Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Long Range is VERY Slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What tires are on the car? Tires are pretty important factor

Not on this car they're not (for 0-60 or 1/4 mile times anyway, they obviously make a big difference if you're measuring stopping distance or something)- the 3 is not traction limited for acceleration.

Even the performance model 3 runs about the same times on top-end summer performance tires or mediocre all-seasons.

Not on this car they're not (for 0-60 or 1/4 mile times anyway, they obviously make a big difference if you're measuring stopping distance or something)- the 3 is not traction limited for acceleration.

Even the performance model 3 runs about the same times on top-end summer performance tires or mediocre all-seasons.

original.png

Reactions: atrey
I've had my M3LR for approx 2 weeks now. I loved it initially until I started looking at the 0-60 times. The BEST I've had on a full charge is 5.3. Most times avg. 5.6 seconds. I'm sorry but I paid extra in part for the faster car. I feel like I paid for a LR but got the performance of a SR. I've used several apps and got the same times. I haven't been to track or used a higher end system like Dragy but I again, I've used multiple apps with same results. Very disappointing. Any suggestions or recommendations?
dragy is not a 'high end' system. also, your phone is not remotely capable of being accurate. then you need to make sure your battery is warmed up.

I have done almost everything you stated. I stopped at a supercharger on the way home. Charged it to 90%. Went 1/4 mile to the entrance ramp. Came to complete stop.timer said ready-go and I did. For a whopping 5.7 seconds. I had the precondition battery note and went from 40% to 95%. None of it matters
buy an adapter cable and install a bluetooth obd scanner and use scanmytesla to read the parameters. you will be able to see how much juice is being pulled by the motors under full load and know if there's an issue instantly with actual power delivery.

Not suggesting the car is fine. It seems not to be. However, one tip for anyone if you want consistent acceleration is to press on the brake with one foot and then press all the way on the accelerator with the other. When you want to go, let off the brake. The system has multiple failsafes when the brake is pressed, and the car will respond very quickly once the brake is released but the accelerator is already at maximum.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
You do not need to brake torque this car to get a good time and I would not recommend it. Leave that for the Mach-E folks as they need all the help they can get ;)

Here's a guy with 80% charge running an 11.7. To run this time in a Model 3 LR, his 0-60 will be under 4 seconds. Yes he has the boost, but the point he is still getting the times he should or better at that SOC:

You would have to have a really low charge to lose a second in a 0-60 run. And it's usually not a drastic drop. 60% or more should still pull well. Above 70 should get you close enough to the advertised time. I'd also recommend borrowing or buying a dragy to run tests.

Open the Tesla app on your phone, at the bottom it will say 'dual motor' if that's what you got. If with a dragy and a charge over 70%, you still get a 5.X 0-60 then take it in to service. Tesla advertised 4.X, and you should be getting that.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
Sounds like somehow you got a RWD. The 0-60 matches the old LR RWD version, which I wish they still offered.
you are 100% correct, he must have a RWD version. my brother has this config, and 5.4-5.6 0-60 is accurate, they are not fast. long range and AWD are not mutually exclusively. the bigger battery won't give you any more power, you need the OTHER motor for more power.

can the OP check his config in the car settings and confirm he only has a single motor?

Reactions: El joe