Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious what made you guys choose/order the Tesla Model 3.
I didn't choose the car because it was 'Green', I have a lexus ct200h which averages ~48mpg and cost me about $7 week to fill up. The Tesla is not going to save me money. I also had a 350z that I loved, but sold a couple of years ago and have missed ever since. I'm keeping my Lexus and selling my Hyundai Tucson Sport Limited. I feel like most people buying a Tesla now are buying because its the best car for the money, which is where electric cars need to go to win over the old skool car guys like myself. There a lot of great reasons to buy a Tesla, Just curious what the main reason you chose it.

Everything about the Model 3, the performance, the green, the tech. I’m coming from a Dodge Charger and wanted performance, but am sick of driving a whale. The 3 is just so fun to drive. I love the instant torque and the feel of the car. The 3 is the right size for me to commute in, but the family can fit in it when needed. The wife drives a large suv that we use for trips and camping, though I’m hoping to road trip in the 3 in when we don’t need the storage. The tech is just fun and the future. I certainly like that the car is better for the environment and saves me money long term on maintenance and operations, but the fun factor is first and foremost. If it wasn’t for both the green factor and lower long term costs I certainly wouldn’t be spending this much on a car, in fact I’d probably be going used as well if it wasn’t that the used 3 market is just wacky and makes buying new a much easier decision.

Reactions: Mark57
Everything about the Model 3, the performance, the green, the tech. I’m coming from a Dodge Charger and wanted performance, but am sick of driving a whale. The 3 is just so fun to drive. I love the instant torque and the feel of the car. The 3 is the right size for me to commute in, but the family can fit in it when needed. The wife drives a large suv that we use for trips and camping, though I’m hoping to road trip in the 3 in when we don’t need the storage. The tech is just fun and the future. I certainly like that the car is better for the environment and saves me money long term on maintenance and operations, but the fun factor is first and foremost. If it wasn’t for both the green factor and lower long term costs I certainly wouldn’t be spending this much on a car, in fact I’d probably be going used as well if it wasn’t that the used 3 market is just wacky and makes buying new a much easier decision.

My friend just bought a ZL1 Camaro... We already have a race scheduled. Its not really fair since he bought the (almost) most power you can get from Chevy and it cost significantly more than the M3. But I want him to experience what electric cars have to offer. I think its going to change his mind like it did mine.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
My friend just bought a ZL1 Camaro... We already have a race scheduled. Its not really fair since he bought the (almost) most power you can get from Chevy and it cost significantly more than the M3. But I want him to experience what electric cars have to offer. I think its going to change his mind like it did mine.
Do you plan on buying the acceleration boost? It makes a good difference in my opinion. I know it’s $2k but I’m a sucker for speed off the line so I’ll be buying it after delivery. I’ll probably give myself a few days just so I can appreciate the difference that much more.

For additional insight to those waiting, was txting my SA this morning. My delivery is scheduled 2/24. Since I got my VIN, the store arrival showed 2/22. (I was asking for an update this am because of the midwest weather.). He said my car is on a train to their hub in Atlanta and then will be trucked off to Raleigh from there. The 2/22 arrival date has not changed since I received my VIN on 2/8.

For those of us in the southeast at least, it would seem the weather is not impacting the delivery schedules thus far.

As usually happens, I spoke too soon and jinxed it. Got the txt this morning, delivery pushed back from 2/24 to 2/27.

I saw a video where you can purchase it and then get 48 hours to return it. That seems pretty tempting. I'm sure I will have to give it a try and see if I want to keep it.

I’m not sure how much extra boost I need. I’ve floored it a couple of times on the LR, and it pushes you into the seat and you can feel blood rushing. See how you like it before dropping the $2k.

Reactions: hemikat
My friend just bought a ZL1 Camaro... We already have a race scheduled.

Don't forget to switch it out of Chill mode to Standard before you do. I keep mine in Chill but have certainly "tested" standard several times. I had a hot rod pickup "think" he was going to floor it and cut in front of me only to find I left him in the dust the instant I heard his ICE rev up. I was still in Chill mode. Standard would have shamed him much more adequately. He wouldn't even come up close to me at the next light. (It was a street with no side streets and just us on the road)

The LR AWD is pretty nice. It's no slouch. I test drove a model 3 performance and it slams you violently back into the seat when you floor it. My wife grinned and said, does it come in blue? :D Yes dear, I'm quite certain the LR AWD does. :p;) She said so does this one. My wife's no dummy.

Last edited:
I feel like it will stay in Chill mode most of the time. My wife loved the acceleration in the SR when we drove it. The fastest car she has driven was my 350z, which is not a fast car just faster than most. She actually fell in love with it as soon as she saw that she could make it fart. Her eyes lit up and I knew she was sold on it.

My router went out earlier today and I had to replace it which meant reconnecting all the devices in the house and garage to WiFi. When I was reconnecting the Tesla Wallcharger I noticed I can see how many volts its getting in real time. I thought this was super cool then I noticed it said it was connected to Tesla. I got my VIN just a couple of days after connecting it WiFi the first time.. coincidence ???
j/k

My router went out earlier today and I had to replace it which meant reconnecting all the devices in the house and garage to WiFi. When I was reconnecting the Tesla Wallcharger I noticed I can see how many volts its getting in real time. I thought this was super cool then I noticed it said it was connected to Tesla. I got my VIN just a couple of days after connecting it WiFi the first time.. coincidence ???
j/k

I’ve been having my Wall Connector installed and up for 3 weeks now. Didn’t help me get mine any sooner yet..

j/k

If anyone does some good secrets of coincidences to help get the cars sooner please share, I’ll try some Voodoo as well.

I don't know what the secrets could be. I financed through Tesla and completed all the paperwork the same day I put down my $100. I didn't think connecting the Wallcharger really made a difference. I mostly thought it was strange that the charger connected to Tesla. Maybe it was just checking for updates. Or maybe Elon was checking for Hentai in my browser history