Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 is getting pedestrian warning noises (AVAS)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
interesting tweet here from a tesla service tech, saying they would need to push a reinstall of the firmware for the speaker to be activated - i.e. boombox is enabled during install of the firmware if it detects a speaker.

https://twitter.com/tesla_master/status/1343207431464050688?s=21

9A49B41B-5626-4C79-8E4E-4C5ECECFCA71.jpeg

My software update finally arrived during the night (must be the mince pies i left out) so i re-booted the car to make sure the pws sounds were working and then installed the new software.

I let the car sleep and it was back to square one with no sounds, a re-boot as before brings them back. Back to the drawing board.

My software update finally arrived during the night (must be the mince pies i left out) so i re-booted the car to make sure the pws sounds were working and then installed the new software.

I let the car sleep and it was back to square one with no sounds, a re-boot as before brings them back. Back to the drawing board.

I'm guessing the boom box is still greyed out for you even with the reboot?

I suspect it gets installed as an optional package during the update hence the response from tesla above. There's no way at the customer end to force a reinstall as far as I can tell.

Until the bits to do it properly arrive I rigged up a speaker with some parts I had lying around (bell wire and completely the wrong impedance speaker.. which surprisingly still worked).. the noise isn't as nearly unpleasant as I thought it would be (coming from the leaf, that sounded like a failing analogue TV), I might leave it on.

That's just an automatic copy/paste of the EU law into UK law, as is. It becomes active after 31/12.

To make any sense of it you have to go to the original document. Laws are a bit annoying like that, expressed entirely as diffs..

TBH based on the AVAS that I've heard from various manufacturers, nobody is taking the 'should sound like an engine' bit seriously.

I found the connector on mine, with some hints from Facebook..it was taped up really high up, about as far as my arm could reach.

Now to find a compatible plug.
Farnell part numbers:
2 x 3226658 (Crimp)
1 x 2575768 (Housing)

Definitely correct items, I'm using them now! It's great to have a few others along for the ride trying to get this to work. I see quite a bit of interest on Twitter and US forums about retrofitting, a few US owners even booking into service centers to have it installed. Be interesting to watch and see if they figure out how to make it switch on permanently. Wanted: Model 3/Y pedestrian warning speaker

TBH based on the AVAS that I've heard from various manufacturers, nobody is taking the 'should sound like an engine' bit seriously.

I imagine they will get serious if people start being silly with it.

Same with the horn sounds, if it's something stupid that causes a safety issue it will get looked into. MOT failure as well.

Farnell part numbers:
2 x 3226658 (Crimp)
1 x 2575768 (Housing)

Definitely correct items, I'm using them now! It's great to have a few others along for the ride trying to get this to work. I see quite a bit of interest on Twitter and US forums about retrofitting, a few US owners even booking into service centers to have it installed. Be interesting to watch and see if they figure out how to make it switch on permanently. Wanted: Model 3/Y pedestrian warning speaker

Ouch. £1.14 for the parts and £9.99 for the handling charge, plus VAT. I'll hold off.. really needs someone to do a bulk buy to make it worth it.

Also, I need to create yet another farnell account as they've locked it again..

btw. There was a post on facebook that a hungarian site had managed to unlock boombox without going back to Tesla. I'm sceptical - and they may have used the diagnostic port to put it into debug mode or something (which doesn't scale even slightly as a means to do this).

Edit: Found the parts on RS.

909-7781 and 909-7766

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Arran
Ouch. £1.14 for the parts and £9.99 for the handling charge, plus VAT. I'll hold off.. really needs someone to do a bulk buy to make it worth it.

Also, I need to create yet another farnell account as they've locked it again..

btw. There was a post on facebook that a hungarian site had managed to unlock boombox without going back to Tesla. I'm sceptical - and they may have used the diagnostic port to put it into debug mode or something (which doesn't scale even slightly as a means to do this).

Edit: Found the parts on RS.

909-7781 and 909-7766

Do you have a link to the Hungarian site at all, would be interested to see if there's been any developments for us being able to force a software re-install for Boombox without going to the SC