Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob

Will you get a Model 3 Keyfob

• Yes

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • No

Votes: 66 41.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 30.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I right in thinking the only advantage of the fob is that you don't have to touch a door handle before opening the trunk / frunk / charge port or is there something more complex involved in opening these things with the phone/app combo?

One specific question - With the phone access, does the app need to be open and running or is the phone enough? If you have to have the app in focus on the phone (i.e. the latest thing opened on the screen, even if the phone is locked) it'll be a pain but if there are no requirements for the app to actually be the active thing in the phone the fob seems like overkill.

Am I right in thinking the only advantage of the fob is that you don't have to touch a door handle before opening the trunk / frunk / charge port or is there something more complex involved in opening these things with the phone/app combo?

One specific question - With the phone access, does the app need to be open and running or is the phone enough? If you have to have the app in focus on the phone (i.e. the latest thing opened on the screen, even if the phone is locked) it'll be a pain but if there are no requirements for the app to actually be the active thing in the phone the fob seems like overkill.

Largely - you only need to have the app running in order to open the car (don;t need to handle phone). To open the charge point or frunk, you need to get the phone out, ensure it has woken the car (can be a delay), then navigate to the function. This doesn't take more than a minute, but I find a pain when carrying a work bag and a coffee every morning...
(OK, maybe I'm justifying getting the key fob because I like the look of it...) ;-)

They are now available in UK - works great, and gives me more security as I can now drive the car if I ever lose my wallet (containing phone & key card).

Attachments

• 15733011749505654971203007095081.jpg
    15733011749505654971203007095081.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: Glan gluaisne
No, but I now have a problem of what to do with my house key....

I am thinking of changing the front door lock to be "smart" as well.... Undecided.

Then no need for keys.

Ive automated my front door lock using an electric latch plate (like apartment blocks use) its fail safe so locked in the event of power failure and with a zwave relay and my home automation system it works awesomely

Id still like the Model 3 key though, when i had a Model S for a weekend I liked the ‘key’ its just a cool thing to hold lol

Be nice if these could be added to an order for a car, so it can be collected/paired to the car during handover. Might 'phone on Monday and see if that's possible. I really like the idea of having a fob, as I don't usually have the 'phone switched on at home, so having a fob would save having to turn the 'phone on just to unlock the car to get something, or dig out the RFID card.

How do you open the car from your watch? I have an Apple Watch and don't think the Tesla app is compatible. Is it a different watch or a 3rd party app?

I use "Tesla Remote". It's $10, I think, and makes many of the functions of the car available from Shortcuts and/or the Apple Watch. I love it because my hands can be full with groceries and as I am walking to the car I raise my wrist and say "Open the Frunk."

Also, when it comes to opening the charge port, it seems like many of you are opening the app and pressing buttons... but if you have the phone key installed you can keep your phone in your pocket, wake the car by slightly pressing the rear door handle or opening the frunk, and simply tap on the charge door with your fingers.

I usually just press the button the charger handle, however.

Pairing a device takes less effort/time than asking someone to do it for you. I would be over exaggerating if I said it was a 30 second job.

Thanks, I was assuming it might be a bit like pairing a new fob on the i3. That's supposedly a quick and easy task, but in practice it took three of us at the dealership to get the fob paired and working properly, not helped by the fact that the BMW guys seemed to know less about the procedure than I did. They ended up watching a YouTube video to see how to do it...

Thanks, I was assuming it might be a bit like pairing a new fob on the i3. That's supposedly a quick and easy task, but in practice it took three of us at the dealership to get the fob paired and working properly, not helped by the fact that the BMW guys seemed to know less about the procedure than I did. They ended up watching a YouTube video to see how to do it...
No, 30 seconds included putting the battery in the fob...