Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read that Tesla (in CA) manufactures 1200+ vehicles on a daily basis. Are they adding super chargers to compensate, especially for when Texas really gets up and running? I’m worried we will soon have a “line for Costco gas” type of situation.

Edit: I’m mainly worried about this on long road trips, especially in more remote locations.
It's going to be difficult to keep up but they are opening them every week it seems. They do a great job of finding locations that help a lot to fill in gaps on those long trips. For example, I'm watching the morning news and they were talking about a massive gas station (Buc-ee's) that is opening up next week about 40 miles from me and it will house a supercharger station. It sits on I-95 which brings millions of people from the northeast to the southeast. The city (Florence, SC) doesn't necessarily need a second supercharger and it's only there because of the interstate. Follow the link below for a lot of good info on new chargers.

Charging forum: North America

Looking at that photo with cars having a tape patch. The patches don't seem to cover the charging ports. So either it isn't about cars missing parts, or the "missing parts cars" are actually cars missing not the charging port itself but some other (internal) component, and the tape is there only as a marking (signalling to ever try to charge that car). Thoughts?

Also my Toronto SA still says he didn't hear anything about missing parts (asnwering my multiple attempts to convince him otherwise :))
I don't know why everyone has fallen into line on the term "missing charge port", its an ECU that is missing, not the charge port itself. The ECU handles tasks with the charge port, its not the charge port itself that is missing.

No actually, the one I took is 239xxx and has the new matrix light. Manufactured april 2022 and it’s likely that it will be with the new light because the ones that are getting the old ones are the one with a higher VIN. Also I am on the same boat. They said it has logistic hold and once it arrives the center they need to do inspections. They also mentioned that it could take up to 10 days
My car has the same VIN 239xxx, and they told me the same thing that there are logistical delays. It's already in the Brooklyn location. I wonder what's going on?

I don't know why everyone has fallen into line on the term "missing charge port", its an ECU that is missing, not the charge port itself. The ECU handles tasks with the charge port, its not the charge port itself that is missing.
I've explained it a couple times, but people just use "charge port" as a reference point for the topic because that's the way it first came up. People will also hear mention of other issues and latch onto the name used as the way they'll refer to it ever after. They'll probably tell their grandchildren about the time electric cars came without charging ports and we had to hand-wire the battery to the outlet each time.

For anyone who isn't aware, if you have a VIN and a short EDD window that's constantly slipping a day at a time, it's because of this charge port/ECU/missing part/backordered part problem. The cars are sitting in delivery lots, but lack a necessary part. The parts either haven't arrived or they haven't yet been installed. So they keep pushing your dates out until the vehicles get their needed part installed.

If anyone who was seeing that constant slip actually takes delivery, please let us know. That will establish that at least some parts have reached the field and have been installed.

I've explained it a couple times, but people just use "charge port" as a reference point for the topic because that's the way it first came up. People will also hear mention of other issues and latch onto the name used as the way they'll refer to it ever after. They'll probably tell their grandchildren about the time electric cars came without charging ports and we had to hand-wire the battery to the outlet each time.

For anyone who isn't aware, if you have a VIN and a short EDD window that's constantly slipping a day at a time, it's because of this charge port/ECU/missing part/backordered part problem. The cars are sitting in delivery lots, but lack a necessary part. The parts either haven't arrived or they haven't yet been installed. So they keep pushing your dates out until the vehicles get their needed part installed.

If anyone who was seeing that constant slip actually takes delivery, please let us know. That will establish that at least some parts have reached the field and have been installed.
The part with grandchildren being told stories was really unnecessary. The rest of what you said is valid, in my opinion.

Wonder if it's a matter of just shipping them to the Service Centres and waaaaiting for them to be installed, or it is more severe issue, with parts yet to having to arrive from China, for example, in which case the delay could be of many weeks.

Looking at that photo with cars having a tape patch. The patches don't seem to cover the charging ports. So either it isn't about cars missing parts, or the "missing parts cars" are actually cars missing not the charging port itself but some other (internal) component, and the tape is there only as a marking (signalling to ever try to charge that car). Thoughts?

Also my Toronto SA still says he didn't hear anything about missing parts (asnwering my multiple attempts to convince him otherwise :))
So did your SA tell you what's the reason for why you are still unable to take delivery?

During 2021, Tesla added 35% more superchargers, but vehicle deliveries in 2021 increased 87%. Tesla definitely intends to keep adding superchargers and have been streamlining the process in an effort to keep up. A team seems to be able to install one in about a week, and Tesla wants to be able to triple the size of the network by the end of 2023.

Tesla updates Supercharger map with many new upcoming stations and timelines

If you go to the Tesla supercharger map, they show planned supercharger locations as well. They're the light-grey lightning bolts.

Tesla Supercharger Map
I think the destination charging needs to pick up as well. My city has quite a good amount of destination charging, but for some reason parts of the bay still don’t. We are taking a quick trip to San Mateo in a couple weeks and I tried to find a hotel with charging but there isn’t one. I was pretty surprised! We have many hotels with chargers in my city.