Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 inventories up -- any deals happening?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder if there is any anticipation of having to shut down for a while, maybe sitting on stock hoping for retail later vs discounting now and losing some margin? Seems with this thing going around a bad quarter is to be 'expected'. I could use something to push me over the edge, but I don't mind waiting a few months too....
Exactly where I am sitting.

Reactions: E Dizzle
Don't count on any incentives to clear inventory because the Fremont plant is shutting down.

From the WSJ: "On Tuesday, local authorities told Tesla Inc. that it must stop production at its Fremont, Calif., factory as part of an order by Alameda County to have people shelter at their homes to prevent the spread of coronavirus."

So get them while you can. I suspect used prices will actually shoot up in the short term.

So get them while you can. I suspect used prices will actually shoot up in the short term.

Anything is possible. But I have never seen available 3 inventory look like this, and I've been looking since the beginning. There are a few people in the 'delaying' thread that are just not taking their cars. I don't think people are lining up to buy 60k cars right now (I'm looking for a P3). This has to be a totally new situation, who knows how anyone will react.

Reactions: m3pca
No company is completely immune to market forces. If more and more people become concerned about the economy, they'll likely defer purchases of durable goods including cars, and prices could soften. This is particularly true if demand falls off quicker than supply. But Tesla, like any manufacturer, has certain fixed obligations that must be satisfied with cash flow, irrespective of any constraints in supply.

My local dealer had zero performance 3's in stock and now they have almost a dozen. I'm moving my scheduled pick-up to today or tomorrow from the original date next week. Wheee!

I'm seeing the same here in PA. I almost pulled the trigger on a P3 as well, but was waiting to see what the model Y sales did to the 3 in terms of incentives. Looks like this virus may lead to incentives instead. Time will tell though...

I'm seeing the same here in PA. I almost pulled the trigger on a P3 as well, but was waiting to see what the model Y sales did to the 3 in terms of incentives. Looks like this virus may lead to incentives instead. Time will tell though...

I would be surprised if there are incentives. They have a pretty good track record of selling every car they produce. I suspect any "extra" inventory is going to be snapped up, especially if the Freemont plant is forced to shut down operations. We'll see. People are eventually going to get over the irrational panic and resume their lives.

Keep in mind....during a zombie apocalypse, you won't be able to refine your own gas, but if you've got solar power, you're still good to drive the deserted roads in an EV. :)

Best,

Last edited:
For those all of sudden seeing inventory ; that is what happens every single quarter end.
They have no inventory early in the quarter because they are making cars for Europe then.

Last month of quarter they fulfill the orders from Jan-Feb and then produce extra to sell in an end of quarter push so the dealers all of sudden magically get stock.
Have seen it every single quarter end. They are batch made which is why you might see a bunch of P+ in blue and no other color.

No doubt the Virus will cause a large number of declined last minute deliveries but given the factory is running at very reduced capacity I think one factor will cancel out the other and there will be enough buyers this quarter that the reduced supply will meet the reduced demand.

Next quarter if things don't improve that could change but would also require the factory to get back to fully operational which may not happen. Predicting anything months out right now is impossible.

My opinion remains: no deals on New (non-demo) 2020 cars
If you refuse to not buy without a deal circle back mid-June, maybe things will be different.
Telsa only cares about sales quarterly so April and May don't matter for US sales.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx
In my entire life I have never experienced a pandemic so serious that it shut down schools, stores, businesses, health clubs, and virtually all non-essential services. I have absolutely no idea how this will play out with Tesla vehicle inventory and pricing. But I would be willing to be that everything we know about how Tesla has done business in the past is no longer relevant to the near future.

In my entire life I have never experienced a pandemic so serious that it shut down schools, stores, businesses, health clubs, and virtually all non-essential services. I have absolutely no idea how this will play out with Tesla vehicle inventory and pricing. But I would be willing to be that everything we know about how Tesla has done business in the past is no longer relevant to the near future.

Let's put things into perspective. We first heard about this in late December. So China has been dealing with this for 3-4 months. Their cases (if their numbers are to be believed) have peaked at just over 80 thousand people. That's in a country of over a billion people. I have lived and worked in China. In spite of all the "lockdown" claims, the "social distancing" being practiced here is simply not achievable in their densely populated urban centers. Total deaths (again, if you believe their numbers) are 3-4 THOUSAND.

Here in the US, I believe we are now up to about 11 THOUSAND cases. Deaths are currently in the hundreds.

Tragic, to be sure, but the completely asymmetric response and hysteria/panic don't fit "the crime".

So I will take sensible precautions, but I'm not going to dramatically alter my lifestyle. In another month or so, we'll have a better sense of context to see if the disruption of the global economy was "worth it." We'll see.

Live data for cases/deaths/recoveries here: Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

Edit: Wow, this is quite off topic. If anyone wants to debate this, please hit me with a private message so we don't spill off into the weeds here. :)

Best,

Last edited:
For those all of sudden seeing inventory ; that is what happens every single quarter end.
They have no inventory early in the quarter because they are making cars for Europe then.

While I agree with the reasoning, the numbers are just on another scale. I have never seen 2500+ 3s available. Maybe the inside numbers that sales can see have always reflected that but to us on the outside it appears drastically different.