Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone thinking about this should be aware that the SanDisk microSD card is currently on sale at Amazon. The 128GB card is $30.71. You'll also have to get a thumb drive that can accept the microSD so you can plug it into the glove box slot, and those seem to run around $10. If there are other/better ways of getting the microSD card into that slot, please let us know.

As comparison for durability, the 500GB T5 is 150 TBW (terabytes written) while the SanDisk 128GB is 192 TBW. Higher numbers indicate greater durability. So the SanDisk is more compact, cheaper and more durable than the larger drive. If I had it to do over, I'd go with the SanDisk.
Well, shoot. I wish I'd known this info before I bought a 1TB MicroSD, designed for performance (as opposed to write endurance). I thought it would only start overwriting old video once the consumed storage space reached a certain threshold or something. I didn't know it was hard-set to only retain 1 hour of footage. That should be configurable, IMO.

I think you might have misunderstood as we are saying the same thing. I live in an apartment so no home charging however there are 2 superchargers within 2 miles of me. I was disagreeing with the post I quoted who seemed to be saying don't get an ev if you don't have a home spot
No I was just adding to your response to the poster saying it wasn't a good idea in his opinion.

Reactions: ZZ118
My car has the same VIN 239xxx, and they told me the same thing that there are logistical delays. It's already in the Brooklyn location. I wonder what's going on?

I ended up bugging them for 4 days straight, today I called the 888 number again and they finally worked on it. My initial delivery date is the 18th now they will deliver it today

Everyone thinking about this should be aware that the SanDisk microSD card is currently on sale at Amazon. The 128GB card is $30.71. You'll also have to get a thumb drive that can accept the microSD so you can plug it into the glove box slot, and those seem to run around $10. If there are other/better ways of getting the microSD card into that slot, please let us know.

As comparison for durability, the 500GB T5 is 150 TBW (terabytes written) while the SanDisk 128GB is 192 TBW. Higher numbers indicate greater durability. So the SanDisk is more compact, cheaper and more durable than the larger drive. If I had it to do over, I'd go with the SanDisk.
Thank you for this bruv. Would a memory card reader degrade or slow down the write speeds? Is there such thing as a "endurance"/"high performance" reader?

Thank you for this bruv. Would a memory card reader degrade or slow down the write speeds? Is there such thing as a "endurance"/"high performance" reader?
Reading data does not induce any wear on the SD card. Only writing data causes wear. Durability is purely determined by the card itself, not the USB adapter.

Also, it appears that the way I initially thought Sentry Mode recording should work, is in fact how it does work. From the M3 manual:
"
  • Sentry Clips: Contains the last 10 minutes of footage from all Sentry Mode events that triggered an Alert or Alarm state. If storage space on the USB flash drive becomes limited, the oldest Sentry Clips are deleted to provide space for new ones. Once deleted, you cannot retrieve them.
When the USB flash drive runs out of storage space, video footage can no longer be saved. To prevent the flash drive from getting full, regularly move saved videos to another device and delete them from the flash drive.
"

So it does only begin deleting old security clips, once the USB storage begins to fill up. So a 1TB MicroSD is not a waste after all. 😄

Abstract Ocean sells the SDcard reader that has a USB A pass through so you can have your music thumbdrive in the glove box as well. Since this is the only data port in a model 3. $25
I think with a large enough drive/card, it should be perfectly fine to use the same drive/card for both security/dashcam footage, as well as music, movies, and other media.
Though having separate storage for video footage vs entertainment may be a good idea for organization, and also if you don't want to replace a larger more expensive drive/card (for your entertainment) as the constant video recording from dashcam/security wears it out.

• Informative
Reactions: Junior86
Hello fellow M3 (soon to be) owners! I'm so glad I found this forum. It's been extremely helpful and a great way to learn more about my car while waiting for delivery. I've wanted an EV for years but just wasn't ready to pull the trigger since my old car was paid off and basically cost me nothing besides gas and insurance. Now that it has an oil leak I decided to use the money it would take to fix it as a down payment for a car that's guaranteed to never have that type of problem!

Btw I went with blue bc I like how it looks and it moved up the delivery time by a month, 18" wheels since the roads where I live are horrible and low profile tires get ruined quick, and I plan to get acceleration boost the second I pick the car up assuming it's available. I also ordered the Tesla wall charger with an electrician coming tomorrow to install it ($1400). I'm waiting to get my delivery date and then have about 2k worth of accesories I want to get, mud flaps, window tinting, PPF, mats, etc. It looks like I lucked out on the mobile charger since 4/28 is the cutoff date and I ordered my M3 on 4/25!

I like how everyone posts their order and delivery information here since it gives me a better idea of how the process works. So here's my info! I hope I did it right this time. The last one I posted I accidentally put in the MY forum and it got deleted and I really don't want to type this up a third time 🥺

M3LR | 18" Aero | Blue Ext | Black Int | No FSD
OD: 4/25 | EDD1: 8/23-10/18 | EDD2: 7/3-8/7 | EDD3: 7/11-8/22
I should have pulled the trigger a week earlier. I ordered mine on 5/3, wont get the charger, and my EDD is now 8/25 - 10/6

Since this is the only data port in a model 3.
If that was true once, it is true no longer. The USB-C ports in the front of the center console can also be used like the glove box port (dashcam, music, charging). The rear seat ports are still only for charging.

Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

I have no idea how the vehicle picks which device to use with the dashcam. I guess there's a port order with glovebox first.

I received the Trade in Text from Tesla. No change in EDD (Estimated Delivery: May 20 - June 03) and no VIN yet. Should I respond to the text with our trade in information or hold out till we receive the VIN?
I too got a text this morning. I also have the exact same delivery window you have! Hopefully we get a VIN soon.

I'm in Austin, TX and ordered on March 11th (MSM,FSD,18IN)

Reactions: jpaychek