Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have experience with tesla insurance? I'm thinking about getting it once the car shows up. Currently have esurance but they are not great. Trying to see my options.
I just did the insurance quote thing... Companies vary massively. I'm in NY and can't get tesla insurance. However, I found that progressive and all state had rates MUCH lower than my current policy (Geico). I will be spending $1200 LESS a year insuring my family through either of those companies, even with my new model 3 replacing my old prius. I was expecting to spend much more.
It's definitely worth the effort to spend a day on your laptop plugging in your data at the websites of the major insurance carriers in your state.

Does anyone have experience with tesla insurance? I'm thinking about getting it once the car shows up. Currently have esurance but they are not great. Trying to see my options.

I tried calling them multiple times to inquire about setup, and I couldn't get through on 20+ minutes of combined wait time. I decided I'd go with State Farm, where my premium would be ~$100 per month. Not being able to get through on the phone rubbed me the wrong way.

Folks that had to add insurance info........it says it must have the VIN info present.......there is no way I intend to pay insurance for 3 weeks when I don't have the vehicle. What did you all do?
I had to wait for the vin to get quotes. However, when you sign-up for a policy, you choose the start date. Therefore, my new policy begins on Wed when I pick-up the car :) However, we're supplied the insurance cards / docs as soon as we sign-up. Therefore, you can give that to the service center so they can register the car (in NYS, you need proof of insurance to get a registration). I was also able to forward the insurance docs (with the lender listed) to the bank, so I can get a check cut.
I won't lie. The whole insurance quote thing and document thing took an entire afternoon.

Reactions: Paul4343 and cmy4x4
I am so tired of dealing with EDDs for the Teslas we have/had on order I only check it every Sunday now. Very busy today as it was a special day for my wife and trying to do Valentines Day early. In the midst of everything I almost forgot to check the until a message from Tesla asking me if I am selling a vehicle to prepare for our upcoming delivery.

That typically means delivery is pretty close. So I rushed to check. A huge amount of movement. The EDD for her car moved up quite a bit. We could have it as soon as 10 days. We are now at a 2 week window (2/22-3/8). Normally a VIN is definitely getting close. Maybe Tesla is trying to move up deliveries so there isn't such an EOQ delivery rush.
I have the exact EDD what is your configuration and OD?

White/Black/Aero and OD of 1/13/22. When I originally ordered I was looking at an estimated April delivery date. Sure is coming sooner than we planned. Maybe purchasing a Y and the S sped things up a bit.
Thanks! Black/Black Aero here. OD 1/15. Having the feeling I’m getting My VIN this week based on the 2week window and what others have said. SA has been responsive, but has no additional info for me… Good Luck!

MSM/White/18"/no FSD

OD:11/4 - Birmingham, AL area. Delivery in Atlanta, GA.

EDD just got updated to 4/26 - 5/24 :(

Is anybody else in the same bucket? I'm seeing everyone for OD of November have taken delivery.

SA is not responsive. I don't know what to do.
My order EDD got updated to 3/2-3/30 for a few days then all of a sudden I got a VIN 3 days later. It could come sooner then your EDD.

good2.jpg

My new car today on its first test drive!

The build on this one is comparatively good but not perfect. (For example, see the difference along the seam separating the driver side front fender and the driver's door. Specifically look at the difference in the height of the two panels relative to each other at the top vs. at the bottom. In real life it's actually not as noticeable as it is in the photo but it is still noticeable if you're looking for it.) Still this car is better than the average I saw at the factory when looking at all the panel gaps and joins on all the cars there.

I've already mentioned in a previous post that the exterior build quality of the current cars vs. the early ones from 2017 is much improved but still not what I would consider good by luxury car standards. The interior quality of the current cars is also greatly improved vs. my old 2018 Model 3. I loved that 2018 but I always felt that the interior felt just a bit little chintzy and cheap. Tesla has made a lot of subtle tweaks to the interior of the current Model 3 and they add up to an excellent, quality feel. It still feels spartan (as intended) but it now just feels like quality in a way the older cars didn't. I love it!

I've thoroughly inspected this new car and I can find nothing so far that I need to schedule an initial service appointment for! (Well, there is one rattle that is coming from the passenger seat belt buckle vibrating against the side of the passenger seat but I think I should be able to easily fix that myself.) This is in sharp contrast with the bad, bad luck I had with my early 2018 Model 3 where I no joke had over a dozen separate and distinct rattles, creaks, squeaks and noises on delivery. I also had a few other component failures in that first year or so of that early Model 3. To Tesla's credit, they did patiently fix (almost) all of those noise issues without complaint over several service visits. Tesla's willingness to make all of my issues right is a big part of the reason I decided to buy another Model 3. After the first 1.5 years or so my first 2018 Model 3 almost never saw a service center.

This new Model 3 is also much quieter than my 2018 with much less road and wind noise. It still isn't quite as good as some other luxury brands but it's perfectly acceptable. The suspension of the new car feels slightly more responsive and sporty than in my old Model 3 while also feeling more composed and more refined. The Model 3 suspension is now very good for a regular sedan but in my opinion isn't right for a car that can perform like the Model 3 does. It really needs a sport suspension that handles flatter with less body roll when cornering. But that's a personal taste thing. I'm very seriously considering getting the Mountain Pass Performance coilovers put in... Finally the new AWD Model 3 is of course much faster than my old 2018 RWD!

The verdict: The new AWD Model 3 is still a blast to drive and now simply feels much higher quality than the older ones. If someone asks me now if I think it's an unqualified good value for $50k+ there won't be any hesitation. Yes it is.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

Progress?

OD: 12/22/21
EDD: Jan 29-Feb 29
EDD: Dec 29-31
Dec 28: reversed my ACH cash payment, released VIN and placed order on Hold
Jan 26: released Hold
Jan 27 EDD: Feb 4-Mar 4
Feb 4 EDD: Feb 8-Feb 22
Feb 9 EDD: Feb 10-24
Feb 11 EDD: Feb 15-Mar 15
Feb 13 EDD: Feb 15- Mar 1

M3LR/White/Black/18” Aero/no FSD. Live in the Bay Area, just up the road from Palo Alto.

View attachment 768735

My new car today on its first test drive!

The build on this one is comparatively good but not perfect. (For example, see the difference along the seam separating the driver side front fender and the driver's door. Specifically look at the difference in the height of the two panels relative to each other at the top vs. at the bottom. In real life it's actually not as noticeable as it is in the photo but it is still noticeable if you're looking for it.) Still this car is better than the average I saw at the factory when looking at all the panel gaps and joins on all the cars there.

I've already mentioned in a previous post that the exterior build quality of the current cars vs. the early ones from 2017 is much improved but still not what I would consider good by luxury car standards. The interior quality of the current cars is also greatly improved vs. my old 2018 Model 3. I loved that 2018 but I always felt that the interior felt just a bit little chintzy and cheap. Tesla has made a lot of subtle tweaks to the interior of the current Model 3 and they add up to an excellent, quality feel. It still feels spartan (as intended) but it now just feels like quality in a way the older cars didn't. I love it!

I've thoroughly inspected this new car and I can find nothing so far that I need to schedule an initial service appointment for! (Well, there is one rattle that is coming from the passenger seat belt buckle vibrating against the side of the passenger seat but I think I should be able to easily fix that myself.) This is in sharp contrast with the bad, bad luck I had with my early 2018 Model 3 where I no joke had over a dozen separate and distinct rattles, creaks, squeaks and noises on delivery. I also had a few other component failures in that first year or so of that early Model 3. To Tesla's credit, they did patiently fix (almost) all of those noise issues without complaint over several service visits. Tesla's willingness to make all of my issues right is a big part of the reason I decided to buy another Model 3. After the first 1.5 years or so my first 2018 Model 3 almost never saw a service center.

This new Model 3 is also much quieter than my 2018 with much less road and wind noise. It still isn't quite as good as some other luxury brands but it's perfectly acceptable. The suspension of the new car feels slightly more responsive and sporty than in my old Model 3 while also feeling more composed and more refined. The Model 3 suspension is now very good for a regular sedan but in my opinion isn't right for a car that can perform like the Model 3 does. It really needs a sport suspension that handles flatter with less body roll when cornering. But that's a personal taste thing. I'm very seriously considering getting the Mountain Pass Performance coilovers put in... Finally the new AWD Model 3 is of course much faster than my old 2018 RWD!

The verdict: The new AWD Model 3 is still a blast to drive and now simply feels much higher quality than the older ones. If someone asks me now if I think it's an unqualified good value for $50k+ there won't be any hesitation. Yes it is.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!
Congrats on your graduation! The car looks AMAZING!

I guess it has AMD and the 12v battery?
Also how long did you wait for the VIN after getting the trade in message? TIA!

My trade in message was sent on January 16th. I received a VIN today February 13th. Still don't think the trade in message means much of anything.

Nice write up - quick question, are the panel seam gaps considered within reason for Tesla to not fix them for you?

Thanks! Yes, it has both the AMD and the Li Ion LV battery. I confirmed the battery visually myself and the screen tells me I have a Ryzen (though honestly it doesn't seem all that different from my last Intel Model 3). I got the trade in text on Jan 31 and I got the VIN on Feb 11.

Nice write up - quick question, are the panel seam gaps considered within reason for Tesla to not fix them for you?

Thanks! I didn't ask them to fix any of the gaps so I don't know for certain what they would say but I strongly suspect Tesla would say it's within spec. Honestly I wouldn't even have noticed any of this if it weren't for all the talk about Tesla panel gaps over the years. This is not something that bothers me and my particular car has only very small issues. I'm more concerned about performance and comfort and this car is great!

So I randomly decided to check Tesla app during some free time at work and BOOM “enable Bluetooth permission” window popped up and then suddenly a VIN F183xxx. Latest EDD 2/14-2/28.
OD 12/14 White/Black/Aero/No FSD with pick up in Camarillo.
Got trade-in text message and phone call last Sunday 2/6 so about a week ago.

Excitement is trickling back in after such a peak and trough EDD ride. I’ll take it as a Valentine’s Day gift for my gf and I 😁

Now onto the loan and insurance portion of this journey 😓

MSM/White/18"/no FSD

OD:11/4 - Birmingham, AL area. Delivery in Atlanta, GA.

EDD just got updated to 4/26 - 5/24 :(

Is anybody else in the same bucket? I'm seeing everyone for OD of November have taken delivery.

SA is not responsive. I don't know what to do.
OD 11/12 EDD TBD and no one seems to have any info. People around me are getting VIN and setting up delivery date.