Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 is getting pedestrian warning noises (AVAS)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I note that pedestrian warning sound documented in NA version of 2018.36.x manual but not in Eur version

SharedScreenshot.png

Fingers crossed that mine won't have been manufactured after 1st September, then, as I don't like the idea of having this noise always active.

It's a real shame that the UK/EU regulations don't allow this noise to be turned off. I quite like the idea of being able to turn the noise maker on when needed, such as in a supermarket car park, but don't like the idea of disturbing the peace and quite here if I leave home early, or arrive home very late at night.

Reactions: pow216
I decided better to resurrect an old thread than start another. My model 3 was delivered end of Sep 2019, without the noise generator. I'm one of those oddballs that would quite like it, quite a few times I've been creeping along behind pedestrians for a while until something finally clues them in to my presence. Nice day, thought I'd take a look and sure enough the loom connection is there, but not the speaker. I had a speaker and tried it on the two wires, works without issue although very quiet, I suspect the speaker I had was too high impedance. I've seen on another forum a 25W 4Ohm speaker is needed. Before I start trawling for something, does anyone:

1) Have a Tesla original speaker they want to get rid of, happy to pay a fair price for it or
2) Sourced a waterproof speaker themselves for the same reason, did it work out and where did you get it?

Thanks.

I decided better to resurrect an old thread than start another. My model 3 was delivered end of Sep 2019, without the noise generator. I'm one of those oddballs that would quite like it, quite a few times I've been creeping along behind pedestrians for a while until something finally clues them in to my presence. Nice day, thought I'd take a look and sure enough the loom connection is there, but not the speaker. I had a speaker and tried it on the two wires, works without issue although very quiet, I suspect the speaker I had was too high impedance. I've seen on another forum a 25W 4Ohm speaker is needed. Before I start trawling for something, does anyone:

1) Have a Tesla original speaker they want to get rid of, happy to pay a fair price for it or
2) Sourced a waterproof speaker themselves for the same reason, did it work out and where did you get it?

Thanks.
I usually wind the window down a shout "excuse me please" with them usually turning around and looking shocked seeing a car behind them :)

It very rare that I do this

• Funny
Reactions: Medved_77

Thanks.
Interesting. I’d quite like it too. I assume by the time they introduce this in the UK cars they will have to add a software switch to allow it to be turned off. That’s a legal requirement in the UK. My previous two EVs both had the noise, and both had a physical switch to turn it off if needed. The switch reset in Park. Tesla will do this in software.

I'm afraid I don’t know of a suitable speaker, so let us know if you find anything suitable.

Reactions: mpandrew
Interesting. I’d quite like it too. I assume by the time they introduce this in the UK cars they will have to add a software switch to allow it to be turned off. That’s a legal requirement in the UK. My previous two EVs both had the noise, and both had a physical switch to turn it off if needed. The switch reset in Park. Tesla will do this in software.

I'm afraid I don’t know of a suitable speaker, so let us know if you find anything suitable.
This ok Roy? Just keep it in the passenger footwell :p

81zW27+C2DL._SX522_.jpg

If you could choose your engine noise, what would you select? Sports car? New (eg Ferrari) or old (eg 3 litre Bentley)? Realistic modern car or an old banger? Would you want a steady noisy, or one with gear shifts as your speed increases or decreases? Endless possibilities!

Bearing in mind I almost got run over by a petrol car in Tesco's car park the other week (because I couldn't hear it/didn't notice it), I'd go for that sound!

Reactions: Roy W.
For anyone still interested, using a waterproof 9cm 4ohm 25W speaker the result was wholly disappointing, not a sound (at least from the driver seat windows down, speaker next to front offside wheel). I double checked with an older different speaker I used first time. It does still produce the sounds but quietly, nothing like you hear on the Youtube vids showing it operating. I haven't checked but think the speaker is likely to be a higher impedance which I've now learnt should actually be louder than lower impedance types. It seems unlikely that there is a software toggle somewhere in the system software, I would expect that to be either on or off, not on or very quiet. I wondered if the OEM speaker is in someway powered so locally amplified and the connection I found is simply the input rather than a fully driver speaker output. Anyone seen anything about additional connections to the factory fit noisemaker - or perhaps wants to take a look? It's ever so easy, just three push clips in the wheel arch :p

For anyone still interested, using a waterproof 9cm 4ohm 25W speaker the result was wholly disappointing, not a sound (at least from the driver seat windows down, speaker next to front offside wheel). I double checked with an older different speaker I used first time. It does still produce the sounds but quietly, nothing like you hear on the Youtube vids showing it operating. I haven't checked but think the speaker is likely to be a higher impedance which I've now learnt should actually be louder than lower impedance types. It seems unlikely that there is a software toggle somewhere in the system software, I would expect that to be either on or off, not on or very quiet. I wondered if the OEM speaker is in someway powered so locally amplified and the connection I found is simply the input rather than a fully driver speaker output. Anyone seen anything about additional connections to the factory fit noisemaker - or perhaps wants to take a look? It's ever so easy, just three push clips in the wheel arch :p
Not sure of this'll help to show how the cables look if factory fitted?

Installing the PWS Isolation Kit

Why would anyone go out of their way to get it working? It sounds so lame.

There’s plenty of EVs and even small engine ICE cars out there that are to all intents and proposes silent at low speeds, and they’re going to continue to exist, terrorising pedestrians with headphones in, etc.

Reactions: Gatsojon