Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have to ask what will you be naming your car? Since Speed Racer was my first love as a little girl, mine will be the Mach 6 (Speed Racer 2nd Gen electric car that can time travel for those that didn’t know).
Mach 6 is a great name! I'm probably going with Shooting Star. For those following the thread who are not Speed Racer fans, that's the name of Racer X's car, #9. Racer X, of course, is Speed's brother, living incognito... Go Speed Racer, Go!

I havent had any movement today, but my Distill web monitor has gone off 3 times today saying there was a change, but by the time I go refresh its not changed. I have a feeling either something is up with the site, or I am about to have a movement soon :)
Hope any movement isn't in the wrong direction. You have a OD 1 day before mine and same delivery location. I just got bumped back 6 weeks. Hope that you are more fortunate if there is movement.

Hope any movement isn't in the wrong direction. You have a OD 1 day before mine and same delivery location. I just got bumped back 6 weeks. Hope that you are more fortunate if there is movement.
ouch, where are you picking up from? I am doing the one that is on Westmont I believe.

For my EDD, I have a feeling its going to be either early (within the next two weeks or so) or pushed out into July.

Scenario 1- get the car early and have a good time with it and get to take it on vacation on 6/6-9th

Scenario 2 - more time to save for a bigger down payment :)

I would be happier with scenario 1 but 2 would be better financially lol.

I texted my SA the other day saying I would be open to one with the same specs but with 19s and they said they would keep an eye out, but I'm not hopeful. Nor not sure if I would do it as the range hit on the 19s has me concerned, as well as our weather around here, sounds like the 19s aren't that great. So I would more than likely need to get a "winter" tire set, so that's another $2-3K.

So many choices!! :)

Reactions: jpaychek
Nothing newsworthy about this. Seriously. You're acting out based on emotion. Would you feel better if the exact same thing had happened but instead of telling you it's there (just without an ECU), they never told you at all until it was ready for pickup?
You're not out any money, so there isn't any loss.
Frustration is one thing (trust me, at least you know your car exists!), but considering the current state of the world, nothing about this is unusual.
Also, put your deets in your sign. KGR8THX
It's not necessarily that other car manufacturers don't have similar problems. They just don't tell you.

Have not heard anything but very generic updates from my SA and the 888 number, so I'm fully expecting my delivery date to just shift to 5/19-5/23 at 10AM ET, as has been the case every day for about a week.

This is so many degrees of unacceptable, and it's weird to me that there's no mainstream attention about what's going on here. How a considerable number of electric cars were shipped without a charge port, how this issue has persisted for a week with no updates, why I've gotten mixed messages about what's happening, why there's no tracking on where this part is, why the delivery date isn't being updated to accurately reflect the situation, why Tesla is delivering cars that were produced AFTER those with the charge port issue, or why those affected have not been fast-tracked to new vehicles are all questions that warrant immediate answers.
I’m right here with you. Folks have been getting pushed out delivery timeframes (by a day each morning) for 2-3 weeks. Mine just got pushed this morning to May 19-23. Was originally supposed to get the car May 5th :) no eta on the part, while newer cars have the charge port ECU and getting delivered at that. While the earlier orders sit in the lot collecting dust.

This is definitely my frustration coming out (thanks for letting me vent) and at the end of the day we just have to be patient. Sucks, but it is what it is at this point.

Nothing newsworthy about this. Seriously. You're acting out based on emotion. Would you feel better if the exact same thing had happened but instead of telling you it's there (just without an ECU), they never told you at all until it was ready for pickup?
Frustration is one thing (trust me, at least you know your car exists!), but considering the current state of the world, nothing about this is unusual.
Exactly. This is the state of the world and the supply chain right now.

Laptop orders are delayed, appliances, furniture, chip shortage, tire shortage, lumber, car, etc..

Last edited:
My employer allows multiple banks. I've always had a set amount go into a different account for my car loans depending on the bank
Most employers allow you to change it yourself on some type of self-service portal these days. It’s often the same place where you can view your paycheck. Since I churn bank account bonuses for a few extra hundred or thousand dollars a year, I change my DD quite frequently.

r/churning for those interested.

Reactions: Guy Maughan
How much is your car worth? Well I still get daily emails from CarMax that will show you their most recent Teslas. Today they had a 2021 M3LR at 10k miles with no FDD and it was $61k. :eek:
Today they have a 2022 M3LR with 6k miles and they're asking $64.9k. I don't mean to post these too often but I thought it may make the wait a little easier, knowing the value that you're getting.

Reactions: jpaychek
I got the text to schedule delivery!!! Picking up in Lynnwood this Friday!

I just ordered an anti-glare screen protector and the little insert that makes the cup holder safe for skinny beverages! What else should I get?!
Floormats, jack pucks window shades for ceiling as well as windshield. Check out Techbros YouTube video for accessories and his must have checklist when you're doing your inspection on pick up day. Congratulations! I went with 3D spider from Teslarati and they look very nice.

Attitudes like this are why customer experiences don't improve. I know we all hate the idea of being a "Karen," but when hundreds (if not thousands) of cars are being held up due to an inexcusable manufacturing anomaly, and one of the biggest companies in the world can't even be honest or transparent about what's going on let alone provide an urgent fix, customers have every reason to demand better. This is the "age of the customer" in which brands are supposed to be competing on experience and commitment to long-term customer relationships, not product alone.

You have every right to demand better when a $5 water bottle shows up a day late without warning, because every company is supposed to be meeting the "Zappos standard." This is a $60K product from a brand that is supposed to be revolutionizing the auto industry and delivering a uniquely customer-centric and transparent experience

Also, for the record, I am out money. I was told I had to secure car insurance the day I received my VIN in order to proceed. That was more than 2 weeks ago. Which means I've now paid for insurance on a car I can't drive. And at this rate, it's likely I'll pay for an entire month for no reason.

Additionally, I arranged to have my long-term car rental returned on May 15, the day after my original May 8-14 window. I've since had to buy shorter-term car rentals tied to the false expectation delivery dates, which come at a higher daily cost than if I had just secured a longer-term rental from the jump. Not to mention the additional hassle and opportunity cost of going to/from car rental facilities.

Regarding your hypothetical, yes, I would rather they not have given me a narrow estimated delivery date if the car wasn't ready. For context, one of the reasons I bought my car directly through Tesla, as opposed to leasing/renting through Go Car and saving the down payment, was that Go Car couldn't provide any guarantee that their "June delivery date" would be honored on a car make known for supply & demand issues. Yet here's Tesla, who is as close as possible to the situation, blatantly providing false delivery dates. My car will 100% not be delivered today and probably not in the next 5, so why does my app say May 19-23?

Is my #1 option to have the car? Of course. But if I can't have the car, my #2 option is that they just be honest and transparent about what is happening. We all knew the charging port issue was at play, so why was I first told that the only issue is that my car was sitting in Alabama, and as soon as a truck can bring it to Florida on May 14, I'll get to pick it up?

You're also neglecting the other scenario in your hypothetical, which is that Tesla stop producing cars until all the existing ones are fitted with this charge port. Or if that's not practical from a logistics or business standpoint, re-assign the new cars to those with existing VINS, and then reassign the charge port cars to those who would be next in line.

Last edited:
Attitudes like this are why customer experiences don't improve. I know we all hate the idea of being a "Karen," but when hundreds (if not thousands) of cars are being held up due to an inexcusable manufacturing anomaly, and one of the biggest companies in the world can't even be honest or transparent about what's going on let alone provide an urgent fix, customers have every reason to demand better. This is the "age of the customer" in which brands are supposed to be competing on experience and commitment to long-term customer relationships, not product alone.

You have every right to demand better when a $5 water bottle shows up a day late without warning, because every company is supposed to be meeting the "Zappos standard." This is a $60K product from a brand that is supposed to be revolutionizing the auto industry and delivering a uniquely customer-centric and transparent experience

Also, for the record, I am out of money. I was told I had to secure car insurance the day I received my VIN in order to proceed. That was more than 2 weeks ago. Which means I've now paid for insurance on a car I can't drive. And at this rate, it's likely I'll pay for an entire month for no reason.

Additionally, I arranged to have my long-term car rental returned on May 15, the day after my original May 8-14 window. I've since had to buy shorter-term car rentals tied to the false expectation delivery dates, which come at a higher daily cost than if I had just secured a longer-term rental from the jump. Not to mention the additional hassle and opportunity cost of going to/from car rental facilities.

Regarding your hypothetical, yes, I would rather they not have given me a narrow estimated delivery date if the car wasn't ready. For context, one of the reasons I bought my car directly through Tesla, as opposed to leasing/renting through Go Car and saving the down payment, was that Go Car couldn't provide any guarantee that their "June delivery date" would be honored on a car make known for supply & demand issues. Yet here's Tesla, who is as close as possible to the situation, blatantly providing false delivery dates. My car will 100% not be delivered today and probably not in the next 5, so why does my app say May 19-23?

Is my #1 option to have the car? Of course. But if I can't have the car, my #2 option is that they just be honest and transparent about what is happening. We all knew the charging port issue was at play, so why was I first told that the only issue is that my car was sitting in Alabama, and as soon as a truck can bring it to Florida on May 14, I'll get to pick it up?

You're also neglecting the other scenario in your hypothetical, which is that Tesla stop producing cars until all the existing ones are fitted with this charge port. Or if that's not practical from a logistics or business standpoint, re-assign the new cars to those with existing VINS, and then reassign the charge port cars to those who would be next in line.
Contact your insurance company and let them know you don’t have your car yet. It’s a relatively simply fix to do.

If you’re out of money, then a Tesla was a terrible financial decision.

It’s an unfortunate situation you are in, but a lot of that is a you issue and not necessarily a Tesla issue. Accountability is lacking here.

Last edited:
The attitude of understanding the world is a sh1tshow right now? An "inexcusable manufacturing anomaly..."?? C'mon man, that's quite a stretch. If you believed what you typed about being the age of the customer, you'd cancel your Tesla order and buy something else.
Who's buying $5 bottles of water? And ordering them???
FYI, one of the most advanced vehicles ever built is NOT the same as a bottle of water. They're making a cutting edge product, and redesigning how it's manufactured. There's going to be issues, especially for us early adopters. Yes, this is still an early adoption phase IMO.
Also, for the record, I am out of money. I was told I had to secure car insurance the day I received my VIN in order to proceed. That was more than 2 weeks ago. Which means I've now paid for insurance on a car I can't drive. And at this rate, it's likely I'll pay for an entire month for no reason.
Out of money? Perhaps cancelling is your best option?
Sounds like poor planning on your part. You based all of these things off of an ESTIMATED Delivery Date. Not a Guaranteed Delivery Date.
Again, it sucks waiting, but that's what we signed up for. The best part is, you can back out at any time!

This is probably what people mistake the most about Tesla's delivery model. They provide an estimate of delivery date, not a guarantee. And they are the only company that even provides an estimate. Reading an estimate as any sort of guarantee is a user error.

I don't blame you or anyone else though for not interpreting the EDD correctly. This is the first time any of us has had a car maker share this sort of things with us, so we don't necessarily know what to expect. And given what we know now, it should be taken with a grain of salt. My guess is most people will have actual delivery fall comfortably within the range, but some will be outliers. Given that Tesla delivers hundreds of thousands of cars per quarter, the number of outliers can unfortunately be quite large.