Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My main concern is how much does that safety rating really swing, and do you have to drive like an angel to keep it at or above the 90 it quotes at? I’d say I’m a safe driver more often than not, not I plan to get AB and like to get on it sometimes when there’s space.
It's an algorithm, not a measure of how safely you drive.

Mostly you want to avoid tail gating, hard stops and hard turns. So just don't drive like the cliche BMW driver - and don't allow traffic around you to make it look like you do.

There's a really weird thing to be aware of. The safety score has an unsafe following score. It is a measurement of the ratio of time spent safely following versus the time spend not safely following. A safe following distance is between 1 and 3 seconds back. No more, no less. Unsafe following distance is less than 1 second, which qualifies as tailgating. The weird part is that if you always follow at 4 seconds back, you don't accumulate safe following time. Well, when somebody pulls in front of you in traffic and is less than 1 second ahead of you, you accumulate unsafe following time. If that's the only information Tesla has, they will say that you always follow at unsafe distances. So, spend some time following cars 2 seconds back to convince the car that you know how to follow.

It's an algorithm, not a measure of how safely you drive.

I wasn't aware of how the algorithm worked, and I was able to get a 94. By being aware of the algorithm's behavior I should be able to approach 100 - with the caveat that traffic will always introduce unsafe following time, and I'd take a hit for any aggressive moves required by defensive driving. Being below 90 really is a sign that you need to reconsider how you drive and/or you drive in a pretty dangerous environment. I can't imagine anyone driving on the DC beltway and keeping a high score.

Was never assigned an SA.
When you ordered your car, you should have received a text message on your phone that welcomed you to "the Tesla family". You can reply to that message to reach your service advisor. You can also call their customer support line at 888-518-3752 to speak with a "generic" SA about any questions you might have. I always relied on texting because it gave my SA as much time as they needed to answer my question or address my concern without me sitting on the phone with them.

Tonight got an amazing and yet depressing text.
After receiving my Vin 2 weeks ago I finally got the:
"Your model 3 is ready to schedule delivery"

Go on to schedule delivery and it's not for almost 2 weeks, June 4th. Got so excited and then so let down.

Almost 4 weeks from VIN to delivery, still excited regardless!
hey, at least you have a date locked in lol

Reactions: Soosh and jpaychek
Talked to my SA today and he confirmed I have ‘premium’ lights on my car which is not matrix lights. My VIN is 266 with a build date of 5/19 so the headlights are still an issue. I thought it had gone away 😩. If you have a VIN and check with the SA and are told “You have Premium lights”, your out of luck.
Shouldn't be called premium without the projectors everyone wants on their headlights. If you get what I mean. Joke.

I have just checked with my SA and he confirmed that my car has the matrix headlights :)
For the hell of it, I confirmed with another SA.... (I thought I didn't care what headlights were on there, but now I do lol), and he checked and re-confirmed that my car does have the "new updated headlights" as he put it. So looks like any VIN with 257xxx might the matrix lights?

Last edited:
For the hell of it, I confirmed with another SA.... (I thought I didn't care what headlights were on there, but now I do lol), and he checked and re-confirmed that my car does have the "new updated headlights" as he put it. So looks like any VIN with 257xxx might have them?
It seems from reports I’ve seen the changeover happened around 259xxx up to 266xxx so far.