Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 interior easily hot and stuffy (white on white)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can also set the Cabin Overheat Protection controls to have fresh air via fan come into the car should you not want to run the A/C unit and conserve energy instead, although the interior temp likely will exceed 105F. The A/C On will maintain the temp to a max of 105F. Cabin Overheat Protection needs to run on a battery level above 20%.

Reactions: CrazyM3
It's about 79 degree outside and I turned on cabin overheat protection (no ac) and it is still at alarming 121 degree after one hour.

IF you have it set as you do "No A/C" then the 105 degree is not adhered to by the system. If you read the notes provided in the information icon next to the option ...

Cabin overheat protection is not for keeping your car cool and comfy awaiting your return. It is meant to protect the important electronics of the vehicle.

The only way to have the car cool and not stuffy when you return is to use the app to turn on the climate control as you are walking to your car or turn it on as you are walking away from the car so it is on the whole time. The later is needed for those 100+degree weather we are having in Florida.

Also white on white, and it is very hot where I live. I just ordered this "SUMK Model 3 Glass Roof Sunshade Sunroof Sunshade Compatible for Tesla Model 3 (Roof)" - Overnight delivery from Amazon. Its for both top glass sections - very good reviews, fraction of the cost for the Tesla accessory version (sold out).

I know that the glass is supposed to filter out some of the heat, but the top of my head gets pretty hot. I will give this a shot and report back. Check out the reviews/photos.

Reactions: Richt and SoManyM3s
Also white on white, and it is very hot where I live. I just ordered this "SUMK Model 3 Glass Roof Sunshade Sunroof Sunshade Compatible for Tesla Model 3 (Roof)" - Overnight delivery from Amazon. Its for both top glass sections - very good reviews, fraction of the cost for the Tesla accessory version (sold out).

I know that the glass is supposed to filter out some of the heat, but the top of my head gets pretty hot. I will give this a shot and report back. Check out the reviews/photos.
I would have guess that white seats would be less hot since it would reflect the light. Is it really hotter than black seats?

I recommend you research ceramic window tint. I have had it on all of my cars here in South Florida and it make the world of difference. It usually costs more, but it's well worth it. I used to feel my arm baking from the sun through the window on my way to work. Now, in direct sunlight through the glass, I don't feel any heat. Furthermore, the windshield has clear ceramic and blocks out the same heat feeling. Over time, the car does get warm..but it takes longer and never gets overwhelmingly hot.

It's about 79 degree outside and I turned on cabin overheat protection (no ac) and it is still at alarming 121 degree after one hour.

Every other car you parked in the sun did this too... you just did not have an app to quickly look at it and see a value for how hot it was (and you likely could not turn on AC remotely (unless you had another EV or Hybrid before).

I'm looking to get this, or something similar. How is it? I'd prefer something completely opaque, but everything on the market right now seems to be mesh.

Living in Florida with a black interior, I can relate that the Tesla sunshade for the pano roof makes a big difference.

• Helpful
Reactions: Richt and alexGS
Last week, I had the chance to test how quickly the temperature rises in our Model 3 with white interior. I brought the cabin temperature to 72 degrees and then shut off the AC while the car was in full sunlight (80 degree weather) and sitting on black asphalt. In just 6 minutes the cabin got back to 110 degrees and in 10 mins was already at 115. I decided against running the AC to conserve energy while away from the car until the last five minutes of our approach.

Cabin overheat protection is convenient, but from an energy savings perspective it makes more sense to cover your windows or park in the shade. The trouble with these vehicles is the sheer surface area of glass. While driving under intense sun, I can definitely feel the heat in the cabin - especially within a few inches of the upper glass components. I have a tendency to wear a hat while driving which helps a bit.