Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know about anyone else but I'm kind of hoping to get my M3LR from the Austin Gigafactory. Happy opening day!! They will be servicing all of us Easterners'. I watched a youtube video this morning about the new factory and it is, quite honestly, incredible! My EDD hasn't changed as you can see in my signature.
GigaAustin is not making M3, only My and CT.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm kind of hoping to get my M3LR from the Austin Gigafactory. Happy opening day!! They will be servicing all of us Easterners'. I watched a youtube video this morning about the new factory and it is, quite honestly, incredible! My EDD hasn't changed as you can see in my signature.
You'll be waiting a really long time because the Texas site won't be making M3s in the near future.

Has this been confirmed ? Heard there weren't going to be model 3's made in Austin. But I also did hear that they were going to be building for the east coast of the US too. I don't know what to believe.

I can't imagine with the size of this factory that they will limit it to only model Y, cyber truck and semi...
The order rate for the Model Y and the Cybertruck dwarfs that of the Model 3. It is estimated that three million Cybertruck orders were placed. The profit margins on those cars are also much greater than the Model 3. Tesla originally conceived the Model 3 as the affordable electric car that would get people interested in going electric. Remember where Tesla was a year or two ago? But now, in this environment, cost is not the issue. People are rabid to get their hands on an electric car, and Tesla is pretty much the only serious producer.

I'm fairly certain that the Cybertruck and Semi lines will use a whole bunch of space in the factory. They're big vehicles.

It changed so dramatically the first time because I switched from RWD base model to the AWD Extended Range which had a start month of "March" which quickly turned into the 3/12-3/31 EDD almost immediately after I finished my profile or whatever..
Has anyone received their car in the timeframe stated on the website at the time they placed their order?
Received an updated EDD today. Now showing 4/27 to 5/25. Went from a 5 week window to a 4 week window. Progress, I guess :)

I can't imagine with the size of this factory that they will limit it to only model Y, cyber truck and semi...
I never said they wouldn't ever produce Model 3s there. I was saying unless you're planning to take delivery in a 5+ year time frame, it's not coming from Austin. They may in fact not build a Model 3 line there, that remains to be seen. There is still the Roadster and future product roadmap to consider as well.

Reactions: Lori A
Focus on the price of the vehicle. Everyone complaining of delays has a fairly low-margin vehicle configuration. I didn't look hard, but I was checking to see if it was related to 19" wheels. The disappointment being voiced was coming from people with Aero wheels while @Tyler Knepper has mentioned that his EDD has been consistently pushed up, and he has the 19" wheels. Is Tesla supply-limited for 18" wheels? It may also be that Tyler just has a high-margin vehicle and so it's getting moved up in the queue (or not getting pushed back).

There's also the question of whether the shipping destination has a role in which cars Tesla builds. It makes no sense to build one car for a destination and send it off by itself. So they definitely want to batch them up. Follow the money and the apparent randomness of order fulfillment will make sense. It's all about what it costs Tesla to get not only your car to you, but everyone's car to everyone. Tesla is playing an optimization game.
I’d agree with this more times than not. There’s not any rhyme or reason for why the delivery dates move other than Tesla optimizing build and transport.

Obviously the higher configuration builds get priority, and then it depends on your location in terms of how quickly they’re going to send a truck your way.

Reactions: E90alex
Are the WeatherTech all-weather mats better quality and fitment than the OEM ones?

The OEM ones are made by weathertech so don't think there's much difference if any
Yup the Tesla mats are made by weather tech. I went with the Tesla mats because I liked the cleaner look without the giant Weathertech logo.

Didn’t like how a lot of the popular aftermarket ones like the 3D Maxspider or whatever look either.

Destination makes sense as I’m in the truck driving ,oil country center of Canada I can’t see orders pouring in so they can fill a transport to drive up here. I guess I will wait patiently as I’m locked in at Feb price and increments in interest rates will be minimal impact to the money I’ve already saved. Silver lining!!!
You actually have a good EDD with a mid April starting range. I ordered around the same time on 2/7 and have a May range and am ordering from an area that I thought had a lot of Tesla demand. For whatever reason the northeast US area is being delayed in orders. I see orders from the west coast placed in March have better EDDs then others out east.

Last edited: