Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key User Manual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In plain English, Dave's phone tells the car, "I'm Dave's phone, and this is that encrypted character string we shared at the Tesla Store when Dave paired us"....to which the car replies "hey, man, come on in..."

Not sure I could have gone more plain than that.....LOL
Dave's not here maaan....:p

Probably ALWAYS a good idea to safeguard one NFC card and keep the other one on your person - they're like master-keys. You never know when you're phone could go kerplunk, get stolen or otherwise become unavailable.

As for Bluetooth connections getting clobbered - that is strange. As Runt8 suggests - sounds like squirrelly tech to me.

I do not understand the term, "squirrelly tech." But I can assure you and Runt8 that my Apple phone has lost connection to the car about 8-9 times in the three years that we have owned our S. I spend about 10-15 minutes dicking around with the car and the phone before a connection is reestablished.

I do not understand the term, "squirrelly tech." But I can assure you and Runt8 that my Apple phone has lost connection to the car about 8-9 times in the three years that we have owned our S. I spend about 10-15 minutes dicking around with the car and the phone before a connection is reestablished.

Hmm... I didn't mean to diss your tech, but it sure does sound squirrelly to me alright.

I know that this is not the right forum for this, but I'm so curious. In the interest of resolving your connectivity - a few questions, if you don't mind:
Which model iPhone and which iOS version?
Do you also have a wired connection to the car?
When you reestablish connections, do you ever have to "forget this device", or simply reconnect?
How many other devices are register with your S in the bluetooth configuration screen?

As a side note, it's possible that some of your disconnections were firmware updates to the BT stack in either the iPhone, the S or both.

Cheers,

I would prefer having the option of an old fashioned key fob with all the features that come with it (my favorite of which popping open the trunk without having to go into the car). Plus I often leave my phone in the car when going out to dinner, concerts or movies. I don't want to have to carry it with me everywhere I go. Just my personal preference.

Last edited:
My wife and I run down to our Model S so that the seat is set as I can't even get into the car if it is her position I am more inclined to let her drive
Also according to the manual, if the first phone which gets in range will open Tesla, it would be quite annoying when going out shopping together with my wife only to see our phones brawl for "ownership" each time we approach the vehicle :(
This happens with our Model S. My wife runs for the car knowing that if the seat is in her position I can't even get into the car. You will learn to be ready early and get plenty of exercise running for the car. :)

You ahve to be logged in to authenticate the bluetooth host device to the car for the first time (and add the MAC address to the authorized devices list). The cell connection is kinda moot after that.
I'm a bit puzzled about that, because it says
In situations where you no longer want your smart phone to access Model 3 (for example, your smart phone is lost or stolen), contact Tesla support to disable the Model 3 mobile app.
So Tesla does not connect to the car to remove phone info from it. It connects to the phone. So it needs cellular connection for that.
Can we log into the app without cellular connection ? o_O (if we are underground, or in the middle of nowhere)

It's weird... Also, if you want to remove access from your phone, Tesla says you should just remove the app from the phone. No way to do it directly from the car ? Not safe !
What happens if you buy a second-hand Tesla ? Or you let a friend borrow your car once ? You have no way to now what phones are allowed to use your car ?

So Tesla does not connect to the car to remove phone info from it. It connects to the phone.
No, they connect to the car and tell it to no longer trust that phone. As you said: "if you want to remove access from your phone, Tesla says you should just remove the app from the phone."

No way to do it directly from the car ?
Yes there is: Sit in your car, call Tesla and it is done ;)

... and perhaps some other way too, this is the procedure to use if your phone "is lost or stolen" and you may not have access to - or access to enter - your car.

I'm a bit puzzled about that, because it says
So Tesla does not connect to the car to remove phone info from it. It connects to the phone. So it needs cellular connection for that.
Can we log into the app without cellular connection ? o_O (if we are underground, or in the middle of nowhere)

It's weird... Also, if you want to remove access from your phone, Tesla says you should just remove the app from the phone. No way to do it directly from the car ? Not safe !
What happens if you buy a second-hand Tesla ? Or you let a friend borrow your car once ? You have no way to now what phones are allowed to use your car ?

I don't believe this is talking about the Bluetooth stuff. This is talking about the remote connection that authenticates to the Tesla servers. When you buy a second hand car you need to contact Tesla and get the car moved to your account, which disables access from whatever account controlled it before.

For the bluetooth stuff just deleting the pairing from within the car should be sufficient, but the person who stole your phone could still unlock your car by using the remote app unless it's access was disabled. The car has no idea where the commands are coming from, since they always come from the Tesla server. It's the connection between the phone and the Tesla servers that needs to be broken.