Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 in 2018 or wait until early 2019 for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All Tesla customers will get first shot at a model Y. There will be many more in the family in two years. So I think expecting to have a model Y before 2020 is questionable.

If they build the Y in Fremont it will share production with the 3. So Y production volumes will not be like the 3 launch. If they are building the Y in a new factory, they have 29 months to make that happen for DEC 2019. That is not going to happen.

Reactions: alseTrick
Yeah, Tesla has too many pressing issues to count on a Y by early 2019. Could happen if Musk keeps his cowbell in check and everything else goes exactly as planned...but neither of those seem very likely.

Plus, who knows? You may be surprised by a design decision and not like the Y, as many didn't like that the first X didn't have a folding second row, the 3 is not a hatchback, etc.

I mean, sure, if the 3/S/X don't meet your needs, you should wait. But if you can make one work, I am not sure if you will end up happy that you waited for something slightly better.

But hey, predicting the future is hard.

Reactions: alseTrick
I would probably go with the Y, rather than an earlier 3, especially if it is about two or three years from now. Timing would be really good for us then.

Haha. Uhhh. You'll just have to wait for the Y like you're already waiting for the 3. They'll likely have hundreds of thousands of reservations for the Y also. And they'll likely delay international vehicle sales until after a significant number of US sales like they're doing with the 3.

If you want to wait 4-5 years for the Y instead of another 1-2 for the 3, go for it.

Not to mention, does Tesla even know where they will manufacture the Y? Is it going to be in Fremont or a yet-to-be-named-or-purchased second vehicle factory? If it's a "new" factory, that will take time on top of the already expected production line setup time. Even if it's part of the Fremont expansion, that will also take time.

Things to consider.

Elon says Model Y is now going to be based off of the Model 3 platform to bring it to market faster, likely early 2019.

How many are now gonna cancel M3 reservation and wait for the Y?

I'm thinking about it.

Eh, Elon time. He sets extremely aggressive goals to get his people to push for the max. Often times they aren't realistic, but it's amazing what they achieve despite that. I just hope he doesn't burn through too much talent too quickly.

Haha. Uhhh. You'll just have to wait for the Y like you're already waiting for the 3. They'll likely have hundreds of thousands of reservations for the Y also. And they'll likely delay international vehicle sales until after a significant number of US sales like they're doing with the 3.

If you want to wait 4-5 years for the Y instead of another 1-2 for the 3, go for it.

Not to mention, does Tesla even know where they will manufacture the Y? Is it going to be in Fremont or a yet-to-be-named-or-purchased second vehicle factory? If it's a "new" factory, that will take time on top of the already expected production line setup time. Even if it's part of the Fremont expansion, that will also take time.

Things to consider.
Thing is .... I already have an S so the wait would not be like for someone still iceing around. Poor slobs. But the timing would be right, because we would be replacing my wife's car, and she is the one who likes SUVs. Right now we have a new Volt for her. Me, I'm stuck with the Tesla :D

• Funny
Reactions: calisnow
Thing is .... I already have an S so the wait would not be like for someone still iceing around. Poor slobs. But the timing would be right, because we would be replacing my wife's car, and she is the one who likes SUVs. Right now we have a new Volt for her. Me, I'm stuck with the Tesla :D

giphy.webp

Watch yourself. (You would *never* think I was a Model 3 reservee by what I currently drive. It is an absolute POS and I hate it every day.)

Wouldn't you still be behind all US Tesla owners and many US non-Tesla owners that want high-specked models?

Last edited:
Elon says Model Y is now going to be based off of the Model 3 platform to bring it to market faster,
likely early 2019. How many are now gonna cancel M3 reservation and wait for the Y?
I'm thinking about it.

Easy answer: The Model 3 Trunk is not practical. Difficult to load bicycle, stroller, big boxes...

Tesla-Model-3-trunk-space.jpg

See in comparison the Model S (and probably Model Y) Trunk:

2013-Tesla-Model-S-Trunk-1.jpg

vaebz.jpg