Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So anyone with a apartment, rental, no garage, etc shouldn't have an EV? That's kinda a bad take imo

Many EV owners are in apartments, condos, etc and while it's not as convenient it's certainly reasonable to own an EV without a 'house'. Oddly enough I'm about to find myself in that same situation. My house was put on the market yesterday and we'll be moving to an oceanfront condo a few miles from here. I hate the fact that I just installed the charger and the timing didn't work out well as a soon-to-be EV owner but it was the right time to sell so we'll figure it out. A lot of complexes and businesses are installing level 2 chargers and between those and the superchargers, I'm not concerned.
It can work out well for certain situations like if you at least have a 120V outlet you can use where you park, have available charging at work, live very close to a Supercharger or have plenty of L2 destination charging where you frequently shop or dine. Some apartment complexes have charging stalls for residents.

But there’s a lot of people that have zero means of charging at work or home and have to go out of their way to Supercharge as their only way of charging. They’re just inconveniencing themselves for what? The “clout” of driving a Tesla? Couldn’t be me, but I guess some people feel that’s worth the trouble.

Also frequent Supercharging isn’t the best for battery longevity so relying only on that for charging isn’t ideal even if it’s conveniently located.

In the grand scheme of things for the long term, EV infrastructure needs to massively expand L2 charging at destinations. Shopping centers, malls, restaurants, public parking meters, etc. That will be the game changer that can allow for massive EV adoption rather than DCFC/Supercharging. DCFC is still needed of course along major routes of course for travel between major cities and states, but destination L2 charging is the key within a city.

Did it take people a while to hear anything from DCU after applying for a loan? I applied a week ago...I know they did a credit check as I got a notification about it, but I haven't heard anything from DCU at all. No email, no call, etc. Not sure if they are just really backed up or what.
I randomly got a FedEx package in the mail saying they need some additional info and to give them a call... curious as to what info is needed, but this couldn't have just been an email rather then needing to FedEx a letter to me?? 😆😆

Did it take people a while to hear anything from DCU after applying for a loan? I applied a week ago...I know they did a credit check as I got a notification about it, but I haven't heard anything from DCU at all. No email, no call, etc. Not sure if they are just really backed up or what.
Did you ever get an email from DCU? I’m in the same boat with you. I applied on the 5th, shows the pull ins my credit and still haven’t gotten an email ether. Should have applied from my account instead of the main page I guess.

It can work out well for certain situations like if you at least have a 120V outlet you can use where you park, have available charging at work, live very close to a Supercharger or have plenty of L2 destination charging where you frequently shop or dine. Some apartment complexes have charging stalls for residents.

But there’s a lot of people that have zero means of charging at work or home and have to go out of their way to Supercharge as their only way of charging. They’re just inconveniencing themselves for what? The “clout” of driving a Tesla? Couldn’t be me, but I guess some people feel that’s worth the trouble.

Also frequent Supercharging isn’t the best for battery longevity so relying only on that for charging isn’t ideal even if it’s conveniently located.

In the grand scheme of things for the long term, EV infrastructure needs to massively expand L2 charging at destinations. Shopping centers, malls, restaurants, public parking meters, etc. That will be the game changer that can allow for massive EV adoption rather than DCFC/Supercharging. DCFC is still needed of course along major routes of course for travel between major cities and states, but destination L2 charging is the key within a city.
I mean I wouldn't necessarily say it's for "clout" as you put it. I think a lot of people truly believe driving an EV is the responsible thing to do for the planet, and Tesla makes the best one. For a lot of people, some slight inconvenience is worth being an overall environmental steward. It's going to take a lot of people making some small sacrifices initially for the infrastructure to be pushed to change. I have a Tesla Wall Connector at my primary residence, but won't have any access to EV charging at my ski place, so I'll top off at a supercharger on my way up on Thursday. But in the meantime, I'm working with my board to help get chargers at our property. The more people that do this, the better, and the faster this can all happen.

Reactions: jpaychek
That’s pretty funny. I guess I should start watching for FedEx instead of my email. 😆
Yeah I was pretty surprised. I got a notification that I got a package from DCU...figure it was random paperwork...NOPE lol. Not sure what other info they need as I have excellent credit. But I'll probably give them a call sometime this week or early next week. The letter says the application will stay open for 14 days from applying, so I'm in no rush

Reactions: jpaychek
Just got approved for the loan at 3.24% for 72 months with tesla app (U.S Bank.)
I'm putting $10000 down.

Is that a good deal???
You can do the interest rate shuffle or just go with Tesla and refinance at a later date when (if) interest rates drop. I’m going with Tesla for now with no trade in to reduce the amount of things that can go wrong in getting the car. I’m also putting down %10K to reduce the note.

• Informative
Reactions: Junior86
So my VIN-confirmed May 8-14 delivery date shifted from May 9-15 yesterday, and then May 10-15 today without any text or further update. The fact that the range got tighter is encouraging, but it seems pretty clear at this point that there must have been something "not ready for primetime" with my order, such as the charge port situation. Makes me a bit uneasy, but hopefully the car is still coming by Sunday.

Well, shoot. I wish I'd known this info before I bought a 1TB MicroSD, designed for performance (as opposed to write endurance). I thought it would only start overwriting old video once the consumed storage space reached a certain threshold or something. I didn't know it was hard-set to only retain 1 hour of footage. That should be configurable, IMO.
Space consideration is more than recording time. If you want to save numerous clips and maintain the 1 hour recording then you’ll need a larger drive.

They’re just inconveniencing themselves for what? The “clout” of driving a Tesla?
If that's why you want a Tesla, that's fine. Here's a list that I think might be a bit more mainstream and could explain why those apartment-dwellers would be interested in a Tesla.

20 Reasons Why You Should Buy a Tesla. | ProVsCons

Tesla is certainly aware of the use of their Supercharger network; they excel at collecting and analyzing data. They could come up with all sorts of solutions, and one of them might be to franchise Superchargers. Maybe call them something else, maybe set them up as slightly slower chargers, but the idea would be to open the floodgates of people who want to attract paying Tesla customers in a time when there are simply not enough Superchargers.

In other words, if Superchargers are turning from a feature to a burden, Tesla is going to act. The Supercharger network is one of the big draws for Tesla's vehicles.

Space consideration is more than recording time. If you want to save numerous clips and maintain the 1 hour recording then you’ll need a larger drive.
Keep in mind that the current interface for managing clips is straight out of the stone age. There's a list and you can watch and delete clips. When I get a clip, I look at it and delete it. If I want to save one (which hasn't happened yet), I'm going to move it onto another device and delete it from the car.

Not the one originally talking to you about charging infra but I have a friend who does this just because it's a nicer car. Her dad has a MY and when she moved out, they test drove a bunch of different cars for her and finally ended up getting a model 3 for her.

BTW, have you figured out your charging situation in Seattle? Do you own a house or rent? My apartment has Blink chargers at 39c/kWh last I saw. I'm not sure if there are cheaper/better alternatives yet so I was wondering if you've done some research.

Last edited:
I received the Trade in Text from Tesla. No change in EDD (Estimated Delivery: May 20 - June 03) and no VIN yet. Should I respond to the text with our trade in information or hold out till we receive the VIN?
Wait until you get a VIN.
Negative. I don't plan on trading any car in. I'm assuming we're close to getting a VIN since we got that text? Can anyone else confirm?
Nope.
That's just an automated text.

Reactions: davidmaciv