Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 is Officially Model Ξ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tesla-model-3-invite.png

New How long before Ford sues over "Model E"?

I do believe this is why it became Model 3 in the first place.

*edit* from the article

The name stuck for a while, but during the shareholders meeting in July 2014, Tesla CEO Elon Musk revealed that the company had to drop its “Model E” trademark after Ford threatened to sue over having a similar naming scheme. At the time, Musk said that “Ford tried to kill sex.”

I do believe this is why it became Model 3 in the first place.

*edit* from the article
Yep, and I believe if Tesla puts Model Ξ on the back, Ford will simply say -
Look at the back of the car, where it says TΞSLA. Obviously, the Ξ is not a "3" but an "E" in Tesla's font. The logo "Model Ξ" clearly is intended to mean "Model E", not "Model 3", and is a clear violation of our trademark.

As a shareholder, it's a bit annoying to see them do something that is just asking Ford to sue them, IMHO. Maybe the legal staff is bored these days. :confused:

I'm going to rain on this parade because to me, that DOES demonstrate that Tesla Motors considers the three stylized horizontal lines as its new vehicle's LOGO but, just as the logo for an iconic Ford Motors sporty car is a galloping horse - and further examples are endless - that vehicle's OFFICIAL NAME is "Mustang". likewise, the official name for TM's new automobile will be, as they have provided again and again, "Model 3".

We are, thank heavens, not yet in an era where everyone can put down some stars-&-moon-& pile-of-dirt on a piece of paper and say "That's my name".