Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All this frantic activity of cars getting shuffled around because people are rejecting VINs (which I don't have any problem with) is a good argument for Tesla adopting more conventional model years. For example, if you order a 2022 you would automatically get AMD, Li ion LV battery and heated wipers. You would also get the $2k in price hikes Tesla gave us. If you order 2021 you wouldn't get any of those things but you'd get all the features introduced in 2021 plus of course the lower price. If you order 2023 you get dual-pane rear glass, hairpin motor windings, and new HV battery and whatever price Tesla wants to charge.

There would be no need for rejecting cars and freaking out because everyone would be on the same page and know exactly what they're getting and getting exactly what they paid for. If you ordered a 2021 toward the end of year and then later decide you want a 2022 you can do that... but you'd have to cancel your 2021 order (possibly forfeiting your $250) and place a new 2022 order for the higher price and start at the back of the line. IMO that's the "best" and most fair way to do it. They way things are now someone can pay less than you and get a better car with newer components!
Agreed, the current mixture is really complicating things. With this said, there is also currently a chip shortage, so I understand that they use all components they have available. Once hopefully things stabilize, they can move to a more discrete transition between model years.

All this frantic activity of cars getting shuffled around because people are rejecting VINs (which I don't have any problem with) is a good argument for Tesla adopting more conventional model years. For example, if you order a 2022 you would automatically get AMD, Li ion LV battery and heated wipers. You would also get the $2k in price hikes Tesla gave us. If you order 2021 you wouldn't get any of those things but you'd get all the features introduced in 2021 plus of course the lower price. If you order 2023 you get dual-pane rear glass, hairpin motor windings, and new HV battery and whatever price Tesla wants to charge.

There would be no need for rejecting cars and freaking out because everyone would be on the same page and know exactly what they're getting and getting exactly what they paid for. If you ordered a 2021 toward the end of year and then later decide you want a 2022 you can do that... but you'd have to cancel your 2021 order (possibly forfeiting your $250) and place a new 2022 order for the higher price and start at the back of the line. IMO that's the "best" and most fair way to do it. They way things are now someone can pay less than you and get a better car with newer components!
I agree completely. I obviously didn't even know about the updates when I placed my order, but I also don't want my new car experience tainted by accepting a vehicle knowing that if it were made 4 days later it would have substantial upgrades. I feel silly delaying an order I've been waiting months for, but this Tesla process has turned me into an insane person.

My VIN is 155###, but today SA confirmed Li-ion 12V and "probably" Ryzen. I wasn't expecting either, but this feels like a glimmer of hope for us in the mid-150000s VIN club

Solid Black Ext. | White & Black Int. | 18" Aero Wheels | No FSD OD: 12/04/2021 DD: 02/04/2022
Are you picking yours up in CLT? I am in Greenville SC, we do not have Tesla in SC sadly because of old laws that are not Tesla friendly. My date current date is 2/14-2/28. No Vin yet. Hope to get a higher VIN with the Ryzen and Li-ion 12V

M3LR / Blue with Black / 19 Sport Wheels. My order started back in Aug 2021 but kept delaying the order and rejected three cars, have to take this one or forfeit my order.

All this frantic activity of cars getting shuffled around because people are rejecting VINs (which I don't have any problem with) is a good argument for Tesla adopting more conventional model years.
Most people have no idea. Tesla has always updated components when available, your way would mean a better component wouldn't get introduced until the next model year, meaning thousands of extra vehicles being sold with outdated components and slower innovation. That's the old OEM way, no thank you.

Are you picking yours up in CLT? I am in Greenville SC, we do not have Tesla in SC sadly because of old laws that are not Tesla friendly. My date current date is 2/14-2/28. No Vin yet. Hope to get a higher VIN with the Ryzen and Li-ion 12V

M3LR / Blue with Black / 19 Sport Wheels. My order started back in Aug 2021 but kept delaying the order and rejected three cars, have to take this one or forfeit my order.
I am picking up in CLT. If the SA told me the truth earlier today, then I think I just got incredibly lucky. Your odds in the VIN lottery are better than mine, at least in terms of timing. I'm reading lots of debate over the impact of rejecting VINs

... your way would mean a better component wouldn't get introduced until the next model year, meaning thousands of extra vehicles being sold with outdated components and slower innovation. That's the old OEM way, no thank you.

There's no reason why Tesla would have to wait for a new whole model year to introduce new features. They could do 2022v1 and 2022v2 in the same year, for example. It's the rest of what I said about how to handle orders that's the important part of my opinion; it's not required that it be fixed to any particular schedule. (Though a single revision per year would probably make things a lot easier for customers to understand.) And I'm not sure that putting out a feature a few months earlier than you might otherwise is that big a deal but of course Tesla is free to do so if they wish.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, demand is much much higher than supply, Tesla is selling all cars they produce and there are long wait times, so right now there is really no incentive on their end to change their ways of when and how to introduce new components.

Reactions: JRP3
I would double check on this. I think there was a 153xxx reported with the upgrades but the upgrades were more consistent in the 16xxxx range. For example, my 156xxx and 158xxx did not have the upgrades.
I am a 153 VIN holder. I will be releasing my car. I just need to get a lower rate loan. I don't want to release today because I will probably just get a low VIN. Might as well see if I can get a higher VIN while waiting for my better rate. If it weren't for this better rate I would have kept the car. can't beat a lower monthly payment.

How many East Coast deliveries have the high VIN's? I am in NJ. I am not sure I have seen any.

Just wait. Better to wait until you get your VIN. What if for some reason you get you VIN on March 30th then you have to pull your credit again.
My EDD now is 1/30 to 2/11 with OD on 8/30. The reason why I had to wait for so long is because I waited until November to complete my financial tasks. Maybe I should just put cash for now and once I get a VIN reapply for credit?

I am picking up in CLT. If the SA told me the truth earlier today, then I think I just got incredibly lucky. Your odds in the VIN lottery are better than mine, at least in terms of timing. I'm reading lots of debate over the impact of rejecting VINs
Thanks for the update. I could not decided between ATL or CLT for pickup. Ultimately I picked CLT. I do not have a SA assigned since I have done everything online myself. Do you like your SA in CLT? I assume when I get another VIN I will reach out to CLT and try to get a SA assigned to me. Good luck on your pickup and let us know how it goes and if you really do have the new upgrades....hoping you do!

My EDD now is 1/30 to 2/11 with OD on 8/30. The reason why I had to wait for so long is because I waited until November to complete my financial tasks. Maybe I should just put cash for now and once I get a VIN reapply for credit?
That would be my suggestion. Put cash for now so you don’t loose your place in line and apply for credit once the VIN is assigned

Thanks for the update. I could not decided between ATL or CLT for pickup. Ultimately I picked CLT. I do not have a SA assigned since I have done everything online myself. Do you like your SA in CLT? I assume when I get another VIN I will reach out to CLT and try to get a SA assigned to me. Good luck on your pickup and let us know how it goes and if you really do have the new upgrades....hoping you do!
Tbh, I don't know if the SA is technically assigned to me, but I've spoken with the same guy each time I had to call about something. I've always gotten quick answers from CLT, so as of now, I highly recommend. Fingers crossed for the upgrades, all around!

Reactions: Wes1356
Ordered M3LR Red/Black 18” back on 10/29

Got a VIN on 12/9 but I rejected it and went on hold hoping that BBB would pass…

Came off hold around 12/29 and my first EDD was 2/20-3/20

Current EDD is 2/6-2/20

Hoping the delay yields me a Ryzen+ Li-ion battery!
Just got assigned VIN 167 and confirmed with the SA that it has both the Ryzen and Li-ion battery! EDD is now 2/12-2/16. My new Red M3 will be a great Valentine’s Day gift!

There's no reason why Tesla would have to wait for a new whole model year to introduce new features. They could do 2022v1 and 2022v2 in the same year, for example. It's the rest of what I said about how to handle orders that's the important part of my opinion; it's not required that it be fixed to any particular schedule. (Though a single revision per year would probably make things a lot easier for customers to understand.) And I'm not sure that putting out a feature a few months earlier than you might otherwise is that big a deal but of course Tesla is free to do so if they wish.
I can see it now......"I ordered 2022 v1 but now 2022 v3 is supposed to have upgraded cupholders"..........."that's it, I am cancelling my order and forfeiting my money so I can get the new cupholder"........:D