Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happened to some of the 9xx... vin's? I thought those were supposed to be indicators for heated steering wheels in model 3's? Does 5YJ mean anything?
5YJ is prefix of all vehicles made in USA. The 9XX VINs have generally been indicators of heated steering wheel included, at least for LR models. FWIW, I confirmed my 927XXX VIN will in fact have the heated steering wheel.

Reactions: SeaM3White2021
Well Yeeeehaaaa, right before I stepped out for lunch I hit F5 one more time and I found a VIN on my page!!!!! Its 927xxx. The funny thing is there is a higher VIN on the spreadsheet for an entry two days ago. Does that mean my car was made at least two days ago and just assigned to me? So I am super excited and hoping to hear from my SA. I would love to pickup this weekend. Now I have to get serious about insurance. So hang in there my friends, there is a lot of activity going on!

Mine is 924xxx, it's a little lower in terms of number compared redcap7. Do you know if I'll have it? Or rather, what's the number that indicates heated steering wheel? Like 900xxx and over/newer are the ones that have it?
I'm certainly not the expert, as I haven't yet received my Model 3. However, from what I've noticed in the reports on this forum and elsewhere, those that meet the following criteria are almost certain to have the heated steering wheel. Note I say almost. Don't shoot the messenger if yours doesn't come with it - I'm just going on what I've seen others report. ;)

1. 2021 Refresh Model LR or Performance (i.e. any Model 3 with the Premium interior)
2. VIN in the 901XXX and higher range.

I have not seen reports of anyone with a lower VIN having the heated steering wheel. Of course there may be someone out there who can provide otherwise - anyone is welcome to contradict me, as it helps all of us to consider all of the available datapoints.

Mine is 924xxx, it's a little lower in terms of number compared redcap7. Do you know if I'll have it? Or rather, what's the number that indicates heated steering wheel? Like 900xxx and over/newer are the ones that have it?
You can also get in touch with your SA or local Service Center, and ask them to look up the build sheet for your car, now that you have a VIN. They will be able to confirm if it does in fact have it.

So after mining the order tracking spreadsheet a bit it appears that the local (west coast) deliveries recently have been colors and configurations other than the basic white exterior/black interior/aero wheels. My guess based on this is that the Fremont factory alternates between doing the vanilla configuration and the custom variants. Does anyone here have any insight into how the factory might actually schedule paint colors for example? I can only imagine that they cannot alternate color production throughout the day and have to setup and run a series of cars of the same color in a batch. If my theory is correct then we should be seeing VINs for common colors/config is groups. There seemed to be a bunch of MSM recently. Is pearl white next????
Yeah I noticed its mostly MSM, hopefully pearl white is next. I would think pearl white is the most popular since its the base option.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
You can also get in touch with your SA or local Service Center, and ask them to look up the build sheet for your car, now that you have a VIN. They will be able to confirm if it does in fact have it.
Oh wow, this is unheard of. My SA told me that there's absolutely no way to know if my car will have heated steering wheel or not. I can't tell if he's lacking knowledge, or Tesla employees are prohibited from disclosing the info 🤔