Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an aside, the Owner’s Manual warns against seat covers - they could interfere with the side airbags. Does anyone use them anyway? We’ve used them before in cars that warned against them, and the better ones have cutouts to seem to allow for airbag activation. Even with a black interior, we’d like to protect the seats from wear.

I plan on using them. The photos and pictures of the good ones I've seen look great and they're a lot cheaper than $1,000. If Tesla doesn't want us to use seat covers they really should give us more seat color options and not charge a ridiculous $1,000 just to change colors of the same material!

M3LR -White/Black/18" No FSD
OD : 10/22/21
Placed on hold until 12/28/21
Tesla automatically removed hold on 12/25/21
12/29/21: EDD - Feb 22 - March 22.
12/31/21: EDD - Jan 11 - Jan 25
1/11/22: EDD - Jan 25 - Feb 07
1/16/22: Received Vin- 155. EDD - TBD.
1/18/22: Placed on hold until 1/22/22 (90 day hold limit from order date)
1/19/22: hold automatically removed, vin removed, EDD - TBD
1/23/22: EDD - April 03 - May 01
1/24/22: Scheduled delivery Jan 29th, Vin - 152###

Intel Atom, here I come.

random question, i sometimes check the exisiting inventory in my area and sometimes one with my config will pop up but will be with FSD -- they usually disappear from the search rather quickly.

are these cars just bought that fast? or could they remove FSD from the car and assign to someone who ordered the config without FSD thats already in queue?

Reactions: Doggerton
random question, i sometimes check the exisiting inventory in my area and sometimes one with my config will pop up but will be with FSD -- they usually disappear from the search rather quickly.

are these cars just bought that fast? or could they remove FSD from the car and assign to someone who ordered the config without FSD thats already in queue?

They CAN remove FSD prior to purchase. Use the chat feature on the order page. Yes, they are sold that fast.

Reactions: In_the_process

Pretty sure they can remove it via OTA since it is software.

Last edited:

Intel Atom, here I come.
Congrats!

Can you not retrofit the li-ion battery after the fact?
Not from tesla you wont be able to. There are third party ones but you likely wont be able to retrofit the OEM one after the fact as it looks like it also has some different connections (and may have different software config in the car).

Not from tesla you wont be able to. There are third party ones but you likely wont be able to retrofit the OEM one after the fact as it looks like it also has some different connections (and may have different software config in the car).
It seems to run at a higher voltage than typical car batteries, so I imagine there's more that changed than just the battery and connections. I doubt there'll be an official retrofit.

Intel Atom, here I come.
Congrats!!

You're right, I did not consider the different connectors for Tesla's 12V Lithium-Ion battery and the different software. I guess I got confused with this Lithium-Iron battery which has the standard connectors:
Capture.JPG

While we're all desperately refreshing our Tesla account for our VIN, how many of you are installing a home charging solution prior to delivery?

I went with a 240V NEMA 14-50 because the 30% federal tax credit was not renewed and my local rebate requires a permit (my city makes getting a permit harder than getting a Tesla with no panel gaps). Paid ~$200 for material+labor since I already had the breaker box in my garage. Just bought the $30 wall mount from Tesla -- good enough for me.
I am still waiting…but started to think about the charger. I will have an electrician to run wire from basement sub panel to garage regardless. I don’t know if I want to just go with a 14-50 or bite the bullet to get the wall charger (another ~$600) so that I can keep my mobile charger in the car??🤔

Reactions: lexapro

I asked my advisor about this and he said they stores nearby the vehicle have auto-match on, and they are automatically assigned to nearby stores. Maybe he was wrong, but that was the reply I got when I texted a screenshot of my exact configuration for sale and asked if it could be assigned to me. LOL

You're right, I did not consider the different connectors for Tesla's 12V Lithium-Ion battery and the different software. I guess I got confused with this Lithium-Iron battery which has the standard connectors:
View attachment 759636

the Ohmmu battery is an aftermarket Li-Ion battery thats $450 or so. It has also (twice now) had issues where it has thrown errors because of changes in tesla software updates. Ohmmu has been responsive, and has had to swap batteries for some people, but it should not be considered "seemless" like an OEM solution.

I have a model 3 with the "regular" battery, and the cost from tesla to replace it is $85. As someone said, coming from the world of BMW, a battery that cost $129 for tesla to swap for me, out the door, in my driveway with mobile service (or $85 for the part), is not a huge concern for me personally. I just had tesla swap my battery a few months ago.

NOTE:.. I am not making ANY judgement or comment on what people may or may not want to wait for in their own cars. Just passing on that the "regular" battery is fairly cheap as car batteries go, especially if you are used to paying something like "BMW prices" where the AGM battery was 400 for just the part, or the li Ion was "more than that".

Reactions: CarlThompson
I am still waiting…but started to think about the charger. I will have an electrician to run wire from basement sub panel to garage regardless. I don’t know if I want to just go with a 14-50 or bite the bullet to get the wall charger (another ~$600) so that I can keep my mobile charger in the car??🤔
I had the same question - I went with wall connector installation in December. 1. it can charge little faster compared to 14-50, and 2. there was also the 30% tax credit. Wall connector is just a elegant solution, and if you don’t need the extra charging speed, 14-50 will serve you good. My neighbor has 14-50, and we don’t see a ton of difference in daily usage.

I had the same question - I went with wall connector installation in December. 1. it can charge little faster compared to 14-50, and 2. there was also the 30% tax credit. Wall connector is just a elegant solution, and if you don’t need the extra charging speed, 14-50 will serve you good. My neighbor has 14-50, and we don’t see a ton of difference in daily usage.

At a given amps (up to 32 anyway) the performance is going to be exactly the same. What I mean is, if one puts in a 40amp circuit thats connected to a 14-50 (or 6-50 ) outlet, the speed that would charge at is 32 amps (80% of 40amps) and either a wall connector or the mobile connector would be the exact same speed.

Where the wall connector is "faster" (for the vehicle we are talking about in this thread which is the LR tesla model 3) is that it supports up to a 60amp circuit (48amp charging) which is the fastest the car can go for Level 2 home charging. If one puts a 14-50 outlet in, with a 50 amp circuit, which would technically allow 40amp charging (80% rule), the mobile connector will still only go 32amps because thats its max.

Conversely, a lot of new owners think they need to keep the mobile connector in the car (I know I did, and I read about it daily here in fact), but it usually isnt the case unless you are one who goes off the beaten path a lot.

In the more than 3 years I have had my model 3, the only times I have used my mobile connector while traveling somewhere, were places I knew I was going to use it (mother in laws house for holidays for example).

I have a wall connector, and will admit freely that part of why I have it is because it "looks more finished" than the mobile connector. There is nothing wrong with using the mobile connector long term, though, lots do (maybe even more than buy the wall connector).

• Helpful
Reactions: Doggerton