noticably less busy when I went there last week to get my HW3 upgrade. I mentioned this to the service manager, and he told me that Tesla had opened a new SC in Toledo. OH that was siphoning off Michagan customers (Tesla is not sold in Michigan). So in this case, at least, decreased staffing was because of additional Tesla service center. I have no idea how many other new service centers Tesla has opened. Hopefully, more, in order to shorten service wait times.

I don't understand why they make an appointment for a specific time, then when you drop it off they can't get to it for days. I understand they're busy, so don't show that as an open appointment time.

It's probably not so easy to determine how long a specific car will be in for service. New problems could be found during inspection that increases the amount of time it's in the shop. I also scheduled my service appointment 3 weeks ago so who knows what other repairs my local service center has had to deal with between then and today.

I don't really blame Tesla for delays such as this, at least not in my state. I blame NJ laws that still limit the amount of physical locations Tesla is allowed to operate. Even if NJ had 8 service centers instead of the current 4 it would not be enough for all of the Tesla cars I see driving around here these days.

• Disagree
Did the kiosks look like this?

Here’s a closer shot of the check-in kiosks. I had to enter in my name and the last 6 digits of my VIN. Then I waited a few minutes until a service advisor came over and reviewed all of the stuff they’ll be doing. I was fully prepared to suffer with Uber credits instead of a loaner. The Model S was a welcome surprise to me. I likely only got a loaner since they didn’t expect my car to be done the same day.

2E5D66F1-0F7B-4B5E-9143-84E675CDDB12.jpeg

• Disagree
Here’s a closer shot of the check-in kiosks. I had to enter in my name and the last 6 digits of my VIN. Then I waited a few minutes until a service advisor came over and reviewed all of the stuff they’ll be doing. I was fully prepared to suffer with Uber credits instead of a loaner. The Model S was a welcome surprise to me. I likely only got a loaner since they didn’t expect my car to be done the same day.

View attachment 512161
Guess today was our lucky day. I got a P85D loaner. Nice car but it’s seen better days. Paint is super neglected. I’m fighting the urge to clay bar it, lol.

Well we got our car back today after 6 days of waiting. We did lost all of our setting. But oh well spouse is happy now. Finally can see everything my car can see lol. Some how it feel brand new again. As they went thru the setup process again.