Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks but i forgot to put the year. I ordered from August 2021, but now my estimated arrival date is September 2022.

Anyway, fast track i had an EDD of May 12, 2022 but last week I forgot to update my odometer so i see its now pushed back to September 2022. Was this because i didn’t update the odometer trade-in fast enough?
There is probably no correlation, but this is why I suggest not getting the trade-in involved until after you get a VIN. as soon as you get a VIN, ask your SA to open up that option and get an offer.

Reactions: thebeat1515
It all depends on what starting point in construction you're talking about. The number I hear that executives bandy about is 10 hours. Traditional companies take 30 or so.

Tesla Can Make an Electric Vehicle in 10 Hours, Volkswagen Production and CEO Unable to Keep Up

The 10 hours number may be Tesla's best, so it would involve gigacastings and Model Ys. I've seen a 48 hour number for going from aluminum roll to rolling car, but I'm not sure there's a point to that statement given that parts are being accumulated in advance so that the assembly line doesn't go lacking.

Edit: Here's @RoiDuNord's 90 minute number in an article from 2018

Tesla takes 40 steps and 90 minutes to produce a Model 3 at the Fremont Factory
Thanks for the links!

(moderator note)

Since this thread tends to be filled with people "newer" to the site, I will remind everyone that, while TMC does allow disagreements, we do not allow personal attacks (or name calling).

This thread is also fast moving (very fast) and in the past I have been asked to be less concerned about the general discussion in it (by people participating in the thread) because its a "waiting room" so sometimes topics other than "is my EDD accurate!?!?!?!?" Might be discussed.

I mention this, because the "I ordered another car and waited for it" / "Why would you order (insert car) and wait for it?" discussion was relevant only in that it was about waiting for cars (which is why I did not go back and remove it all).

We dont mind people disagreeing about topics, as long as they are respectful, and keep any disagreement to the topic, and not directed at the person. If you see something that is inappropriate, please report it using the report button that appears at the bottom of each post. That will flag the post for a moderator to look at it. Give a description of the issue you have for the moderator to review.

This is a general warning to not use aggressive language, or personally attack anyone in this or any other thread here on TMC. Thanks.

If this isn't sarcasm, being in a different car manufacture forum looking for their waiting times is a strange place to get offended in.
DE905A39-0984-4C14-81C8-AB668048410B.jpeg

Serious question: can the SA manually change delivery dates, prioritize other clients, etc?
When it suits them - ex. Delays cause the 3-day delivery window to shift, someone cancels or rejects their VIN so it's given to someone else.

See Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

My SA is actually the sales rep in my store and he always gets back to any texts within an hour during working hours.
My first SA was just the virtual advisor, then when I got my VIN I was contacted by the actual sales rep at my store. Everything after that was smooth and they were very responsive as they switched my payment to trade-in and finance.

Reactions: Spivas
Thanks but i forgot to put the year. I ordered from August 2021, but now my estimated arrival date is September 2022.

Anyway, fast track i had an EDD of May 12, 2022 but last week I forgot to update my odometer so i see its now pushed back to September 2022. Was this because i didn’t update the odometer trade-in fast enough?

Nope. They're facing supply issues combined with lots of consumer demand, and that's causing lots of delivery timelines to be pushed back. If you read through this thread, you'll find lots of folks who have recently received disappointing news about their delivery window.

There is probably no correlation, but this is why I suggest not getting the trade-in involved until after you get a VIN. as soon as you get a VIN, ask your SA to open up that option and get an offer.

Thanks for your help guys! I also read that there was some glitch in the system that shows 2 months pushed back. Hoping this is true.

(Another speculative pensive post… be warned… lol)

I know it is impossible to decipher all that factors into delivery dates but I can’t help but try and read the tea leaves as I see all the changes going on. My background is technology and system integrations so my way of looking at the tea leaves gets nerdy at times. But the basic thing is I keep looking at what you all post and I keep wanting more parameters shared. Lol.

I shortened my post to keep this super high level. My summary of random thoughts and guesses before I go back to refreshing my Tesla app.

- The data driving EDD’s has a ton of parameters and my guess is the big slips came from a line being drawn between orders that will be shifting to the next quarter and removed from scope from this quarter.
- I wonder if there is too much emphasis we place on options and delivery location. Those all factor into EDD but… I am wondering how much “readiness to buy” factors in.
-“Readiness to buy” - who had their stuff in order? Who is at risk to delay an order? Who has a trade in that might complicate things? Who hasn’t finished their account setup? I really wish we had a data point we could add to the signatures and when we share EDD details. (Cash vs financing selected, trade in?)

We all speculate and this is just some stuff I have been wondering about. My SA has given me nothing but canned responses after finalizing my order details. HOWEVER… When I initially placed my wifes Y and then later my 3LR order he was fairly candid about a couple of things. 1) He recommended setting it to cash until the Vin rolled in 2)He wasn’t putting in any trade in information until later in the process. He gave me a ballpark quote but nothing was ever tied to my order regarding my potential trade in. (I sold privately a month ago anyways) I know the finance vs cash thing has been discussed before but I wonder how many folks DONT have their orders set to cash and are seeing delays. I wonder how many folks seeing delays have a trade in on record for their order. (Or vice versa of course)

Just some speculation. Don’t think it answers people who ordered in December or January or other craziness I have seen on here. But I think as we analyze each other’s EDD’s I always hope for more details to help drill things down a bit.

For the record, I still have no movement since my one and original EDD. I’m not sweating my EDD but I look at what some of you guys are going through and I just get to wondering.
Yours is a great post, and I think you are right about Tesla using a ton of parameters that go into the decision. I think we would all like to have a peek under the hood, so to speak, regarding their production/delivery algorithm. But none more so than supply chain professionals. Several years ago, Tesla made headlines by disconnecting with SAP as their ERP system solution, and developing their own in house system, instead. SAP (German ERP supply chain software, #1 in the world by a large margin) is used by most of the fortune 500, and almost its manufacturing members, but not Tesla. As someone who has used SAP in the past, and worked with a few SAP version upgrade teams (in a different industry) for me it begs the question, what were the parameters that SAP could not meet, and if we knew that, would it help explain the changes/lack of changes in these disparate dates for the same product and options?

Reactions: phishphan
There’s so much discussion here on the accuracy of the EDD but Apple can’t even accurately give me an estimate for how long it’ll take to finish a software update.

Point is what Tesla is trying to estimate is extremely complex especially when you consider all the various materials they’re trying to account for across all the different cars. I think they do a pretty good job even if they’re not perfect. But if you expect the date to be exact then you’re going to be disappointed.