Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well folks, my lurking here is coming to an end. I thought I’d wrap up with a brief history of my wait these past three months to give a head’s up to future buyers. I ordered our new 2021 Model 3 MSM/White LR AWD back on January 2 here in northern CA. After ordering I immediately applied for a Tesla loan, which was approved in three days and was good for 60 days. I didn’t know that at the time, I just wanted all my ducks in a row.

My Tesla page initially gave me a delivery window of March 16-27. Over the next month nothing much happened but I did read about and observe that Tesla apparently delivered east to west, building and delivering in batches, starting in Europe. So, I kept a watch out for my configuration.

In early February my delivery window jumped to February 12-16 briefly, then switched back to late March, then briefly late February again, and then cycled to a 1-12 week from order date window. The dates changed repeatedly giving me hope of an earlier delivery, but eventually settled back on the end of March, apparently the standard for the west coast. This appears to be a standard Tesla quarterly cycle which will start again soon.

As the end of February approached I asked my loan officer to refresh my loan with the bank Tesla was using, and he did. It switched to a simple extension until our delivery, but did require a re-pulling of our credit. Not an issue for us, but may be for others, so don’t rush getting loan approved if delivery isn’t expected within 60 days.

We received our VIN last night, Tesla text giving us our delivery window over the next five days, and email telling us to proceed with down payment processing and giving them confirmation of auto insurance policy for new vehicle. They also said they’d be delivering directly to our house, which we definitely didn’t want.

So, I spent this morning trying to contact our Sales Associate by text who replied that she’s out sick and to email another person or the Service Center. Thing is, Tesla’s call tree doesn’t actually connect to a live person, only to online FAQs and voicemail boxes, so no way to talk to anyone over the phone, and local delivery Operations Manager has full inbox that takes a week to respond. So, I had to drive to the Service Center, fortunately only 30 minutes away.

She was very nice, albeit very busy, and changed our delivery window to next Monday with something called an Express Delivery. They wash the car, park it in their lot, leave a packet of documents for you to sign in the car with the key cards, lock the car, and text you with instructions to use your smart phone to log into the Tesla app when you arrive to accept delivery, which will give you access to the interior of the car to sign the documents, to then leave in a drop box. Then, you drive away.

So, our saga ends. We’ve had many exciting moments over the past three months, watched many videos, read and replied to many posts, and now look forward to the next phase. I hope our car won’t be one of the horror stories I’ve read in these forums, but of course those are the stories that get posted. We have many local friends with Teslas, and they all love them. Fingers crossed for Monday!

P.S. - My last post addressed a pricing discrepancy on my Manage page which turned out to be nothing. They definitely did NOT jack up my price by $1,000 for the LR AWD option. Turns out the price change for this configuration which dropped last month and was appropriately applied to my final sale price wasn’t reflected in another document on the site which made me fear they were raising it back up. That document quietly dropped off my Manage page today.

Hi All, so arranged pick up of M3 LR in Germany with a trailer. Seems no heated steering wheel, although VIN is 901...
Bigger problem was issue with the display. It goes black, then comes back, flickers. So first trip will be to a service centre. Hoping it is just a cable/connection issue.

Reactions: M321
Got a call from corporate on Tuesday confirming everything and asking if I had questions, all was good. Got a call from the local Service Center Wednesday saying my delivery will not arrive until the day of my appointment. Had to move my delivery out to 3/26. I kind of expected this. Won’t be shocked if it moves again either. I’m thinking about doing a Model 3 You Tube video about a car that doesn’t exist but lay out all my accessories as if they were in the car. Would be a different take. A video about literally nothing, just like Seinfeld.

Day 4 of “Trade-in valuation in progress” with delivery scheduled for Monday. SA can’t do anything other than assure me it will come through “shortly.”

Aside from that, where is everyone getting numbers for their SC? I’d like to ask some questions about part/accessory availabilities, and Tesla’s phone menus won’t ever get me to a person.

Day 4 of “Trade-in valuation in progress” with delivery scheduled for Monday. SA can’t do anything other than assure me it will come through “shortly.”

Aside from that, where is everyone getting numbers for their SC? I’d like to ask some questions about part/accessory availabilities, and Tesla’s phone menus won’t ever get me to a person.

I texted my SA about this and got a trade offer within minutes since mine sat for a couple days. I'd also check Carvana a couple times a day, mine bounced around 2-3k a week and I hit it on the high point.

Reactions: theun4gven
I texted my SA about this and got a trade offer within minutes since mine sat for a couple days. I'd also check Carvana a couple times a day, mine bounced around 2-3k a week and I hit it on the high point.
I had no idea they'd fluctuate and just assumed it would be the same for a week or so that they guarantee the offer. Now I have something new to refresh 50 times a day since I have my VIN. Thanks for the info!

After another several days with a blank EDD (after a couple days showing March 31-31), I got hopeful yesterday when it came back with a March 24-31 range. But today it's showing 2-14 weeks from delivery. My only remaining hope is a marching configuration occasionally popping up in existing inventory at my local SC. Whether that is real and means more are coming soon or if it's a system glitch is anyone's guess. I was really hoping to get mine this month, but I know many others have waited much longer. If I have to wait, I'll wait. It'll be worth it!

I printed out a Tesla model 3 on my 3d printer so I can have it here on my desk while I refresh this page and dream of a VIN # to show up.

Seattle Metallic Blue/black ordered 3/3

Attachments

• m3.JPG
    m3.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 53