Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 long range vs other premium sports sedans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been hearing a lot actually about road noise. It doesn't discourage me from wanting to buy it, but it's concerning.

Yesterday a client and I were raving about his M3 w/boost and he actually came back in a few seconds after he left just to tell me that the only thing he doesn't like about it is the road noise - he didn't mention wind noise though.

I wonder if there's any good way to mitigate that? Isn't road noise usually only attributed to crappy tires, or maybe a poor suspension in a small number of cases. Wind noise, I would imagine, can be blamed on poor fit and finish - body panel gaps, and/or an improperly sealed windshield?

I've been hearing a lot actually about road noise. It doesn't discourage me from wanting to buy it, but it's concerning.

Yesterday a client and I were raving about his M3 w/boost and he actually came back in a few seconds after he left just to tell me that the only thing he doesn't like about it is the road noise - he didn't mention wind noise though.

I wonder if there's any good way to mitigate that? Isn't road noise usually only attributed to crappy tires, or maybe a poor suspension in a small number of cases. Wind noise, I would imagine, can be blamed on poor fit and finish - body panel gaps, and/or an improperly sealed windshield?

The Model 3 does exhibit more road noise than most of its competitors. Only you can decide whether that downside outweighs the car’s myriad upsides.

IMO, the road noise is mostly caused by the suspension transmitting said noise to the cabin. The suspension itself isn’t noisy - it’s the combination of bushing material and suspension mounting points that create the issue. Mitigating this noise is very difficult, as adding sound deadening material doesn’t directly address the cause.

The car is very quiet overall on asphalt. It’s concrete and other textured pavements that really demonstrate the issue.

I'm not sure if you've driven a Model 3 yet, but it's necessary to get some of your answers, especially about road / wind noise. Someone like myself coming from low-midrange performance cars with harder suspensions would find it quiet by comparison. It'll be the opposite for those coming from higher-end luxury / sport vehicles.

If sound is a major concern, then the Model 3 may very well not be the car for you. I'm also doubtful it can be easily mitigated, and if it can, to the point that would be satisfactory.

Some premium manufacturers make quiet a high priority. They charge premium prices and install dual pane side windows, extra heavy insulation, narrow tires, effective vibration dampening motor mounts, balance their motors well and detune the motor output and install quieter exhaust and intake systems. They reduce the output of cooling fans, isolate the brakes and give up some aerodynamic efficiency to quiet down the airflow.

This is their marketing plan, and people love that silent ride. Problem is that they also tend to be pretty boring and lack excitement of any kind.

Tesla seems to be going after a more engaging experience with lots of power, nimble handling and a rewarding drive. The almost silent electric drive motors tend to accentuate any extraneous noises the car produces.

People love their quiet Mercedes, Lexus, large BMWs, Rolls Royces, Bentleys etc. Problem seems to be is that they all pollute like crazy, suck Gasoline and require expensive maintenance.

• Disagree
Reactions: holmgang
I'm very gladly resurrecting this old-ish thread to proclaim that I am picking up my Model 3 LR dual motor (w/boost!) in a few days!!

It took some brooding over as there are MANY other very nice cars in the ~$50k range, but I'm happy about my decision. Thanks to everyone that swayed me - I'm sure I won't regret it. :)

I've had an M3 Performance for 7 months. You will not regret your decision. I still look for excuses to get in it and drive. Or just get in it and watch Netflix :). Or listen to music.

I'm very gladly resurrecting this old-ish thread to proclaim that I am picking up my Model 3 LR dual motor (w/boost!) in a few days!!

It took some brooding over as there are MANY other very nice cars in the ~$50k range, but I'm happy about my decision. Thanks to everyone that swayed me - I'm sure I won't regret it. :)

Make sure you use someone's referral code. Pick someone whom you have regularly chatted with on the forums or know personally.

Reactions: DwightKSchrute

Road noise is the main thing about the Model 3 that I would like improved.

Ah crap why does it have to be added before I take delivery?? ...I take delivery tomorrow - someone cancelled their appt so I got moved ahead a day. :( I have a few friends on Facebook but no one is answering right now.

Well, if no one answers by tomorrow I'll be asking someone on here!

I'm really disappointed about the referral I had no idea it doesn't work on used deliveries. Oh well!

@Jclboston Yes, everything in my life seems like a roller coaster ride, but with cars it has always been especially true!

So I'm going to have both cars until February when my lease is up - I couldn't wait! LOL the really funny thing is, my insurance is only a little bit more than $100 a month extra to keep both cars...it's interesting, I thought it would be at least $200-$300 more.

I guess my wife will just drive the Jag since I'm pretty safely under my miles. I'd rather not put miles on the SUV, which is what we always drive when going anywhere that's not local, because well...2 kids, and she packs WAY too much lol is that all women, or just my wife??

Also, about the boost - if it didn't already have it I was going to add it on day 1! I'm telling you, once I felt the difference in a client's M3 with boost, I knew with 100% certainty that I would be getting it whenever I bought the car. IMO it's THAT noticeable.

According to this article, this guy hit 0-60 in 3.48 seconds (with 1ft rollout, but I don't give a sh*t lol). That's probably faster than my S7 with the APR tune, and that's the fastest car I've ever owned (or have even driven in) by a fairly large margin.

Tesla Model 3 does 0-60 mph in 3.48 seconds after Acceleration Boost upgrade