Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let us know if you see a VIN in this quarter. In past quarters, Tesla has steered clear of sending rail shipments out near the end of the quarter (September 30). I'd be particularly surprised if they did now, given the possibility of a strike. If you look at the folks talking about getting VINs now, they're all in the west.

As for using the Model S connector; absolutely. At the vehicle end, they're the same. That said, the hardware of mobile connectors has changed over time, so you can't mix and match hardware from the two generations of mobile connectors. For example, you can't use a Generation 2 NEMA adapter with a Generation 1 Mobile Connector.
I just got an update that overlaps into q4 as well and I’m on the east coast. I wonder how flexible they are in letting some slip into q4. I know end of quarter rush and all but a sale is a sale…right?

Now this is all speculation so take it as you will but its based on what I've seen here over the past 6 months plus some research:

There seems to be two systems that tesla uses. The EDD algorithim and the VIN matching service. They are and they aren't mutually exclusive. The EDD algoithim seems to look at production and OD data and use that to gauge a EDD. As the EDD gets closer (and the OD matures) the VIN system starts pulling from that pool.

However there is a catch there. When production ramps up the EDD system seems to get a little too optimistic as it is looking at current production (which is >>> average production) and this seems to cause it to start throwing out 2 week EDDs that are unrealistic. I know this first hand as I got a 2 week EDD in June during q2 push.

At this point in time the east coast shipments have likely ended. It will take 2 weeks to deliver the car and thats without any delays. There may be one more train or so leaving but its very very unlikely. AND if that train does exist it will likely only be running April/May orders. The VIN system has likely been reset to only start giving west coast orders.

If you are east coast right now just ignore the EDDs. You will not be getting a car this month. The best you can hope for is late Oct-early Nov. (of course you might get lucky and snag a unicorn but that is the exception not the rule.)

Sorry to be a little harsh and rain on anyones parade but I'm trying to save you extra frustration. Goodluck!

I just got an update that overlaps into q4 as well and I’m on the east coast. I wonder how flexible they are in letting some slip into q4. I know end of quarter rush and all but a sale is a sale…right?
A sale is a sale thats the point. Tesla does not use dealerships so they don't get paid (cant count as a sale in report) until you pay them AND take delivery. An outstanding order doesn't count. So look at it from their perspective. Do you send a car by rail to NY that will take 2 weeks to be delivered AND may be delayed due to a strike or anything else. Or just give the car to someone a couple hours away from the factory that you could literally hand deliver if you so choose. I know it sucks but that is the way they conduct business at this time.

Remember there are only 19-20 days left in the q3. A 2 week shipment is really playing it tight from tesla perspective.

Again not trying to dampen anyones day (and exceptions happen) but when I started here some of the "older" guys here told me the hard truths and while it sucks I was glad in the long run cause it kept me from getting my hopes up.

Let us know if you see a VIN in this quarter. In past quarters, Tesla has steered clear of sending rail shipments out near the end of the quarter (September 30). I'd be particularly surprised if they did now, given the possibility of a strike. If you look at the folks talking about getting VINs now, they're all in the west.

As for using the Model S connector; absolutely. At the vehicle end, they're the same. That said, the hardware of mobile connectors has changed over time, so you can't mix and match hardware from the two generations of mobile connectors. For example, you can't use a Generation 2 NEMA adapter with a Generation 1 Mobile Connector.
Ok that makes me feel a little better. I still have to apply for financing and the trade in offer. In my previous Tesla experiences it’s never been early or even on time. This caught me by surprise.

A sale is a sale thats the point. Tesla does not use dealerships so they don't get paid (cant count as a sale in report) until you pay them AND take delivery. An outstanding order doesn't count. So look at it from their perspective. Do you send a car by rail to NY that will take 2 weeks to be delivered AND may be delayed due to a strike or anything else. Or just give the car to someone a couple hours away from the factory that you could literally hand deliver if you so choose. I know it sucks but that is the way they conduct business at this time.

Remember there are only 19-20 days left in the q3. A 2 week shipment is really playing it tight from tesla perspective.

Again not trying to dampen anyones day (and exceptions happen) but when I started here some of the "older" guys here told me the hard truths and while it sucks I was glad in the long run cause it kept me from getting my hopes up.
Actually makes me feel better about having more time to plan it out. Thanks!

Reactions: ZZ118
Now this is all speculation so take it as you will but its based on what I've seen here over the past 6 months plus some research:

There seems to be two systems that tesla uses. The EDD algorithim and the VIN matching service. They are and they aren't mutually exclusive. The EDD algoithim seems to look at production and OD data and use that to gauge a EDD. As the EDD gets closer (and the OD matures) the VIN system starts pulling from that pool.

However there is a catch there. When production ramps up the EDD system seems to get a little too optimistic as it is looking at current production (which is >>> average production) and this seems to cause it to start throwing out 2 week EDDs that are unrealistic. I know this first hand as I got a 2 week EDD in June during q2 push.

At this point in time the east coast shipments have likely ended. It will take 2 weeks to deliver the car and thats without any delays. There may be one more train or so leaving but its very very unlikely. AND if that train does exist it will likely only be running April/May orders. The VIN system has likely been reset to only start giving west coast orders.

If you are east coast right now just ignore the EDDs. You will not be getting a car this month. The best you can hope for is late Oct-early Nov. (of course you might get lucky and snag a unicorn but that is the exception not the rule.)

Sorry to be a little harsh and rain on anyones parade but I'm trying to save you extra frustration. Goodluck!
Thanks for the insight. I remember going through all this when I bought my model S. This new EDD totally threw me off.

I just happen to swipe on my Tesla app and my delivery est was Sept 24-Oct 8. Last week it was January-April 2023! Is this happening to anyone else? I didn’t even order the charger yet! Can I use my model S mobile cable to charge it in the meantime?
I wouldn't get too excited. Those have been my dates for at least a week now and I still don't have a VIN. Given that we are on the East Coast, it is unlikely we will get a VIN until late Oct/early Nov unless a local reject pops up.

Hi All,
I ordered my M3LR on 7/12, MSM, White int, 18 Aero, EAP, no FSD. Picked it up yesterday in Dedham, MA. It's pretty much flawless, did a detailed inspection and found no issues. I'm not ruling out some 'new car excitement blindness' though lol. Drove it around for 4 hours yesterday and it is an amazing driving experience. 1 pedal driving and instant acceleration make the car completely worth it! It's quiet, smooth, and the sound system is great.

I do have one issue, I have no way of charging it. I received no cables of any kind with the car. I did order the mobile kit back in July and have heard nothing from them. I have emailed them 3 times for an update, no response. And now I'm seeing people have ordered the kit a week ago and are already receiving it?? So I cancelled that order and just ordered another one. But I have to say, that is absolutely ridiculous. The fact that the car didn't come with any way to charge it is laughable and beyond irritating.

Hi All,
I ordered my M3LR on 7/12, MSM, White int, 18 Aero, EAP, no FSD. Picked it up yesterday in Dedham, MA. It's pretty much flawless, did a detailed inspection and found no issues. I'm not ruling out some 'new car excitement blindness' though lol. Drove it around for 4 hours yesterday and it is an amazing driving experience. 1 pedal driving and instant acceleration make the car completely worth it! It's quiet, smooth, and the sound system is great.

I do have one issue, I have no way of charging it. I received no cables of any kind with the car. I did order the mobile kit back in July and have heard nothing from them. I have emailed them 3 times for an update, no response. And now I'm seeing people have ordered the kit a week ago and are already receiving it?? So I cancelled that order and just ordered another one. But I have to say, that is absolutely ridiculous. The fact that the car didn't come with any way to charge it is laughable and beyond irritating.
Mobile Connector shows in stock on Tesla website. I would cancel your previous order and place a new order. Good luck!

Thanks for the insight. I remember going through all this when I bought my model S. This new EDD totally threw me off.
You guys are welcome. I would recommend shopping for car insurance (if you need to) asap and/or starting to shop for financing. Teslas are very expensive to insure and the rates for some companies (in my opinion) were insane. I'm glad I did it before getting the VIN. Get everything in order so once the VIN is assigned you will be all ready. For east coast you will have about 10 days from VIN to delivery to be prepared. Best of luck

Hi All,

Worse comes to worst, you'll have to use your nearest supercharger, or find (free) level 2 chargers near you.
Are there chargers at your workplace?
1662910580872.png

Heading out to pick up the Tesla now! Will post an update this evening :)
congrats, i am sure this is really exciting. I also have a 350 VIN. If its not too much trouble when you post the update can you let us know if the car came with the matrix headlights and ryzen processor? I would guess given the similarity of our VINs and build specifications our cars should basically be production line twins lol

Worse comes to worst, you'll have to use your nearest supercharger, or find (free) level 2 chargers near you.
View attachment 851373

Unfortunately not. The only chargers around me that I know of are evgo and those in 20 minutes in the opposite direction from me. SC are all 30 minutes away, also in the wrong direction. I'll take a drive and charge up somewhere today and that should get me through the weekly commute, it's just silly they sell you a car with no way to charge it at home. I'm loving the car though so I'm not that upset.
I'll have to look into the free chargers, thanks for the advice!

View attachment 851373
So the issue with the charger was likely this. They're not making the same kit anymore. The old one before August had only the standard plug. The new one has the standard and Nema 14-50 plug. Likely that was the issue with them shipping it to you. Really stupid on tesla part but I wouldn't put that past them.

@Jason413