Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regrettably I cancelled my order. For some reason the sales tax overnight went from $4k to almost $10k putting the all in price just over $70k. I'm not willing to pay that much for a Tesla M3 LR. For 15% more now I can get a '22 Vette Stingray Convertible 2LT at the ~$5k sales tax rate. Not saying the Vette is better but I've always wanted one and now is the time to pull the trigger. I'll get a Tesla at some point but not for a bit. Prices just went up I read.

On the bright note... someone will hopefully get their Tesla sooner now..lol

• Tesla Model 3: $2,500 increase, from $54,490 to $57,990.
  • Tesla Model Y Performance: $2,000 increase, from $67,990 to $69,990.
  • Tesla Model Y Long Range: $3,000 increase, from $62,990 to $65,990
  • Tesla Model S Long Range : $5,000 increase, from $99,990 to $104,990
  • Tesla Model X Long Range: $6,000 increase, from $114,990 to $120,990

Regrettably I cancelled my order. For some reason the sales tax overnight went from $4k to almost $10k putting the all in price just over $70k. I'm not willing to pay that much for a Tesla M3 LR. For 15% more now I can get a '22 Vette Stingray Convertible 2LT at the ~$5k sales tax rate. Not saying the Vette is better but I've always wanted one and now is the time to pull the trigger. I'll get a Tesla at some point but not for a bit. Prices just went up I read.

This has me all sorts of confused. How did Arizona sales tax more than double overnight, and where on earth is a 2022 vette available for $81k?

Not sure how your area can go $4k to $10k sales tax? what states or city you in?

Why cancel? You cannot get the 250 back, may as well have let it play out, might have been worthwhile in the end to have had the option at least.

Not sure how your area can go $4k to $10k sales tax? what states or city you in?
The short answer is you can't. The longer answer is I'm not sure if they were making up an excuse to cancel the order, being disingenuous, or generally confused. They claim to be in Arizona which has a 5.6% sales tax on new vehicles plus city taxes. The $4K seems roughly in line with a Model 3 LR for Arizona state + whatever city sales tax. However, to jump to $10k from $4,000 has an implied vehicle price of $130,000....

Last edited:
Ended up changing my order to a P this afternoon after being discouraged by EDD changes and not knowing if I would get a car in 1,2,or 3 months. Got a VIN within 2 hours with pickup between June 25-July 1.

I admire all of you who have been able to wait it out. I have enjoyed learning from the group and wish you all the best in your Tesla journey.

Now I need to look into starting an Only Fans to afford the upgrade. What's the market for an average build mid 30 year old male?

Ended up changing my order to a P this afternoon after being discouraged by EDD changes and not knowing if I would get a car in 1,2,or 3 months. Got a VIN within 2 hours with pickup between June 25-July 1.

I admire all of you who have been able to wait it out. I have enjoyed learning from the group and wish you all the best in your Tesla journey.

Now I need to look into starting an Only Fans to afford the upgrade. What's the market for an average build mid 30 year old male?
Based on you original OD, you would have had that (now more valuable LR) in about a month if not sooner.

Reactions: Nfletcher
The short answer is you can't. The longer answer is I'm not sure if they were making up an excuse to cancel the order, being disingenuous, or generally confused. They claim to be in Arizona which has a 5.6% sales tax on new vehicles plus city taxes. The $4K seems roughly in line with a Model 3 LR for Arizona state + whatever city sales tax. However, to jump to $10k from $4,000 has an implied vehicle price of $130,000....
Just checked my account with tax, registration fee, and a tire fee: barely over $5k.

Based on you original OD, you would have had that (now more valuable LR) in about a month if not sooner.
That's not necessarily true. First month of quarter is slow, not to mention all the SR owners switching over to LR jumping to the front of the line. My point was that I was becoming discouraged of the unknown and knew I had pretty good odds of taking delivery of a P even sooner. Will I regret it later, possibly. But I will enjoy the ride in the meantime.

Reactions: Maric

Paperwork errors happen all the time.
I think that was an impulsive move to cancel the order instead of contacting your SA to clear things up.
Sounds like a convenient excuse to cancel your order.

That's not necessarily true. First month of quarter is slow, not to mention all the SR owners switching over to LR jumping to the front of the line. My point was that I was becoming discouraged of the unknown and knew I had pretty good odds of taking delivery of a P even sooner. Will I regret it later, possibly. But I will enjoy the ride in the meantime.
I switched from SR and do not see how I have jumped to front of line? I see myself right in line where someone with my original OD would be for a LR... Do you mean those with really outstanding SR dates from like last year jumping to front of line? Maybe a slower first month of qtr build would not be a bad thing with some of the horror stories I am seeing on YouTube with the end of qtr push deliveries on the Y's? Either way performance is an awesome ride, enjoy it.

I took delivery of my M3LR this morning. At 8:20am, I moved one car out of the garage to make room and went back inside to get the dogs ready for a walk. At 8:24am, I walked out, and the M3 was sitting in my driveway. Aside from a small black mark near the driver's door (easily fixed), everything looks great – matrix headlights, mobile charger (I ordered 03/12), and Michelin tires. I didn't notice any issues with paint, glass, panel gaps, etc.

I swapped out the floor mats, put a screen protector on (probably the first time I've successfully attached any screen protector), and took it on a drive. For those in the OC/SB County area, I took it on a drive through Carbon Canyon and had a blast. I was worried I would feel cramped or simply uncomfortable since I was going from an Explorer to a very different (and smaller) car, but it wasn't an issue, and no longer paying $90+ to fill up my tank every week shouldn't be an issue either. It took a few miles to get used to the one-pedal driving, and I'm still not the greatest at it, but I can tell I'm going to prefer it over traditional "two-pedal driving."

The hardest part will be figuring out what to do with the additional 15 hours in my day since I no longer have to refresh the app and account page waiting for any sign of delivery.

Anyway, I guess I graduated, but as someone said, this group made the time fly by, so thank you. Someone else said the wait is worth it, and they're 100% right.

I switched from SR and do not see how I have jumped to front of line? I see myself right in line where someone with my original OD would be for a LR... Do you mean those with really outstanding SR dates from like last year jumping to front of line?
Yes to the last question. You are exactly where you would've been had your ordered the AWD to start; jumping anyone that had ordered a LR after not only your switch, but your original SR order date. The theretical issue he is raising is that their are many people with outstanding SR range orders earlier than either of yours. If they make the switch, just as you did, they'd move to the front of the line as the longest outstanding order. So for him, wanting the car sooner, jumping to the P was worth it rather than face what we assume is probably more than a month wait for people not getting cars this quarter based on experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpaychek and MattH
How is it up $2500? Old price was $55,990. Up $2000.
It looks like the web used the March price of $54,490 instead of the April price of $55,990, and then had a slight issue with subtraction (math is hard). With the new price at $57,990, that's a $2,000 increase. And to learn that, I had to spend at least 15-20 minutes because I couldn't find a historical price chart for Teslas, just bits and pieces here and there. The only way I found an article about the April increase was to search for the price that you supplied. I haven't been paying a lot of attention to the increases, and there have been so many...

• Informative
Reactions: jpaychek and CEEV