Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given all the recent delivery slippages, I called up my SA today. Here is what she had to say:
1. My car is in transit from Fremont to Phoenix by train. She could not pinpoint the exact location of the car (but I was pretty impressed that they have that capability)
2. Expected delivery in Tesla Service Centre is 05 / 12
3. She mentioned from here it takes between 24 - 48 hours for the local site to prep the car
4. Asked her if there was anything missing in the car (e.g. ECU). She mentioned that she does not have visibility into that, as it will be the local service centre which will determine if the ECU was there or not (I thought this was strange)

Got assigned vin yesterday, 252xxx. Called SA today and he said my car rolled off the floor yesterday and should have matrix headlights but can't confirm officially.

But he did confirmed I have a functional charge port out of factory and has mobile charger.

Financing wise I recommend Affinity Credit Union. Rate is 1.89% for 36 mo as of today and I got that.

They also have a savings account with 2% APY for balance less than 5K.

Basically you get to have your cake and eat it too, borrow at sub 2% interest rate AND get 2% for your savings.

Application process was easy and only had to pay a one time $5 donation to a nonprofit to be eligible. Agent was very friendly too.
Is everything online with them or do you have to fillout paperwork through the mail?

I was going to go with Carolina Cooperative but I received their packet in the mail and ... its... a lot of work it appears. They want copies of everything financial wise, and forms, so many forms. I was overwhelmed at all the papers they packed into this little packet that you have to manually fill out.

I pulled up the Affinity site and it appears that 72/84 months isn't that bad APR (for todays standards) so that is what I would go with if I went with them, but I am back in the boat of trying to find a loan place and this is a top contender if everything can be done online.

Looks like DCU is one of the top options for Tesla people as well.

Lots of way to solve the problems with a virtual queue.

Instead of having a single file line to wait for charging, have a waiting lot like how airports have a cell phone lot. That would also prevent cars from overflowing and blocking streets and other parking stalls of other shopping center patrons.

Could give priority to people passing through (ie road tripping) over locals. The cars already have Supercharger stops pre-planned in navigation and know when they will arrive.

It can give you a grace period of 3 minutes or something when it’s your turn to move your car to a stall. It could even dictate the exact stall to go to. If you don’t then it moves on to the next person in line. It can give you a grace period of 1-2 skips before it drops you from the line in case you were in the restroom or eating or something when your turn comes up and you weren’t ready. But it could also send a notification to your phone like 5 minutes before your turn saying like ‘you’re next in line to supercharge, please be ready to move your vehicle to a charging stall when notified’.

The cars have GPS so if someone in line doesn’t show up or leaves the area then they are dropped from the queue.

It can prevent a car from charging if someone tries to swoop in out of turn and possibly implement some sort of penalty system like a fine and/or deprioritize them in the future if they are a repeat offender.

———

And as for your mobile charger comment, a lot of people are using the mobile charger at home as their main charger and it doesn’t leave the house. Supercharging is meant for long road trips out of town. The people that rely on supercharging as their main way of charging and don’t have a way to plug in at home shouldn’t really buy an EV yet IMO.
So anyone with a apartment, rental, no garage, etc shouldn't have an EV? That's kinda a bad take imo

I saw mention that one hour of video consumes 5GB of data. That's consistent with DVD recording sizes (2 hours for 2.4GB times four cameras). So if you have a 500GB drive, that gets you 100 hours. A 1TB drive gets you 200 hours. Your call. I went with a 500GB Samsung T5 and I'm sure that's ridiculous overkill.

Here's another article talking about drives for the dashcam. It recommends the Samsung T7 drive.

Best USB for Tesla Sentry Mode: 6 Tested, Lasting, No-Hassle Products

And a comparison of the T5 and T7 drives.

Samsung T5 vs. Samsung T7: Which portable SSD should you buy? | Digital Trends
I also went down a rabbit hole on this topic the other day looking at threads on this forum and also online and the main issues everyone mentions regarding the "right" storage device for Sentry video recording is DURABILITY. Most USB sticks will end up dying or stop recording from the constant rewriting of the video footage.

The recommended product is an endurance micro SD like SanDisk MAX Endurance, also note that you may not need more than 128GB unless you are also planning to use it to store music. Sentry only saves 1 hour of footage and just keeps rewriting over it so 128GB is enough and coincidentally the size of the Tesla thumbdrive.

The 1 hour of recording is noted by others and I found it noted on the manual...

So anyone with a apartment, rental, no garage, etc shouldn't have an EV? That's kinda a bad take imo
Many EV owners are in apartments, condos, etc and while it's not as convenient it's certainly reasonable to own an EV without a 'house'. Oddly enough I'm about to find myself in that same situation. My house was put on the market yesterday and we'll be moving to an oceanfront condo a few miles from here. I hate the fact that I just installed the charger and the timing didn't work out well as a soon-to-be EV owner but it was the right time to sell so we'll figure it out. A lot of complexes and businesses are installing level 2 chargers and between those and the superchargers, I'm not concerned.

Yea unfortunately communication is not their strong suit. I don’t understand how hard it is to just communicate what’s going on with folks vehicles that are spending $50k +. Asinine to say the least.
emailed Cincy service direct and got this back

"Your car did make it to Cincinnati but due to supply chain constraints, this vehicle is waiting for finishing touches prior to being cleared for delivery. Instead of having the cars backed up at the factory waiting for these final touches, they shipped the cars to the delivery centers, along with final parts to be completed at the delivery center. Once this is completed, you will receive communication to schedule your delivery. We can only move as fast as our slowest parts, but Tesla is working to get this ready for you as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience, and look forward to delivering your new Tesla."

I work in logistics as a consultant who works with nearly every automotive manufacturer (including tesla)..... and am always shocked by their lack of visibility in the entire supply chain

Many EV owners are in apartments, condos, etc and while it's not as convenient it's certainly reasonable to own an EV without a 'house'. Oddly enough I'm about to find myself in that same situation. My house was put on the market yesterday and we'll be moving to an oceanfront condo a few miles from here. I hate the fact that I just installed the charger and the timing didn't work out well as a soon-to-be EV owner but it was the right time to sell so we'll figure it out. A lot of complexes and businesses are installing level 2 chargers and between those and the superchargers, I'm not concerned.
Can confirm. I am buying one and currently live in an apartment. Granted I have a single stall garage spot with electric, so I will be relying on the mobile connector and 120v charging for my 15mi daily commute.

I think you might have misunderstood as we are saying the same thing. I live in an apartment so no home charging however there are 2 superchargers within 2 miles of me. I was disagreeing with the post I quoted who seemed to be saying don't get an ev if you don't have a home spot

Hello fellow M3 (soon to be) owners! I'm so glad I found this forum. It's been extremely helpful and a great way to learn more about my car while waiting for delivery. I've wanted an EV for years but just wasn't ready to pull the trigger since my old car was paid off and basically cost me nothing besides gas and insurance. Now that it has an oil leak I decided to use the money it would take to fix it as a down payment for a car that's guaranteed to never have that type of problem!

Btw I went with blue bc I like how it looks and it moved up the delivery time by a month, 18" wheels since the roads where I live are horrible and low profile tires get ruined quick, and I plan to get acceleration boost the second I pick the car up assuming it's available. I also ordered the Tesla wall charger with an electrician coming tomorrow to install it ($1400). I'm waiting to get my delivery date and then have about 2k worth of accesories I want to get, mud flaps, window tinting, PPF, mats, etc. It looks like I lucked out on the mobile charger since 4/28 is the cutoff date and I ordered my M3 on 4/25!

I like how everyone posts their order and delivery information here since it gives me a better idea of how the process works. So here's my info! I hope I did it right this time. The last one I posted I accidentally put in the MY forum and it got deleted and I really don't want to type this up a third time 🥺

M3LR | 18" Aero | Blue Ext | Black Int | No FSD
OD: 4/25 | EDD1: 8/23-10/18 | EDD2: 7/3-8/7 | EDD3: 7/11-8/22

Just got approved for the loan at 3.24% for 72 months with tesla app (U.S Bank.)
I'm putting $10000 down.

Is that a good deal???
It depends you might be able to get a better deal if you shop around but then you have to deal with all the paperwork and logistics of the payment. 3.24 seems to be the minimum apr tesla is offering. Overall it's not terrible and if you can pay it off quicker then less interest

Reactions: NewEnglandCld
I received my VIN yesterday! 247397

Quick question for the forum....

We were looking at trading in my wife's BMW, but she loves it so much she want's to keep it, so now I'm thinking of trading my truck. Carmax offered 4k over what I paid for it a year ago (2021 Ford Ranger). If I call an SA and ask to add a trade-in to my order, will that cause my VIN to get jerked?

Currently, delivery is showing May 21-24th.

No, just that supercharging isn't the only option, and if physically it really is the only option then life with an EV can be difficult if there's lineups at the SC.
The charging infrastructure in most major cities is such that there should be level 2/destination charges near any condo/apartment/rental.
I received my VIN yesterday! 247397

Quick question for the forum....

We were looking at trading in my wife's BMW, but she loves it so much she want's to keep it, so now I'm thinking of trading my truck. Carmax offered 4k over what I paid for it a year ago (2021 Ford Ranger). If I call an SA and ask to add a trade-in to my order, will that cause my VIN to get jerked?

Currently, delivery is showing May 21-24th.
No it won't affect anything because you already have your VIN.

Last edited:
Reactions: E90alex
The part with grandchildren being told stories was really unnecessary.
That was an attempt at humor. Like "Walking uphill through three feet of snow to get to school - both ways."
Does it start overriding the ssd when it full? Or so we have to take it out and clear
Here's a nice tutorial about dashcam and sentry mode. In short, you don't take the SSD out unless you want to save some video so that you can send it to someone like the police or your insurance company. There are options in the car's user interface to delete all clips, reformat the drive, view clips and delete clips.

Yea unfortunately communication is not their strong suit. I don’t understand how hard it is to just communicate what’s going on with folks vehicles that are spending $50k +. Asinine to say the least.
Unfortunately, publishing information is feeding the media with food for headlines, leading to excessive attention on a temporary issue. Think how many people are still viewing Teslas and electric cars in general with information that is years out of date. That information came to them through the media, and the media doesn't bother to go back and say "Okay, it wasn't really a big deal" or "Tesla is back on track". This is why we can't have nice things.
The last one I posted I accidentally put in the MY forum and it got deleted and I really don't want to type this up a third time
The third time is the charm. Once you get five posts on the site, you qualify to supply a signature for your account. That signature will appear below each of your posts. You can see that under other people's posts (if you read on your phone, turn the phone sideways to see the signatures). So once you reach 5 posts (and can no longer edit the final post), you should be able to type all that stuff in one more time into your signature.

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

Welcome to the waiting room.
If I call an SA and ask to add a trade-in to my order, will that cause my VIN to get jerked?
Ask your SA. I would assume not, if working through the trade-in process doesn't delay your purchase. They want to get those cars delivered (assuming they're ready to go). Note that Tesla doesn't give good trade-in values. You're usually better off with Carmax or Carvana.

Reactions: Not That M3
emailed Cincy service direct and got this back

"Your car did make it to Cincinnati but due to supply chain constraints, this vehicle is waiting for finishing touches prior to being cleared for delivery. Instead of having the cars backed up at the factory waiting for these final touches, they shipped the cars to the delivery centers, along with final parts to be completed at the delivery center. Once this is completed, you will receive communication to schedule your delivery. We can only move as fast as our slowest parts, but Tesla is working to get this ready for you as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience, and look forward to delivering your new Tesla."

I work in logistics as a consultant who works with nearly every automotive manufacturer (including tesla)..... and am always shocked by their lack of visibility in the entire supply chain
I wish Tesla, with its advanced technology, had an automated tracker that “FedEx” and “Domino’s Pizza” employs. Even if they can’t provide a lot of details, at least we would have some idea where our cars are after VIN is assigned. Maybe that’ll reset expectations a tad if we knew all the steps it takes in transit too (ie—born date, Fremont departure date, railway destination arrival date, loaded truck location and departure date…?!). 🧐😝

As someone else stated, I’ve heard folks were able to order adapters from overseas and it worked fine. Also, why hold up vehicles for something not even available in the US yet or for those who could care less about charging at 350kw? Also just out of curiosity, what sources are you reading this from because I can’t find anything about it online.
Here is a source from Canada: CCS retrofit kit for Model 3/Y appears in Tesla Parts Catalog

And here: Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

I also went down a rabbit hole on this topic the other day looking at threads on this forum and also online and the main issues everyone mentions regarding the "right" storage device for Sentry video recording is DURABILITY. Most USB sticks will end up dying or stop recording from the constant rewriting of the video footage.

The recommended product is an endurance micro SD like SanDisk MAX Endurance, also note that you may not need more than 128GB unless you are also planning to use it to store music. Sentry only saves 1 hour of footage and just keeps rewriting over it so 128GB is enough and coincidentally the size of the Tesla thumbdrive.

The 1 hour of recording is noted by others and I found it noted on the manual...
Everyone thinking about this should be aware that the SanDisk microSD card is currently on sale at Amazon. The 128GB card is $30.71. You'll also have to get a thumb drive that can accept the microSD so you can plug it into the glove box slot, and those seem to run around $10. If there are other/better ways of getting the microSD card into that slot, please let us know.

As comparison for durability, the 500GB T5 is 150 TBW (terabytes written) while the SanDisk 128GB is 192 TBW. Higher numbers indicate greater durability. So the SanDisk is more compact, cheaper and more durable than the larger drive. If I had it to do over, I'd go with the SanDisk.

Last edited:
Everyone thinking about this should be aware that the SanDisk microSD card is currently on sale at Amazon. The 128GB card is $30.71. You'll also have to get a thumb drive that can accept the microSD so you can plug it into the glove box slot, and those seem to run around $10. If there are other/better ways of getting the microSD card into that slot, please let us know.

As comparison for durability, the 500GB T5 is 150 TBW (terabytes written) while the SanDisk 128GB is 192 TBW. Higher numbers indicate greater durability. So the SanDisk is more compact, cheaper and more durable than the larger drive. If I had it to do over, I'd go with the SanDisk.
Thanks for the tip on the ScanDisk Amazon sale!

Reactions: JB47394