Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As it seems the model S is relatively easy to steal due by faking the fob, is the same issue now present in the M3?

If so, is it present even if you don’t get a fob? As in... we all got the software update to be able to use fob, so could someone just fake being the fob with my car’s credentials on it, even though I never got a fob myself?

Since M3 lacks a pin code, has this just become the world’s easiest car to steal?

My perfect solution...take note Tesla:

In order to allow passive entry (which apparently is battery hungry), the FOB version 2.0 should have a rechargeable lithium battery that gives a week of charge along with a wireless charging pad that you set it on when you get home to top up the charge. It could still include the RFID feature so that it's usable like the keycard to unlock and drive the car.

A wireless charging pad would be really nice because it forces you to put your fob in the same place every day so you don't lose it.

As for "wireless charging pad" it could be metal contacts like a dock as far as I'm concerned.

Also, the lithium battery should be "full" at 80% Voltage so that the battery doesn't die from sitting on the charger pad at 100% for 16 hours per day.
How does my other car’s fob work for years on the passive entry, is this”lost science” enabling it? PS those batteries last years without charging or changing...

How does my other car’s fob work for years on the passive entry, is this”lost science” enabling it? PS those batteries last years without charging or changing...

They're likely using an RF signal, not bluetooth.

My lexus had a keycard with a battery in it, you'd need to replace every 2 years or so, could still work with a dead battery via induction to start the car, and it gave me passive entry, never needed to come out of your pocket besides changing batteries, and was awesome. But it used RF to do it.

The Model 3 doesn't have an RF transmitter or receiver in it so they can't do that.

Hopefully Tesla eventually implement a feature to leave the car unlocked when it is home... much more convenient for those of us who park our cars in garages.

In the interim you can go into the app and unlock the car after it has locked itself when you walk away with your phone... it should remain unlocked until the next time it auto-locks.
It is getting maddening especially when I unlock with the phone, and I (or my spouse!) walks back to the car with the phone and it auto-locks again. I haven't had the Model 3 very long to figure this out. I might go as far as stashing a spare phone in the garage to keep the car unlocked.

It is getting maddening especially when I unlock with the phone, and I (or my spouse!) walks back to the car with the phone and it auto-locks again. I haven't had the Model 3 very long to figure this out. I might go as far as stashing a spare phone in the garage to keep the car unlocked.

It really shouldn't be that hard to geo fence the car so that it's not locked when it's home. It could even have a big icon on the display that tells you it thinks it's home and it is not locking so you could override it if necessary.

They could even use signal strength of the home WiFi to help figure this out.

It really shouldn't be that hard to geo fence the car so that it's not locked when it's home. It could even have a big icon on the display that tells you it thinks it's home and it is not locking so you could override it if necessary.

QR code stuck to the garage door... :)

Edit to add: Inside garage door...

View attachment 351120
Opens the car when you walk up to it passively, locks it when walking away, selectively opens trunk or just the doors, two included, with $60,000 car, what gives Elon? Though it is ICE...
I’ll save that $150 for a new phone.

The problem is that a new phone might not fix it.

If this is for summon where’s the control, one push=open, two pushes=closed, how to direct summon=push bumper or fender you want to crash test?

The way summon works on S/X fobs if memory serves is press and release and then press and hold in on the frunk button for forward, or trunk button for reverse

• Helpful
Reactions: Dmagyar
What the hell kind of pants are you buying that cost $150?
Oh no....that would be 5 pair of pants. lol

m_5b960280c2e9fe280ea9b274.jpg

now that we know we're stuck with phone key for passive entry for the foreseeable future, it's time to start looking at tasker to figure out a way to make this work more reliably. i know there have been some profiles out there, but none worked 100% of the time...

at the very least, i think it's time to re-enable my "lock the car when bluetooth disconnects and i'm not at home" profile to make sure walk away lock always works.

The Model 3 is my third Tesla. I have been driving and advocating for Tesla since 2013. I bought the M3 to replace my wife's 2011 LEAF and took delivery in December 2017. The phone as key option has never worked reliably for her (Galaxy 5) and she is seriously fed up with the car. It works with my Galaxy 7 about 90% of the time. Multiple visits to the Service Center with no success though the Galaxy 5 supports the correct bluetooth version. Given the multitude of phones and implementations of bluetooth this has been a major design fail. Clearly, Tesla did not adequately test this function on a wide range of phones. I was told early on that Tesla would provide a fob at no cost when they were available. Now it appears that the fob, which should always have been available, will cost $150 and will not support essential functions of hands free unlocking and locking based on proximity, or summon. This is a major fail. At the least Tesla should have informed us that we may need to purchase newer phones to operate the car. We are very environmentally conscious and my wife refuses to replace a perfectly functioning phone because of Tesla's lack of testing. As a long time Tesla advocate and TSLA owner I have accepted reduced customer service as the user base grew; however, I now find myself reassessing my enthusiasm for Tesla. I have in the past spent countless hours at various car shows displaying my Teslas, especially the M3 in the early days, and sharing my experience driving electric. I am truly and advocate of electric cars and really want Tesla to succeed, This bump in the road is only going to anger more and more people. We early adopters have been extremely tolerant of quirky design choices, always confident that they would be address, and thy always have been. I doubt that new buyers who are not hard core EV advocates will be as tolerant. Hopefully this fob issue will be addressed as other issues have been in the past.

No passive entry makes sense to me - interaction between phone-keys and passive-entry fobs in the same location seems like it could get messy.

The burning questions I have are, in order of importance:

1) If I lock the car using the fob with the phone inside, can/will it remain locked if the handle is pressed, without changing phone-key or bluetooth settings?

2) If the car is unlocked and driven using the fob, will walk-away lock (when phone leaves proximity) still work?

3) If a long-press opens the charge port, does a long-press also unlock the charge port if it is already open and charging?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Reactions: Pueo
No passive entry makes sense to me - interaction between phone-keys and passive-entry fobs in the same location seems like it could get messy.

The burning questions I have are, in order of importance:

1) If I lock the car using the fob with the phone inside, can/will it remain locked if the handle is pressed, without changing phone-key or bluetooth settings?

2) If the car is unlocked and driven using the fob, will walk-away lock (when phone leaves proximity) still work?

3) If a long-press opens the charge port, does a long-press also unlock the charge port if it is already open and charging?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Use your card in place of the fob and see what happens.

To keep your car unlocked while in the garage, you can create a new driver profile name it "garage" or something, then disable walk away lock in that profile. You can select that profile when you're parked in the garage so it will never lock, then change to your profile when you drive.