Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which is the entire problem with Tesla’s app based method. They would have to release a list of officially supported phones so we would know which phone to buy. My Galaxy S8 works most of the time, but misses often enough to be annoying. Maybe if Tesla had said the Note 8 vs the Galaxy 8 is the supported phone, I would go buy a Note 8 instead.

Ok...so. the app based ( GSM CELLULAR ) portion my Tesla experience is separate from my "phone as a key" ( BLUETOOTH) experience.

Although they have been both flawless in my case......they are distinctively different technologies.

Fobs are sold out. I was scolded by wife for not ordering until I mentioned the fobs do not currently behave like the Model S we have on loan.

I have been distracted with growing pains of “not having iPhone X on my person at all times.” This relates to loading/unloading the car at home. Kids sat idly in front of off TV saying they can get in the car to complete their chores because I walked into house with phone.

I was hoping a key fob will help with this. Instead of a key fob, this scenario can be remedied via a software update perhaps.

Fobs are sold out. I was scolded by wife for not ordering until I mentioned the fobs do not currently behave like the Model S we have on loan.

I have been distracted with growing pains of “not having iPhone X on my person at all times.” This relates to loading/unloading the car at home. Kids sat idly in front of off TV saying they can get in the car to complete their chores because I walked into house with phone.

I was hoping a key fob will help with this. Instead of a key fob, this scenario can be remedied via a software update perhaps.

Being scolded by wife is NOT tesla's fault. lol

Ok...so. the app based ( GSM CELLULAR ) portion my Tesla experience is separate from my "phone as a key" ( BLUETOOTH) experience.

Although they have been both flawless in my case......they are distinctively different technologies.
I wish they used CDMA cellular networks (Verizon for example). I can’t even get a uninterrupted AM radio streamed on a major artery that runs behind the Fremont factory. Model 3 LTE connectivity may explain earnings uptick in AT&T subscriptions. Does anyone know if the Model 3 compatible with other cellular networks?

This is an interesting note, does this mean it won't unlock based on proximity?

Note: Does not support passive entry. Review Owner’s Manual for additional information.
Yeah that sucks

I'm likely in the minority but I actually like the fact that the key fob is not passive; I have a perfectly fine phone for that.. but for the time the key fob is being used, it not only isn't a big deal to click to open but it's now more deterministic what is gonna happen

Our garage is "too close" to our kitchen and I can sometimes hear the car locking/unlocking as my phone gets too near.. firstworld problem I know, but I think I can manage to click a button when I've made the choice not to have my phone around

Curious how long it will take to get here ...

Reactions: xilex
I wish they used CDMA cellular networks (Verizon for example). I can’t even get a uninterrupted AM radio streamed on a major artery that runs behind the Fremont factory. Model 3 LTE connectivity may explain earnings uptick in AT&T subscriptions. Does anyone know if the Model 3 compatible with other cellular networks?
So wait a min....

We are talking about the "app" that controls the car via GSM. not radio...etc.

ALL phones should work with the app. It doesn't matter what carrier you have for the app to work.

I'm likely in the minority but I actually like the fact that the key fob is not passive; I have a perfectly fine phone for that.. but for the time the key fob is being used, it not only isn't a big deal to click to open but it's now more deterministic what is gonna happen

Our garage is "too close" to our kitchen and I can sometimes hear the car locking/unlocking as my phone gets too near.. firstworld problem I know, but I think I can manage to click a button when I've made the choice not to have my phone around

Wait a min. My car does not automatically unlock when I get close to it with my phone.

My car only unlocks when I open a door.

If my car is locked....it doesn't even unlock when I open the trunk using my phones' proximity .

Reactions: Hans L and noicepls

Are you talking about Model S or X? Because currently, for Model 3, even if the keyfob has passive unlock/lock, it would not unlock/lock the car unless you pull the door handle. So a passive M3 keyfob is actually a step above the MS and MX. Yeah for MS and MX, the mirrors will start unfolding when you get too close in the house, but not for the M3.

But without passive, the M3 keyfob is almost exactly the same as the keycard. If you are unlocking the car, you need to get close to it, so you might as well touch the card on the B-pillar. If you are locking the car, you are already at the car. You could also touch the B-pillar with the card. Pretty much the only thing the keyfob has over the keycard is that it is easy to open the frunk. So really it is a $150 frunk opening remote! :p

Verizon is in the process of retiring its old CDMA network is is now using LTE like the rest of the world.

• Informative
Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Wait a min. My car does not automatically unlock when I get close to it with my phone.

My car only unlocks when I open a door.

If my car is locked....it doesn't even unlock when I open the trunk using my phones' proximity .

Maybe it's not unlocking but it is doing something cause I hear it.. What's it doing?

edit

Folks in the model 3 forum suspect it is the car waking up ie contactors closing (duh), maybe not unlocking but still reacting to the presence of my phone..

Last edited:
Yes but for some human-fragility reason, holding a key fob is easier than a card. Also, easier in pockets too..

I put the card in my wallet with the other credit cards. I just tap the wallet on the pillar. But I guess for ladies (Ms Julie?), it would be harder, have to take wallet out of purse and wallet could be 5x the size of a men wallet so RFID may not read thru it.

• Funny
Reactions: Msjulie
Blah have been anxiously waiting on this and now of course it is sold out. Lame. It would be nice if there were some sort of wait list or ability to order even when sold out, so I don't have to keep trying and coming back.

This is so dumb.

Hopefully Tesla eventually implement a feature to leave the car unlocked when it is home... much more convenient for those of us who park our cars in garages.

In the interim you can go into the app and unlock the car after it has locked itself when you walk away with your phone... it should remain unlocked until the next time it auto-locks.

Hey check out this fun fact by Tesla:

The Key Fob does not seem to be working and I can’t get into my car. What should I do?
If your Model 3 does not unlock when you press the unlock button on your Key Fob, the key’s battery could be dead. In this case, you can still unlock and drive your Model 3, as the Key Fob functions identically to the Model 3 Key Card. To unlock your Model 3 with the Key Fob when the battery is depleted, position the key on the B-pillar, as you would with your Key Card. You will then have two minutes to place the car in drive. If you need to put your car into drive after two minutes, touch the Key Fob to the center console, the same as you would with the Key Card.

I guess it works similar to the Tesla key card. Interesting.
hmmm. A key car card. Or is it a car key card?