Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What makes you say that getting a M3P will make you sink more money into it?
So first off, obviously it costs more. What do you get for that higher cost? Higher top speed- to me that's irrelevant, no one is going above 100 MPH in a normal day. A spoiler- eh ok cool. Aluminum pedals- eh ok cool also. The acceleration- all teslas go really really fast and you can buy perfomance boost if you really need more acceleration. You are also giving up range to do this which to me is more important.

Now the downsides:
1) The tires- as I have said before they are performance tires not all weather. They are not only useless but dangerous in temps below 40F and/or snow. They also really need to be stored in a place that doesn't freeze as well. So you need to buy a set of tires for winter thats 2-4k AND you need a place to store the performance ones. Plus time and labor to change the tires. Also using non performance tires can impact your acceleration and range even further negating some of the previously mentioned benefits of the P.
2) The brakes- the large performance brakes require more maintenance and are more prone to rust if not used/car is stored. Also these larger brakes limit your options for replacement wheels/tires
3) The 20 inch wheels themselves- require a larger tire that is more prone to damage on pot holes and uneven roads. Also may be a more bumpy ride
4) Insurance- As this is a performance car some insurances may charge a higher premium (on an already high premium) to cover the car

As such the benefits of the car, to me, don't seem to outweigh the drawbacks. However, if you live in an area with excellent roads that never gets cold and you plan on taking the car to the track, then yeah this might be the car for you. But if you want it as a daily driver you are likely going to have a lot more issues then someone who got the LR or SR+. Ultimately its up to the buyer what they want but I strongly suggest people looking to go from LR to P strongly do further research.

@ZZ118 I agree with your points. Also the cost of replacing those rubber bands, ahem, 20” tires is going to be really expensive if you get a flat
When I went to the showroom the first time I told my SA I wanted the P. He flat out said you live in NY you don't want the P. He then told me all the stuff I wrote above. He explained that while he was there to sell cars (he doesn't make commission) he was seeing many angry customers who bought the P thinking more $$ = better car only to regret it soon after when the tires popped or had to be changed in winter. Long story short I didn't get the P lol.

My understanding is the tires are at least 500$/piece plus installation on the low end

• Informative
Reactions: phaheem
I really want to switch to the white interior but after texting with an SA and seeing “This is something we can do, although this has the possibility of pushing your order date out extensively (we are currently estimating July 22 - August 19).” I’m really on the fence.

Has anyone made the switch? And how did it impact your EDD? On the site if I was just starting the process it would push me forward significantly.
I just switched my interior to white a few days ago, no change to my EDD yet.

Reactions: QueenSundodger
I really want to switch to the white interior but after texting with an SA and seeing “This is something we can do, although this has the possibility of pushing your order date out extensively (we are currently estimating July 22 - August 19).” I’m really on the fence.

Has anyone made the switch? And how did it impact your EDD? On the site if I was just starting the process it would push me forward significantly.
Wait time either way. So don't worry about the EDD and order what you really want. ;) No regrets #Team white/white

Reactions: HeatherW22
More expensive tires, thinner sidewalls and bigger wheels more prone to damage, need separate winter wheels and tires if you have cold winters, less efficient so more electricity to charge.
Last time I was at the service center, some poor dude showed up with his M3P on a flatbed. A pothole took out two of his wheels. Both were bent. Stay away from those low profile tires.

When Autopilot implements Pothole Avoidance (Beta), Tesla owners will rejoice.
Begin limbering up for rejoicing - but no rejoicing just yet. The latest software will look for bad road surfaces and adjust the suspension on Model S and X, but nothing about trying to avoid such surfaces for now. Detection is the first step.

Tesla vehicles are now scanning for potholes and rough roads to help avoid them

The article makes mention of an earlier statement by Elon about detecting and remembering pothole locations. I think we all have to remember that Elon often lives in a world of aspirations.

Tesla Autopilot is going to detect potholes and make mini-maps to remember them

Last time I was at the service center, some poor dude showed up with his M3P on a flatbed. A pothole took out two of his wheels. Both were bent. Stay away from those low profile tires.
I’ve had plenty of cars with low profile tires- never had any issues. Most of the time people that damaged them don’t know how to drive. I have LR on order, but might swap to P. I’ve tried to convince myself that LR is the way to go, but I still have that “what if” itch.

I'm going to say it depends maybe on how close your EDD is. I've made a lot of changes and my EDD hasn't changed but I just placed my order last month so it's a few ways out for my delivery date.

So does a premium paint color = sooner delivery?
Not necessarily. Tesla seems to do cars in batches and thats how you are assigned VINS. So a person with a white/black car is in a different "line" then a person with a white/white car. MSM and white are the two most common colors so the lines for them are longer. It doesn't really seem to effect EDD too much but a rarer combination might (key word might) get you the car slightly sooner.