Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Random news: Tesla has a contract with Samsung to obtain new cameras that are 4-5 times higher resolution than the current cameras. Production of the camera modules may start as early as July. No idea when they might show up in vehicles.

I wonder if this news will trigger a bunch of holds for people interested in FSD.
Putting mine on hold right now

LOL.
So, Tesla will give you a 3 day window to get your car. That's it. Period. If you can't get your car on one of the days they provide, you lose the car.
Just an FYI.
I am wondering if this is still true for those who have already paid for the car, in cash. Part of preparing for delivery allows you to electronically pay for the balance of the car in advance of its arrival. Would paying for the car in full result in a different approach to the 3-day window?

Does anyone have an idea of how long the trade-in valuation process takes? I submitted the information on my order Monday afternoon, but it's still showing that details are being reviewed

M3LR, Black, Black, Aero, no FSD, East Coast
OD: 4/2
EDD 1: Jun-Jul
EDD 2 4/30: 06/10-07/15
EDD 3 5/16: 06/18-07/16
EDD 4 5/29: 06/23-07/07
EDD 5 6/7: 06/24-07/08

I think you can just reach out to a SA to have your trade in removed. I initially was going to trade in my previously vehicle, but sold it to CarMax prior since they were offering me 3K more than Tesla. I couldn't pass that up.
I was looking at Tesla trade in rates on my car, and they were $6k less than Carmax. Carmax is great, but I ended up selling it on Autotrader for $11k more than Tesla, $5k more than Carmax. Tesla's trade-in values seem to be so much lower than market.

I am wondering if this is still true for those who have already paid for the car, in cash. Part of preparing for delivery allows you to electronically pay for the balance of the car in advance of its arrival. Would paying for the car in full result in a different approach to the 3-day window?
That sounds like one that an SA could answer. My guess would be that they'd happily hold it if they have the money in hand. Holding or not holding is entirely a policy decision, and I've heard of sites doing holds. Just remember that you're paying for a car without inspecting it. It's apparently pretty difficult to get money back out of Tesla. One guy has been battling Tesla for two years to get his money back for a returned Model X.

Tesla's trade-in values seem to be so much lower than market.
Yep. That seems to have always been true. I suspect that Tesla just turns them around and sells them to some company like Carmax or Carvana and are trying to make a few grand on each transfer. The only used cars that Tesla sells are Teslas.

Well you kind of helped confirm I need to wait until the last week of June to hit the "I'm ready" button. I am in the same boat and released my VIN last week.

EDIT: Guess i should have helped answer your question as well. Others have reported doing what you did and actually getting the same VIN assigned because they didn't wait long enough for it to be assigned to someone else.

Well you kind of helped confirm I need to wait until the last week of June to hit the "I'm ready" button. I am in the same boat and released my VIN last week.

EDIT: Guess i should have helped answer your question as well. Others have reported doing what you did and actually getting the same VIN assigned because they didn't wait long enough for it to be assigned to someone else.

I agree with this assessment. Tapping that button literally means you are ready to take delivery, so if there is a car ready to be delivered, they'll assign it to you with an early pickup. Sounds like in this case it is the same car that was assigned to you.
Thanks all for the responses. Put it back on hold... :/

Random news: Tesla has a contract with Samsung to obtain new cameras that are 4-5 times higher resolution than the current cameras. Production of the camera modules may start as early as July. No idea when they might show up in vehicles.

I wonder if this news will trigger a bunch of holds for people interested in FSD.
A little more on the deal - Samsung wins multi-billion dollar Tesla camera deal

I would imagine this will be an upgrade that you could add later but it will be interesting to see at what cost.

Does anyone have an idea of how long the trade-in valuation process takes? I submitted the information on my order Monday afternoon, but it's still showing that details are being reviewed

EDD 1:
Jun-Jul
48-72 hours was how long it took for me

LOL.
So, Tesla will give you a 3 day window to get your car. That's it. Period. If you can't get your car on one of the days they provide, you lose the car.
Just an FYI.
i feel this is a case by case scenario but for the most part i agree with you. My dates were June 18-22nd then when i got my VIN through the source code i went in person to tesla and i got them to schedule me for delivery on the 23rd as i will be on vacation in that same timeframe.

I’m
Got my Tesla dealer automated call asking me to push 1 to confirm appointment tomorrow or 2 to cancel.
I have never in my life been so careful not to accidentally push 2. 😂
Same call about an hour ago and now I’m really starting to believe it’s going to happen.

I sent an email to the location seeing if they could bump me up to anything earlier but at least it seems tomorrow is definitely happening. Can change my “84 years” Titanic rose gif avi soon.

Figured I'd pop back in here. I ordered my car March 15 and was lucky to get one that someone canceled while it was enroute to Indianapolis. Unfortunately I have made every excuse to leave home and go for random drives, and the result is 2940mi in 30 days of ownership. No complaints about the car. Here's a tip I haven't seen anywhere. The default "cabin overheat protection" option will turn your ac on anytime the interior temp reaches something like 105f. This was KILLING my battery and i couldn't believe how it was losing 12-18% while sitting idle in my work parking lot. Turned that off & opted for scheduling a departure time from my work address. Car is frosty cold when I get in and battery is about where I left it. Also- constantly getting on the app wakes the car up and can kill the battery. You'll be tempted to check the live cameras every 8 minutes, but just refrain. Also if you work in a safe/ secure area, consider not enabling sentry mode. It's also a battery drainer.

Stay strong folks, the wait is excruciating but when you drive off in your new car this whole period of angst melts away & you'll never even think of it again. It's easier said than done, but try taking a break from refreshing the app every 15 minutes checking for a VIN/EDD & getting on here trying to read between the lines to figure out when you'll get your car. Nothing will speed it up. Shop for accessories and plan a couple of weekend trips you'll take when you have your new ride.

Good luck!

Oh, one more thing. Look up your electricity rate if you'll be charging at home & plug it into the app when you get your car. I've spent about $0.04/mile on electricity. Compared to my 17mpg truck and $5.xx gas I've saved over $800 the first month of ownership. That'll decrease dramatically when I start driving "normal miles" as I've averaged around 100miles/per day instead of my usual ~55.

EDD 1:
Jun-Jul
I got mine the same day, but it's a POS old Prius so I think it was pretty easy for them.

The default "cabin overheat protection" option will turn your ac on anytime the interior temp reaches something like 105f. This was KILLING my battery and i couldn't believe how it was losing 12-18% while sitting idle in my work parking lot.
For those not familiar, there is overheat protection that just turns the fan on. That's the way I have it. It moderates the temperature, but it'll still get hot in there on a sunny warm day. I also have a windshield reflector in, but with a glass roof there's still a bucketload of energy getting into the car. That said, it's a mostly sunny 79F day here and I think the fan recently came on because I've seen the temperature drop from 120F to 109F (and falling) while I've composed this message. The fan may be helped a bit by clouds. I'm a bit nervous about what will happen when we hit the upper 90s here.

• Informative
Reactions: CEEV and jpaychek